Names Searched Right Now:
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
    I've often thought about this, myself, though I haven't been able to chalk it up to anything specific, or insightful. My aunt, who is very spiritual (believes in destiny, mediums, angel cards all that spiritual stuff) would say that this is 100% true, because we're named what we're named for a greater reason, purpose, power. It's as though your spirit influences your parents name choice, like intuition. Obviously, that idea is flawed in the case of those who hate their names and have them changed. Science and logic sway me from believing that thought process. Though, in that sense, names are seen as nouns when they convey a greater meaning, or description, more like adjectives in that respect.

To digress from rambling, who knows! It would be interesting to read a comparative study.
    Mutant

Currently Loving: Wilson, Marvin, Archer, Sullivan, Zora, Leah, Evelyn, Edith.

Taryn- the only place I've ever heard Taryn is the actress, Taryn Manning. Crazy/Beautiful came out when I was about 19 and I loved it. I always imagine a Taryn as being rather bohemian.

Stripedsocks- I'm always so curious about mismatched sibsets, at least when they're extreme. Have you asked your mom about what made her pick a rare name and a top ten one?

Dantea- I will look you up in a few minutes. I'm under the covers and this book is pretty big. :P Yes, you're one of the people I was thinking of when I asked about people not feeling connected to their name. I've always felt very connected to my name, my first at least, but I did go through the typical young person wanting a different name phase. I changed my name to Jessamyn when I was in sixth or fifth grade, and insisted everyone call me that. I even signed my homework with Jessamyn. Haha. I also got called Ed almost exclusively by all my friends from 4th grade until 12th, and many of them still call me that. I also (and this is mortifying) changed the spelling of my name to Eryka in high school. I was on the yearbook staff, so even the yearbook has me as Eryka. Sigh.

Ren- Hmm, yes, perhaps. Like I said, I'm not totally serious about this, I just think it's interesting. I do agree that who we are is shaped by our experiences and DNA. I guess my question then would be, how would our experiences have changed with a different name? If you were a Sheherazade, would you be less or more patient after dealing with a world who can't say or spell your name? Would you have been teased? Would people assume you were quirky, until you finally embrace it and become the "extravagantly elaborate" person your parents must have wanted you to be?

Emiliana- I've never known an Ebony. Not sure I'd have any preconceived notions about one. I'd mostly just hope she had gorgeous ebony hair, a sort of Snow White I suppose.

Cait- Yes, the lobotomized butterfly made me laugh.

Maple- I didn't know you were an Emily! Every Emily I've ever known has been cheerful and friendly on the outside, but has a lot going on underneath. That's rather ambiguous I guess. I was in love with an Emily once, so she's the closest I ever got to one, and boy did she have stuff on the inside nobody would have guessed.

Moon- In spite of Road House, I imagine an older guy with Dalton. I think because it reminds me of Dallben from the Prydain Chronicles, who was an old farm wizard.

Mutant- Ooh, I think I'd enjoy talking with you and your aunt over a cup of coffee. I'm always torn between my logical science self and my crazy magic and energy and fantasy side. I call myself atheist, but I have some pretty out there ideas about spiritualism and the universe.

Thanks for sharing, berries! I enjoyed reading your thoughts. Dantea, I'll be back shortly with the name info.
    Considering...
    Cordelia Eilonwy Snow ● Evadne Polaris Fae ● Isabeau Jane Sophronia ● Lorelei Nimue Ondine
    Pandora Vivienne Swan ● Thisbe Octavia Wildrose ● Thora Khione Swan

●●● ●●● ●●●
    Caspian Ithuriel Wilder ● Damian Rainer Sparrow ● Evander Ithuriel Sol
    Gwydion Alaric Hart ● Malachi Tristan Bjorn ● Phineas Robin Blaise ● Theodore Peregrine Llyr

our furbabies: Sebastian & Oleander

@redwoodfey I'm blonde haired, of Scottish and English ancestry but it is quite popular in Australia all of the Ebony's I know are white one has brown hair, one red and I think the boys hair was also brown. My name probably wouldn't work anywhere but Australia because I know its considered trashy in the US and the UK
    ☆Isobel★Eloise☆Matilda★Alice☆Eleanor★ Amelia☆ Elena★Mirabel☆ Felicity★Phoebe ☆Eilidh ★Rosalia☆Roisin★Azalea☆Elsa★Arabella☆ Genevieve★Elodie☆Ruby★Charlotte☆
    ★☆★
    ☆Eamon★Tiago☆Cooper★Jack☆Jago★Flynn☆ Archer★Lincoln☆Asher★Alfie☆Taylor★Baxter ☆Finnian★Lawson☆Jasper★Lewis ★Oscar☆Fletcher★Caspian☆Miller★
    babynameobsessed.worpress.com

Okay.

Dantea: The closest I found is with the DN names (Danita and Donta are included here, so it's pretty close). The Daring. Idealist, Faithful, Devoted / Demanding, Self-Indulgent, Isoalted. Stubborn; enthusiastic; easily attracts people who take advantage, but DN's don't usually expect anything in return; enjoys a good wallow from time to time; doesn't deal with failure easily, leading to depression; they do snap out of their depression; devoted; high ideals that can place impossible expectations on mates.

Remy: The Multi-Faceted. RY names. Composed, Observant, Open-Minded / Reserved, Detached, Complicated. Optimistic; self-contained; make decisions with head, not heart; not to be confused with a cold fish, RYs have found a way to "discipline their emotions instead of indulging in them"; channel feelings into their work, leading to lots of accomplishments; that leads people to think they're all business, no romance; opinionated; compulsion to "rattle the cage"; enjoy making waves; good listeners; not motivated by money, but find ways to live comfortably; struggle with self-doubt; restless.
    Considering...
    Cordelia Eilonwy Snow ● Evadne Polaris Fae ● Isabeau Jane Sophronia ● Lorelei Nimue Ondine

●●● ●●● ●●●
    Gwydion Alaric Hart ● Malachi Tristan Bjorn ● Phineas Robin Blaise ● Theodore Peregrine Llyr

Oh, I'd never have guessed a blonde Ebony. That's rather cute.
    Considering...

●●● ●●● ●●●