Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

What is a "classic" name?

While browsing Nameberry I often come across the phrase "classic names". What names do you think of as being classics? How do you define a "classic"? Is it simply a common name? Is it a name that has a considerable history of use? Is it a name that has historical, literary or religious significance? I'd appreciate your thoughts on this matter.

Long history is most important. Wide use and popularity are also essential. Historical, literary, and/or religious significance definitely help.
    Top W. European & Biblical classics: William, Charles, George, Richard, Robert, Frederick, Arthur, David, Matthew, Mark, Luke, John/Jack, James, Alexander, etc.
    For girls: Elizabeth, Mary, Victoria, Ruth, Margaret, Martha, Eve, Sarah, Helen, Anne, Hannah, Rose (and variations), Catherine, Diana, etc.

I think a good way to explain it is that no one will ever think "oh that name is so out of style" because they don't go out of style...they can't...they're classics. Mary, for example is at its lowest point of use in the U.S. since 1880. But is anyone going to think it is an out-there name? No. Everyone recognizes it, and it is timeless aka a classic.
    Personal Favorites: Mira Cairdeas and Darrow Paine

Best Wishes To All

Shealah
    Teenberry, name loving girl.
    xo

Favorites:
    Lucy, Madeline, Caroline, Kylie, Bryn, Audrey/Aubrey, & Sierra
    Eli, Caden, Camden, Riley and Caleb

Guilty Pleasures:
    Clementine & Tiara

A classic name to me would be a name that has been around for a long time- usually referenced in history, literature, the Bible, etc. Some classics are more out there (I would think of Dorothea as a classic, though it's been off the SSA list since 1971) but they apply to one of the earlier mentioned criteria.
    -Athena

Top Girls: Under Construction

Top Boys: Under Construction