Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Could you ever use them?

I noticed that a topic we berries often talk about is names we've dubbed 'unusable' because of the society around us. I recently came across one of my own posts on that subject, a reply to thread Unique, "guilty pleasure" names......and realized how much I really loved those names. What about you? Are there names that are just so out there, too 'yoonique' or has too strong associations? Share them. And, if you could, if you lived in a place where people wouldn't look at you and your child weird for that name, if your SO would let you, could you name your child that?

Here's a few of mine:

First, those Biblical beauties which were destroyed by those who first bore these names:
    Judas.
    Jezebel.
    Lucifer.
    And other Bible names I love, but which others would never be able to understand why I used them:
    Zelophehad.
    Shelumiel.
    Zebulon.

Historical names that are just too out there:
    Madgellan.
    Napoleon.

Fable/Legend/Mythological, & Literature names I know others would say I should never use:
    Persephone.
    Peregrine.
    Verona.
    D'Artagnan.

And a few random others:
    DiCaprio.
    Desiree.
    Dieudonnee.
    Megara.
    Morgana.

My love of all things Victorian have caused this such problem for me:

Minerva
    Claudina
    Beatrice
    Coralie
    Lavinia
    Dinah
    Philomena
    Alberta
    Rupert
    Cyril
    Oliver
    Jedidiah
    Gordon
    Gilbert
    Franklin

I love them, but my husband (and many others!!) think they are boring and stuffy. That was so disappointing.

AND I love Sapphire! We considered it a middle name, and even my husband liked it too, until I asked him if ppl would think of a striper.... that kinda rocked the boat for him. Saphira, unfortunately, is the "name-only Christian" from the New Testament who wasn't truthful with God and both she and her husband died because of it. Yikes!!

Keturah and Maybelline are other guilty pleasures of mine, but no one would understand them. Plus they don't go with our 4 syllable hard-to-say surname.
    Last edited by iwillpraise; December 11th, 2013 at 03:29 PM.
    O Lord, our Lord,
    how excellent is thy NAME in all the earth!
    who hast set thy glory above the heavens ~
    Psalm 8:1

"Well done, good and faithful servant; thou hast been faithful.. enter thou into the joy of thy Lord." Matt 25:23.. We will miss you dearly, Rollo

Nadia Clarice, Adelaide Susanne
    Gabriel Patrick, Corbin Tobiah

Quote Originally Posted by sadiejosephine View Post
    Historical names that are just too out there:
    Madgellan.
    Napoleon.
    My great great uncle was named Louis Napoleon Not a bit of French in him either. My great great granny Annie had an eccentric naming taste!
    ~Boys~

Jory Leander Atticus, August Eli Benedict, Casimir Mordecai Stewart,
    Edmond John Meirion, Horatio Ethell Emery, Bram William Jasper,
    Julian Remy Charles, Vasiliy Lochlan Michael.

~Girls~

Aira Rose ___, Eleni Fiorella Charlotte, Sylvia Sayuri Noor,
    Merit Eleanora Adelaide, Clover Elodie Seraphine, Bridie Scarlett Viola,
    Marguerite Cecilia Iris, Eilidh Clara Valentine.

Sorry to anyone who read TSI. First draft was terrible. Second drafting now.

Ebenezer - I really like it! But it's just so Scrooge
    Moriah - too Mariah
    Illyrica - gorgeous! but I feel like it sounds too much like sleep drug Lyrica and starts with ill
    Questor - I know it's stupid but that doesn't make me like it less.
    Kyrie - looks and sounds super trendy
    Emmaus - I love it! I don't care!!
    Gilead - see above
    Calderon - yea
    Edelweiss -
    Clarrow - it's just gorgeous
    Phineas - I love it, but I don't think I'd be brave enough to actually use it
    Augustine - love it, but...I don't like the pronunciation issues and I know someone named this and it would be weird.
    Oshea - it's just cool
    Theophilus - it's great, but yea, it's too chunky clunky monkey
    Olivia/Livia/Livy/Liv : Thessaly/Darah/Bethel : Noelle/Eve
    Benedict/Eli: Jude/Zane: Luke/Darius : Levi/Phineas/Calvin

I would use these if I weren't in the bible belt.

First, those Biblical beauties which were destroyed by those who first bore these names:
    Jezebel -- gorgeous sound and great nicknames
    Lucifer -- wonderful meaning and the sound is the same as Lucien/Lucius etc. I have a friend who's son is named Lucifer. They live in an area where no one really cares. It's a liberal type area. Lucifer only goes by Lucifer and no nicknames and he loves him name. My friend is a Luciferian and he thinks if others can honor God with names then he should be able to honor his god. He has 2 other children too.
    Zebulon -- I went to high school with a Zebulon
    Napoleon -- I'd use this now in the community I live in now.
    Persephone -- see my signature? My daughter is Persephone. I've gotten nothing but compliments and little gasps followed by "Oh that's gorgeous!" Her story is one of resilience and strength and a mother's love. The meaning Nameberry has listed is only one of several meanings that could be the meaning of her name. The more likely meaning has some thing to do with sound (the -phone ending is used on words to do with sound like homophone).
    Peregrine -- this ones in several of my combos
    D'Artagnan -- I really want to use this but Cody won't let me :P
    Morgana -- I tried and tried to get this one but Cody liked Morrigan better
    Last edited by dantea; December 11th, 2013 at 06:14 PM.
    Mother, Hellenic Pagan Priestess, and Resident Greek name expert ^_^ Call me Dantea or Remy

http://covertocoverediting.webs.com/ -- Editing services available for cheap.

Proud Mama to:
    Persephone Elysia Willow -- June 5th 2013
    TTC #2 by Christmas 2014