Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

A rose by any other name...

I'm re-watching Desperate Housewives and just got to the episode where one of the housewives has a son and names are being discussed. The dad wants to name the boy Maynard, after his grandfather, which the housewives don't like. Anyway, one of the characters just said "If your name was Francesca, you wouldn't have time for sarcasm. You'd be too busy having sex on a vespa!" which just cracks me up.

I don't think your name necessarily shapes who you are, but I do sort of agree with that character's line. Most people with my name have been pretty similar, though I've of course met a few that were my opposites.

Do you think you'd be any different with another name? Do people who have a disconnect with their birth name and choose to change the name do so for some deeper reason than just finding it boring? Have you ever met someone who just didn't "fit" their name?
    Considering...
    Annika, Artemis, Bianca, Catherine, Evadne, Felicity, Gwendolen, Isabeau, Isadora, Juniper,
    Lorelei, Lyra, Octavia, Pandora, Petra, Sunniva, Thisbe, Thora

●●● ●●● ●●●
    Caspian, Conrad, Damian, Desmond, Evander, Everett, Ezra, Griffin, Gwydion, Malachi,
    Peregrine, Phineas, Theodore

click for my name lists
    our furbabies: Sebastian and Oleander

Funny you say
    Quote Originally Posted by redwoodfey View Post
    Most people with my name have been pretty similar, though I've of course met a few that were my opposites.

I have met a handful of other people with my name (all different spellings, mostly, my name seems to have infinite variation - Shauna, Shawna, Seanna, Shanna, Shana, Seana, Siona), and we all seem to share a lot of similar traits.

I do wonder if it syas more about the type of mothers we all had, though, versus our actual name. I'm not sure if my personality would be different had I been named Francesca (LOL!) or Rose or Marie, for example.
    Baby Sequoia Orion born 11-8-14!
    Other favorites: Cytheria, Arcadia, Seraphina, Caspian, Gideon

My name's so common that I meet all sorts of people with it so I can't really tell.

For people who don't do their names at all I still can't get over the first name of a biology teacher I used to have. He looked, sounded-like and sometimes acted like Mr Bean (Rowan Atkinson) and was actually generally known to the pupils as Dr Bean. Then I found out his first name was Austin. It had always struck as a young, 'cool' sort of name that a sports player or someone might have. It did not suit him the tiniest bit.
    My furry darlings ~ Bodie the border terrier & Portia and Penny the guinea pigs

Amabel ~ Beryl ~ Bryony ~ Cecily ~ Charis ~ Clara ~ Dinah ~ Flora ~ Georgiana ~ Ophelia ~ Rosamund ~ Sylvie ~ Tabitha ~ Tamsin ~ Violet

Arthur ~ Barnaby ~ Basil ~ Bertie ~ Darcy ~ Elliot ~ Felix ~ Fraser ~ Frederick ~ Henry ~ Monty ~ Rowan ~ Rupert ~ Theodore ~ Tristan

interesting theory Moon. Yes, perhaps it does say something about our mothers. I wonder if a good study has ever been done on this. I have a book I really like, Secret Universe of Names, which groups names by sounds. I'll go get it in a few minutes and tell you what it says about Shauna.

Hannie, your biology teacher sounds like a hoot, and no he does not sound like an Austin!
    Considering...
    Annika, Artemis, Bianca, Catherine, Evadne, Felicity, Gwendolen, Isabeau, Isadora, Juniper,
    Lorelei, Lyra, Octavia, Pandora, Petra, Sunniva, Thisbe, Thora

●●● ●●● ●●●
    Caspian, Conrad, Damian, Desmond, Evander, Everett, Ezra, Griffin, Gwydion, Malachi,
    Peregrine, Phineas, Theodore

click for my name lists
    our furbabies: Sebastian and Oleander

I know a variety of Caitlin/Katelyn/Kaitlyn etc, but they're all younger than me. It's common enough that we aren't all similar in personality, but as a side note, the only person I've met who spelled it Caitlin is a lot like me. Take from that what you will.
    Teenberry and writer

Current favorite names: Henrietta Jubilee and Lowell Aurelian