Names Searched Right Now:
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    @sidura

Sorry! I think I saw your response on standard deviations and got it mixed up with crunchy mamas post above!

We are homeschooling this year (Kindergarten). It's not something I ever planned to do, but my husband travels a lot for work and at this stage I feel that us all being together as a family is more important than my son attending traditional school. He is not a child that would do well switching schools every 3-6 months.

I have to say, it was a rough start. I have a lot of classroom experience (worked as a teacher's assistant in college, 1st and 3rd grades, and taught summer school math to rising 9th graders) and have worked in underprivileged communities where schools were rife with behavioral problems. It is SO different when it's your own kid, lol! However...after the initial adjustment period it has been wonderful. We are able to spend very little time on "formal" schooling, which frees us up to do a host of other things (piano lessons, art classes, etc.) as well as the age-appropriate amounts of play which are sadly missing from most public school curriculums these days.

My son is also getting so far ahead that I am concerned he will be bored when we put him in school later on. I'm actually not sure what to do about this...for now we are just going at his pace and will see where we end up. I thought about trying to slow down, but it seems silly to stop his learning just to conform to what public schools are doing.

I'm glad you are not considering skipping your daughter - I think this is often a mistake.

Sidura-

Yes, you are correct.... This is what I get for my late night posting! As soon as my head hit the pillow last night I realized I mistyped/quoted 30 instead of 15. lol. Makes a lot more sense for 15!! Sorry all. The concept of what I was attempting to explain is the same though.... Just think of it more along the lines of a child with an 85 iq compared to 115. The 70 and 130 would be more along the lines of higher extremes, but still realistic and in the standard bell curve.

When our DD was tested (age 4) she was in that <3-5% of the population area of the curve. As I mentioned earlier, she really has not leveled off, but she has found a few specialty areas and we, as her parents do not do as much worrying as we used to... Hence me not doing a lot of research on the topic in many years.
    Wife to one great guy
    Mama to six pretty ladies: Scarlett (12), Penelope (9), Alice (3), Fiona (3), Lucille (16 mo.) & Coraline (16 mo.)

& 4 angels gone before us: Christian (7 wks), Amos (6 wks), Naomi (16.5 wks), & Hosanna (6 wks)

~We fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal.~

My paternal grandmother was a one-room school teacher, and her kids, including my father, were all varying levels of "gifted" as it would be described now. This resulted in my father graduating high school at 16, my uncle at 16, and my aunt at 14. When my teachers recommended that I skip a grade in kindergarten, and then again in third grade, my father was very firmly against it. He said that high school was a social nightmare for him and his siblings because of the age difference, and I can imagine it would be even worse today, particularly with the hyper-sexualization of middle school and high school students. I am glad that I never skipped a grade. I was intellectually very mature, but I was no more emotionally mature or socially mature than my classmates, and I think it would have made those awkward years far worse.

As far as homeschooling goes, I think it would probably be fine as long as your child has opportunities for socialization. In many fields, social awareness and interpersonal skills are as important to career success as intelligence. My recommendation for older gifted kids would be frequent trips to the library and websites with free college lectures. I went to a very poor public school and pretty much wore out library cards teaching myself things that our school didn't cover, particularly in science and history. :/
    Eliza June - Jane Beatrice - Rosalind Claire - Susannah Felicity
    Everett Monroe - Oliver Reid - Gabriel James

GPs: Ophelia, Amity, Roscoe, Hawthorne

For a slightly different opinion, I am a gifted student who's been tossed to the wayside by the public school system. My parents were offered the choice to skip me up a grade and chose not to, but now I'm graduating high school in three years instead of four. In my school system, gifted programs start in kindergarten but only go through the sixth grade. If you truly feel that your daughter isn't getting the education she needs and you'd rather not skip her up to where she would be two years younger, then by all means homeschool her! I speak from experience when I say that there are few things worse than being bored throughout your entire school career.
    Teenberry and writer

Current favorite names: Henrietta Jubilee and Lowell Aurelian