Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Isabelline?

Isabelline?

Is it trying to hard to be Isabella but different?
    I like that it is a color name, but the main reason I like it is because I like Isabeli Fontana's name more than Isabella. I understand that Isabeli isn't a proper spelling and also opens up the obvious Belly association in English, so I wouldn't use it. Therefore I think Isabelline gives me the pronunciation I like but still looks like a proper name, whilst also having the lovely color association.

Thoughts, opinions on the name?
    Honest opinions are more than welcome. thank you to all who take the time to respond!

(NB "Isabelline, also known as Isabella, is a pale grey-yellow, pale fawn, pale cream-brown or parchment colour. It is primarily found in animal coat colouring, particularly plumage colour in birds and, in Europe, in horses. It also has historically been applied to fashion." via Wikipedia)
    Last edited by giinkies; December 14th, 2013 at 10:30 PM.

To me it sounds made up.

It does sound a bit made up but also like a proper name. There's many made up names that are silly but I don't think Isabelline is a part of these.

I vaguely recognise this as a colour name but to be honest all I hear is ''Is a belly''. I see the appeal ( it doesn't look made up to me, more like some ancient, unused French/Italian/Romantic variation of Isabella) but I don't think it works.
    close to my heart / future darlings
    Rufus - Emmett - Hugh - Amadeus - Wilfrid - Eoghan - Alec
    Estella - Oona - Jemima - Eilidh - Zennor - Billie

olivia; ''somewhat of an enigma'' and finally seventeen. (http://bigsistercomplex.tumblr.com/)

I liked it until I heard the story of how pale fawn became associated with Queen Isabella. It's okay otherwise but that kinda killed it for me. It's a pretty colour on birds/dogs/horses though.

I'm quite fond of Isidora and some of the wackier Bel- names at the moment and pro-colour names so while I wouldn't use it I can't hate it.

EDIT: "because" and "became" are different words.
    Last edited by stripedsocks; December 15th, 2013 at 02:46 AM.