Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: see-R-uh

Post see-R-uh

Help!

My husband and I love the name Ciara. I knew a girl with this name (and spelling) years ago who pronounced it see-R-uh. But after doing research on the name, I realise it's an Irish name which is actually pronounced keer-a (like Keira).

But we like the see-R-uh pronunciation. So I was thinking, how do I spell it so that people will know how to pronounce it the way we like it?

Maybe Cearra or Siarra?

The sad thing is, I don't think it looks as pretty spelt these ways.

What do you guys think?

Sierra! I think that spelling is pretty familiar and would definitely be pronounced that way.

I think if you really like it as Ciara, then just go with it. Some other girl managed to pull it off, your kid probably can too! Sure, they'll be correcting everyone forever, but that's not the end of the world. You are pronouncing it (see-are-a right?)
    Have you thought about Sierra? (See-air-uh) Very similar to (see-R-uh) I would probably go with Sierra and just pronounce it the other way. I think it's a lot closer to what you're going for than Ciara.
    Teen nameberry with an ever changing list of favourites...
    Girls: Aria, Stella, Jane, Celia, Krista, Ginny, Eliza, Sadie
    Boys: Caleb, Luke Flynn, Finn, August, Alfie, Charlie, Orion.

Honestly, when I first say Ciara I thought it was pronounced see-arr-uh, too. If you don't plan on living in the UK or Ireland, I think you should be okay.
    Amedeo Enjolras Aristotle Leonardo Archer Olivier Mischa Liam Caspian Benedict Theodore Fitzwilliam
    Rosalie Evangeline Mirabelle Ophelia Alice Elisabeth Stella Titania Artemis Cicely Margarethe Thalia Astrid

I think that only true name-ophiles or people familiar with Irish names would know that Ciara is technically pronounced like keera. If you're going for See-R-uh (I assume the R is pronounced like the pirate "ahr"?), Ciara will get you there and imho is a lot prettier aesthetically than alternate kree8tiv spellings.