Names Searched Right Now:
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    We used Tide Free and Clear, as well as other unscented brands. We never used Dreft. Also used unscented fabric softener with no problems.

As for the breastfeeding, it really isn't free. You will need to make sure you get nursing bras, breast pads, bags for pumped milk, bottles for others to feed the baby at some point so they can take a bottle after you go to work, and LANOLIN. As many pointed out, sometimes breastfeeding does not go as planned. I was really stressed with my first daughter and had a problem with milk production. I had to use formula because I couldn't make enough. You just don't know. I would make sure you set aside at least some money for supplies and just in case things don't go how you planned.
    Proud Mommy to Maeby Alana born 8/6/10
    Expecting Girl #2 Saela Eliza due 7/12/14

I know someone mentioned Target formula. If you do need to supplement with formula for whatever reason, my daughter's doctor told me these store brands are made by the exact companies that make Similac, Enfomil, etc. they just sell them under a different company name. My daughter was exclusively formula feed from 3 months on after we had troubles, and I bought Target formula. I spent maybe $60/month on formula. Obviously, breast milk is best, and some babies can't tolerate regular formulas, but it doesn't have to brake the bank to formula feed if it becomes necessary.
    Mom to Emberlee Shea. Expecting #2 Aug 2014.

We also used target formula when Maeby got older since we had to supplement. We plan to use it from the start with baby #2 if we have to supplement again. However, we got a ton of coupons (I don't even know where they all came from!) for enfamil formula and we used to get it almost for free!
    Proud Mommy to Maeby Alana born 8/6/10
    Expecting Girl #2 Saela Eliza due 7/12/14

On formula- if you end up needing it, definitely sign up for all of the free samples you can get!

A lot of companies offer free samples of things for new babies. You can get free diapers and great diaper coupons this way, too. Just make sure you are on all possible mailing lists. Some grocery stores have kids clubs where they send you stuff, too. And sign up for Dolly Parton to send your kid a free book every month if that is available where you live.

You don't have to spend a lot on baby stuff. The expensive part is childcare and/or the lost income of one of the parents.

Oh, I just wanted to add on breastfeeding- health insurance companies are now required to pay for your pump (in America.) If you are on WIC, WIC will provide you with a free pump to borrow and you also get extra food as a breastfeeding mom. My sister just had a baby and first used the WIC pump and then got one to keep through her insurance company. She said that they were both the same, high quality pump, made by Medala. The insurance company gave her options, WIC just had the one kind. A good breastpump is expensive, so this is a great way to help with the start up costs of breastfeeding.