Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Names inspired by words in other languages?

I'm learning French/teaching myself French, so I admit I'm probably more interested in this than usual, and I wouldn't use them (I'm all too familiar with the feelings of the French on using word names like Soleil and Jolie and Miette!), but I do think it's a fun sort of GP, and I'm wondering if any of you have some favorites that fit into this category that might be a bit more off the beaten path.

Recently in my French lessons, I came across the verb améliorer (which, admittedly, doesn't have the prettiest meaning "to improve", but it has such a pretty sound and image!), one form of which is améliore, which I think would be such a beautiful name! (ah-may-lee-ohr) It seems sort of a smoosh of Amélie and Eliora. Améliore. Améliore. Améliore.

I also love Fiala, the Czech word for "violet".

Any of you have any other lovelies?

Thanks, ladies!

I'm quite fond of Gamila, which has the bonus of meaning beautiful, Noor, which means light, and Amir, which means prince. All three are Arabic. Lila and Rosa are German for purple and pink respectively and are already established!
    ~~~~~~14 year old Canadian geek~~~~~~
    Girls:
    Alaska, Laila, Jasmine, Rachel, Amara, Daine, Anne, Sarai, Caroline, Alianne, Freya, Sophie, Coraline, Beth
    Combos: Alaska Jasmine, Alianne Inara, Laila Coraline, Freya Sarai, Anne Zaina, Rachel Amira, Amara May, Sophie Noor, Beth Aziza
    Boys:
    Avery, Rowan, Stellan, Sky, Dusk, Hart, Castiel, Alastair
    Combos: Dusk Alexander, Sky Amir, Hart Ismail

Esperanza- Spanish word for hope, but that is already a name.
    My darling little Bean is a G I R L!
    Making her debut September 2014

My favourite word name is Alma. I love the sound and the meaning: soul. I'm not sure how it would be received back home since we don't really use word names in Brazil (except for flowers). I'll have to look into it when I get pregnant in the far distant future.
    Natália, 21, Law student from Brazil.

Amália . Isaura . Tarsila
    Abel . Inácio . Santiago

Alma | Celina | Cora | Elis | Flora | Lenina | Lucília | Marília | Paloma | Salete
    Álvaro | Daniel | Fernão | Hector | Hélio | João Manoel | Leandro | Otávio | Renato | Vicente

I love the sound of Ameliore! It does sound like a proper name as well.

Here some nice sounding German nature words:

Marone - ma-ROE-nuh - chestnut
    Kastanie - kus-TAH-nyuh - chestnut tree
    Weide - VIE-duh - willow
    Rosmarin - ROSE-ma-reen - rosemary
    Wolke - Voll-kuh - cloud
    Last edited by dottipanda; December 17th, 2013 at 05:13 PM.
    Ronja Julius Leonore Frederick Harriet Clemens Elisabeth Ivor Linnea Elliot