Names Searched Right Now:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    I had planned on breastfeeding before I had children but then discovered after having my eldest that don't I have milk ducts!!! Feeding my baby became crazy expensive when I had planned on it being (nearly) free! With Elizabeth I spent well over $2000 on formula, nappies (diapers) and clothes for her before her 1st birthday. With Annabelle probably $1200, and now Madeleine is 6 week sold on Friday and I have already spent at least $300 just on nappies and formula :-/ Having said that though the cost of living in Australia is much much higher than in the US.
    The 3 Princesses in my life...

Elizabeth Hope
    Annabelle Cadence
    Madeleine Pearl

Oh, yes, the breastfeeding. I planned on doing that too and it turned out I don't produce enough. If you're in the US, Look ingot WIC. Just go to your local Depart of Human Services and ask about it. They give you milk, bread, cheese, etc. Food essentials, and they'll give you 10 cans of formula a month if you aren't breastfeeding, like 6 if you are supplementing, and even if you are breastfeeding, they'll give you the food and baby cereal, baby food, things like that until your baby is 5. And it's a doctor there for the baby to visit sometimes, a nutritionist and a lactation consultant for free.

It really helps keep the money down.
    Last edited by dantea; December 18th, 2013 at 10:59 AM.
    Mother, Hellenic Pagan Priestess, and Resident Greek name expert ^_^ Call me Dantea or Remy

Kith nor Kin -- http://kithnorkin.blogspot.com/ Chapter 30 and Epilogue is up. It's done!
    Angel's Art -- https://www.facebook.com/danteasart
    http://covertocoverediting.webs.com/ -- Editing services available for cheap.

Proud Mama to:
    Persephone Elysia Willow -- June 5th 2013
    TTC #2 by Christmas 2014

I never bought Dreft. We use free and clear detergent anyhow (whatever brand is cheapest in the free and clear) and we haven't had any problems with that. In fact, our son has eczema and when we tried Dreft that someone gave us, it really irritated his skin.

I agree with not stocking too many diapers before the baby gets here. Different brands fit different babies and then some babies are also unexpectedly sensitive to certain brands.

We did cloth diapers, so our biggest expense was probably formula- that cost us $80/month. I am sure that you will do wonderfully with breastfeeding! But if you end up needing to use formula, check out the Target generic brand. They have imitations of all of the popular brands so you can try different ones and they are about half the cost. It is like Designer Imposters for formula.

Another big unexpected expense was food for us. Our son was placed with us unexpectedly, so we didn't have time to plan ahead on this. For the first month or so, everyone brought us food and it was awesome. But then of course we had to start cooking for ourselves again. We were exhausted and sleep deprived and babies are a lot of work and it is also difficult to cook while holding a baby. Take-out was way too easy. So I would say either budget that in or stock up on freezer meals.

The only other thing I would say is make sure you know all of the details about your health insurance for the baby. Are well child visits covered, or will you have to pay a copay? How much is the copay? How much are prescriptions? What about emergency room visits? If you don't qualify for Medicaid (but check, because they just expanded the limits, especially for children) I would make sure to have a budget just for that, because you don't want to be stressing out about how you'll pay for medical bills.

Arm and hammer unscented.

I have an allergy to the dye/perfume in most detergents and have reacted to Dreft in the past (that awesome smell has to come from somewhere!) Not only is it ok to stick with a free and clear deterg, it's better.
    mom to livvy jozefa 7.10.13

Like lineska and taryn, I don't get why Dreft is the gold standard for baby laundry. It's basically the same thing as regular Tide in terms of ingredients as far as I can tell, aside from a "gentler" scent. I think it's kind of like the pink Johnson's lotion - everyone buys it because it's what babies are "supposed" to smell like... even if the ingredients aren't the best for lots of babies. So, that said, I've had good luck with my girl's mild eczema and Ecos unscented, but even the Magnolia & Lily scent they've got at our Costco doesn't seem to bother her. We're generally pretty low-scent around here, but that one doesn't bother me.

For breastfeeding, I recommend having money set aside for seeing a lactation consultant at home. Seek one out now, find out their fees, find out how much, if any, your insurance covers. Things don't always go the way you think they will, and having that support system lined up can't hurt, and could save you! Also, breast shells like this are a very nice thing to have on hand for those first weeks when your body is getting used to things. They allow air flow to your sore nips, which is what they need to heal. I know our BRU carries them, so you could put some gift cards to use there, if you have leftover from showers or things to exchange. Coconut oil is a great substitute for lanolin, and washes out of clothes much more easily than the latter. You can buy it in a giant tub for less than $20 at Costco, and it can also be used in place of baby oil/lotion and diaper rash preventative. It has antibacterial properties, so it can help prevent/kill thrush. Very versatile stuff! Something else that was a lifesaver for me in terms of healing, was just having a couple of tiny custard sized bowls (which you may already have) that I would put a dash of salt and very warm water in. Once dissolved, just dip the nips for a couple of minutes. Very simple and cheap, but crazy effective.
    Last edited by tk.; December 18th, 2013 at 10:18 AM.
    Tara, proud mama to a Honey Badger
    ... and a Badger in Training