Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

A rose by any other name...

I'm re-watching Desperate Housewives and just got to the episode where one of the housewives has a son and names are being discussed. The dad wants to name the boy Maynard, after his grandfather, which the housewives don't like. Anyway, one of the characters just said "If your name was Francesca, you wouldn't have time for sarcasm. You'd be too busy having sex on a vespa!" which just cracks me up.

I don't think your name necessarily shapes who you are, but I do sort of agree with that character's line. Most people with my name have been pretty similar, though I've of course met a few that were my opposites.

Do you think you'd be any different with another name? Do people who have a disconnect with their birth name and choose to change the name do so for some deeper reason than just finding it boring? Have you ever met someone who just didn't "fit" their name?
    Considering...
    Cordelia Eilonwy Snow ● Evadne Polaris Fae ● Isabeau Jane Sophronia ● Lorelei Nimue Ondine
    Pandora Vivienne Swan ● Thisbe Octavia Wildrose ● Thora Khione Swan

●●● ●●● ●●●
    Caspian Ithuriel Wilder ● Damian Rainer Sparrow ● Evander Ithuriel Sol
    Gwydion Alaric Hart ● Malachi Tristan Bjorn ● Phineas Robin Blaise ● Theodore Peregrine Llyr

our furbabies: Sebastian & Oleander

Funny you say
    Quote Originally Posted by redwoodfey View Post
    Most people with my name have been pretty similar, though I've of course met a few that were my opposites.

I have met a handful of other people with my name (all different spellings, mostly, my name seems to have infinite variation - Shauna, Shawna, Seanna, Shanna, Shana, Seana, Siona), and we all seem to share a lot of similar traits.

I do wonder if it syas more about the type of mothers we all had, though, versus our actual name. I'm not sure if my personality would be different had I been named Francesca (LOL!) or Rose or Marie, for example.
    Baby Sequoia Orion due October 2014!
    Other favorites: Cytheria, Arcadia, Seraphina, Caspian, Gideon

Quote Originally Posted by moonkai View Post
    I do wonder if it syas more about the type of mothers we all had, though, versus our actual name.
    I think this is a great point and I think you're very right actually.

The type of mother who names her daughter Sunflower Prairie is likely going to parent in a different way than a mother who names her daughter Margaret Ann, and she's going to pass on traits to her daughter as well.

Sure, there might be some affect to extremes of names outside of nature/nurture, but I think that aspect is far more important.
    Olivia/Livia/Livy/Liv : Thessaly/Darah/Bethel : Noelle/Eve
    Benedict/Eli: Jude/Zane: Luke/Darius : Levi/Phineas/Calvin

Quote Originally Posted by moonkai View Post
    I have met a handful of other people with my name (all different spellings, mostly, my name seems to have infinite variation - Shauna, Shawna, Seanna, Shanna, Shana, Seana, Siona), and we all seem to share a lot of similar traits.
    I've had similar situations with the spelling variations, but whenever I meet another Shauna, our meeting is so short, I have no idea what any of them were really like. :[

I am a dog person, I will hug anyone who needs it, I think tea and coffee are equally marvelous and if I have a randomly occurring thought or idea, I'll share it with anyone polite enough to listen (even if they're confused). Most people who know meseem to agree I would fit in and be happy in places like Wales or Canada. I don't know exactly what that means. You can make your own assumptions.

Does that all sound Shauna-like?

My name's so common that I meet all sorts of people with it so I can't really tell.

For people who don't do their names at all I still can't get over the first name of a biology teacher I used to have. He looked, sounded-like and sometimes acted like Mr Bean (Rowan Atkinson) and was actually generally known to the pupils as Dr Bean. Then I found out his first name was Austin. It had always struck as a young, 'cool' sort of name that a sports player or someone might have. It did not suit him the tiniest bit.
    My furry darlings ~ Bodie the border terrier & Portia and Penny the guinea pigs

Amabel ~ Beryl ~ Bryony ~ Cecily ~ Charis ~ Clara ~ Dinah ~ Flora ~ Georgiana ~ Ophelia ~ Rosamund ~ Sylvie ~ Tabitha ~ Tamsin ~ Violet

Arthur ~ Barnaby ~ Basil ~ Bertie ~ Darcy ~ Elliot ~ Felix ~ Fraser ~ Frederick ~ Henry ~ Monty ~ Rowan ~ Rupert ~ Theodore ~ Tristan