Names Searched Right Now:
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5
    I like Amora which is French for love and Abeer which is Islamic for fragrance!

Quote Originally Posted by lucialucentum View Post
    I did my schooling in French and was always frustrated by not having "améliorer" as a word in English (and then was elated when I discovered "ameliorate" is a thing).
    In Spanish, I really like "paisaje." It doesn't roll off the tongue as a name so well.

Like Natália, I think Alma is a gorgeous word-as-name, I love the meaning. I do prefer the sound and feel of Alba, but Alma definitely has a charm due to the "soul" part.
    I would use Amparo in a heartbeat. I used to live in the Valencian Community, so I feel a sentimental tie to Amparo; it means "Shelter" in Spanish.
    Pastora I love a lot, but I have a weird infatuation with shepherding and transhumance, so that makes sense. I'm hard-pressed to find support in this name, though
    Mar- it's so simple and strong
    Marjolaine is one I've liked since high school. We had an exchange student come from France and this was her name, and it stuck with me. I'd never use Marjoram in English, but Marjolaine is so pretty to me.
    I also love the sound of Ibaia for a girl (which means "a river"), but it isn't used as a name (Ibai for a boy is, though).

For boys:
    Pau- it's just Paul in Catalan for a boy, but on a girl, it means 'Peace'/ is the word for peace in Catalan. It's kind of a political statement on a girl, but it's a great meaning. I can live with it being Paul... because how fun is it to say?!
    Amparo is my grand mother's name! It is beautiful
    My Favorites
    ~Boys~
    August Chase | Felix Anderson | Phineas Michael | Jasper Chase | Arlo James

~Girls~
    Amara Juliette | Arianne Marie | Delilah Ann | Evanna Louise | Lucia Charlotte

His Favorites
    Mason Anderson Chase | Marina Arianne Louise

Quote Originally Posted by heytherepigeon View Post
    I really like the friend word for January, which is Janvier. It LOOKS a lot like Javier, which I don't like, but it sounds SO pretty. jhan-vee-ay. I also like the way the French pronounce Violet/Violette - vee-oh-let. I think that a LOT of French words are so pretty-sounding and would make wonderful names. <33
    Speaking of French months as names... Juillet!!!!!!!! How is that not a name?! So reminiscent of Juliet, but it sounds a million times better. ZHWEE-yay. ZHWEE-yay. ZHWEE-yay. How beautiful would that be?! I like Janvier a lot, too, but I pretty much gave up on it after NCIS: LA's villain, Janvier (he has a daughter named Adeline Janvier, and I think that's just fab!). (August is pretty fun to say in French, too! ah-OOT. ah-OOT. ah-OOT!)

Juillet. Seriously. Stinkin. Amazing. I can't get into Juliet, but I love Juillet so so much.

@emma - At least, I think it was Emma that suggested papillon. I love butterflies, but I don't really see it as a name. And Papillon is so much fun to say, though! (Can we just talk for a second about how much fun it is to say animals' names in French?! le lion. l'hippopotame (seriously! My favorite everrrr!), la girafe, le poisson, le cochon, le loup... le sigh. Why can't animal names be this much fun to say in English?! (And this little French Capucine is all to blame:

http://vimeo.com/2113477

) Speaking of which, does Capucine apply here? I know it's used in France, so maybe not...

This may have already been mentioned, but Asante (prn similar to Uh-sahn-tay) is thank you in Swahili. Too much of a word for me personally to use, but I have met little Asante's here in the states. A guilty pleasure name of mine is Simba, which is, of course, Lion in Swahili. Nothing I could ever seriously use.
    2 littles calling me Mommy, Waiting on #3 & 4 through our first adoption

Zev (15.06.09) & Koa (25.04.11)