Names Searched Right Now:
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4
    Thanks everyone! We're still on the fence and leaning towards keeping her in traditional school. We have a meeting set up on the 7th with the school to see if we can come up with a solution. Her teacher agrees that she's definitely disenchanted with school and THAT is the issue I'm concerned with more so then boredom.

She takes dance and plays floor hockey, as well as library book club. She's pretty active and social. I just want her to like school, first grade is too young to have that attitude!
    Mom to:
    Clara Margaret (9/8/07)
    Oliver Michael (6/18/10)
    and our newest bundle of joy Alice amelia born 10/22/13!!!

And our original babies of the 4 legged variety: Chloe, Jasper and Gilmore (feline litter mates age 8) and Maya - pitbull mix, aged 7)

Maybe it's just a phase or she isn't clicking with the teach this year? Hope things get better with her attitude. I agree it's sad that she's having complaints in 1st grade, but no reason to jump to conclusions that it will always be that way! (sorry if I implied it would be in my previous post).

Let the teacher or other administrator or counselor if possible know of your concerns and maybe they can help encourage her more in school or create a plan for more extracurriculars for her. Good luck!
    Wife to one great guy
    Mama to six pretty ladies: Scarlett (12), Penelope (9), Alice (3), Fiona (3), Lucille (16 mo.) & Coraline (16 mo.)

& 4 angels gone before us: Christian (7 wks), Amos (6 wks), Naomi (16.5 wks), & Hosanna (6 wks)

~We fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal.~

We were involved with a wonderful local Sudbury school for nearly 5 years and this fall chose to do homeschool. So far it's going great, granted we have an awesome group of friends who also HS or do alternative schooling so I feel the kids aren't missing out.
    Married to my love since August 2001
    --—————————————
    My lovely bunch of coconuts;
    Sebastian Elihu (7/02)
    Bronwen Eliza (2/04)
    Linus Ezra Graham (9/06)
    Violet Leona (1/09) and
    Wolfgang Levi (3/13)
    Always missing our Felix Emmanuel (10/10-10/10)

Quote Originally Posted by c@29 View Post
    Yeah. I was offered the very same thing when I was a kid. My dad wanted me to play with kids my own age (I remember he said "she is not even the oldest in her class, let her play for a bit") so he turned it down. I respect his decision but truth to be told, I also regret it for years.

If your case is similar with mine, let her do it.
    Skipping a grade really is a good option. Some people worry about age, but I never found it to be an issue. I skipped 7th grade and 10th grade, so I was a bit older than your daughter, but even in 11th grade being two years younger than everyone made no difference. I still had friends, I never struggled socially.

Also, how about private school? I understand tuition can be too much for a lot of people but they, depending on the school, can have highly advanced courses. I teach at one and can attest to that.
    2 littles calling me Mommy, Waiting on #3 & 4 through our first adoption

Zev (15.06.09) & Koa (25.04.11)

I don't know if anyone has mentioned these yet, but have you looked into homeschool co-ops and/or alternative schools? I don't know where you live, but there are several of these near me. At a homeschool co-op, your child would go to school once or twice a week and sign up for classes that they need or that they think would be interesting. After class on the school day, your child's teachers for each of her classes would assign her homework for the rest of the week, which you would help her complete for the next week. The classes are also not usually too grade specific, so a class might be for 1st-3rd graders or something. It's a really great resource if you're not sure how to start homeschooling.

For alternative schools, they can sometimes be quite expensive, but they can provide some great benefits. I have an alternative school near me that is for Kindergarten - 12th grade and when the child applies to the school, they get tested to go into whatever level of studies they need to go into. This type of thing might be awesome for your little girl because then she can work at her own pace and she wouldn't necessarily be the youngest in her class.

So, to summarize, you have options! Public school is not for every child.

Hope I could help!