Names Searched Right Now:
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Nahara- An exotic gem that sounds extremely feminine.

Indiago- Obviosly very similar to India. But with very different assosications.

Saffron- You could be mad about Saffron?

Astera- Persian for Star. It has a nice feminine but strong flair it.

Ilima- Hawaiian for Flower.

Indira- Both a goddess of wealth, and the name of a prime minister. A lot of great associations with the name!

Good luck and congratulations!
    Last edited by blackcatsmeow; December 15th, 2013 at 12:04 AM.

Lucinda would be my choice.
    Psalm 23

I've known girls named India and Asia (among other place names)... perhaps I'm just ignorant but I wasn't aware it was a cause of offense.

Suggestions (forgive repeats):

Cassia
    Thalia
    Ophelia
    Iliana
    Jasmine/ Jessamine
    Jemima
    Tessa
    Astrid (Triddy)
    Mara
    Zara
    Valeria
    Marisol
    Sonia
    Felecia
    Carolina
    Dahlia

Dixie
    Ivy
    Indiana
    Sadie
    Romy
    Minnie
    Frances
    Edie/Edith

ps I *love* Saffron

As a mom to an India, I just wanted to give you my experience. India Belle was my great grandmother and it was very important for us to honor her. My entire extended family was thrilled when we used the name and now our little India has all of India Belle's family heirlooms. I do get questioned about the name sometimes, "Oh, like the country?" I just explain it is a legit name and point out India Wilkes in Gone With the Wind. I also tell them it's a family name. Most of the time, I don't need to do the explanation and people have a very positive reaction to it. I know there is controversy over it on NB but personally, I've never experienced it. I do live in an area with an Indian population. Also, my mother in law is good friends with a woman from India and she loves the name and is always buying our daughter traditional Indian outfits. Now, obviously she is only one person, but I just wanted to say, not everyone is offended by the name. I don't regret using the name at all. It makes me so happy to be carrying on my lovely great grandmothers name and spirit. Also, with Chris Hemswirth using the name recently, and the artist Indie Arie, I feel the name isn't too unusual for people.

You could always use the name Indira. However, there would be people saying Indira Ghandi was a somewhat controversial figure. You could also consider: Athena, Talia, Violetta, Genevieve, Esme, Christabel, Renata, Corinne, Simone, Elena, Gemma, Daphne, Amira, Juliana, Marina, Sylvia, Miranda, Aurelia, Rowena, Hope, Camilla, Delphine, Cecily, Charisma, or Antonia.
    Mom to... Augustine Mark "Augie", India Marie "Indie", Theodore Odell "Teddy" and Philippa Lee "Pippa"

I think anything evocative of pungent spices/ herbs, a red/ orange/ yellow palette, ancient lands/ legends, has a regal quality, is mysterious/ lyrical and is sensuous/ exotic/ warm, enchanting, has a nature/ hippy feel, an Eden-like tropical landscape (i.e. centers on summer, the beach, relaxation/ mediation/ holistic health etc)....even Victorian...is comparable to India.

i.e. comparative names to India are:

Saffron
    Sapphire
    Ruby
    Emerald
    Zara
    Zenovia
    Cleo(patra)
    Hibiscus
    Frangipani
    Henna
    Rosehip
    Clove
    Anise
    Honey
    Marigold
    Autumn
    Burgundy
    Scarlett
    Daisy
    Sienna
    Rose
    Cinnamon
    Myrrh
    Incense
    Cascade
    Eden
    Melissa
    Olivia
    Ambrosia
    Antonia
    Victoria
    Anne
    Poet
    Charlotte
    Opaline
    Emmeline
    Amethyst
    Marquisette
    Harlequin
    Pear
    Adelaide
    Isadora
    Garland
    Belle
    Summer
    Rain
    Skye
    Sunrise
    Rebecca
    Veronica
    Blue Bird
    Blue Belle
    Jewel
    Freesia
    Bree
    Alice
    Sorrel
    Sage
    Rosewood
    Ivory
    Eve/ Eva/ Ava/ Avery
    Ivy
    Pandora
    Almond
    Mimosa
    Apricot
    Amaretto
    Absinthe
    Ginger
    Grace
    Sunflower
    Bodhi
    Geranium
    Calendula
    Persephone
    Heliotrope
    Orchid
    Virginia
    Evangeline
    Jasmine
    Jessamine
    Marseilles
    Luxor
    Esmeralda
    Agnes
    Nutmeg
    Amber
    Babette
    Luna
    Berry
    Coral
    Pearl
    Moonstone
    Dandelion
    Violet
    Apple
    Georgette/ Georgina
    Henrietta
    Allegra
    Isobel

In particular, I think Sienna, Zara, Saffron, Ruby, Scarlett, Luna and Summer are seven names that have that similar India "feel".

Cheers
    Last edited by oceansunrise; December 15th, 2013 at 02:10 AM.
    Ulysses & Godiva

Seabrook | Lyon | Falcon | Lucius Artorius | Bardyllis | Chivalry | Whiskey | Varro | Auberon | Sovereign | Musaeus

Winter Rose | Emerald | Autumn Grace | Hazel | Maebry | Ulyssia | Pandora Rose | Alaska | Summer Eve | Charlett | Ivy | Asfodelle | Marquesa | Titania | India Ruby | Goldhazel | Ulissa | Isabeau | Liberty | Vivaldi | Ferelith | Juniper | Violet | Odette Leda Snow | Utopia | Hero | Hermione