Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sister for Gabriel/Adeline Questions

Hi Berries!

We are starting to think about TTC in the next year or so, and of course that gets me thinking about baby names! Our son's name is Gabriel James, and I'd like some help thinking about his little sister's name. We are pretty much set on Adeline for the first name; we have both loved it for a long time. What I'd like some opinions on are Adeline's nickname and middle name (I love the full name, but we tend to be nicknamey people, and I enjoy calling my son both Gabriel and Gabe, for example).

We have planned on using Addy as a nickname, which I do like, but it is SO popular, so now I'm thinking about using Ada or Della. Thoughts on those? I know Ada is generally pronounced ay-duh, but if it was short for Adeline, should it be ADD-uh? I don't really care for the Adah spelling, but I do like the ADD-uh pronunciation. I like ay-duh too; just wondering if that's strange to do for Adeline.

As for a middle name, lately I am really crushing on Rosemary. Adeline Rosemary...WDYT? (Ada Rose, Della Rose?) Others I like are Phoebe, Matilda, Charlotte, Juliet, Fiona, Nora, Esme, and Cordelia. Thoughts?

Our last name is incredibly short (3 letters and one syllable), so I strongly prefer a 2 or 3 syllable middle name. Also, we really like Jospehine for a first name too. If we ever have two girls, and we've named the first Adeline, would it work to have Adeline and Josephine as sisters? Or are the endings too similar?

Thank you for your help!

Why not spell it Adda? I don't think Adeline and Josephine are too similar. The endings are pronounced differently and one is a feminization while the other is not.

ETA: I just checked, and Ada and Adeline are related names, so I think you can get away with "ay-duh" if you want. And Adeline Rosemary is gorgeous.
    Last edited by southern.maple; December 10th, 2013 at 10:51 AM.
    Emily • Nineteen • United States
    History student, name nerd, and general geek.
    ♂ | Samuel Edward George Arthur Ezra Gideon James
    ♀ | Jane Helen Anne Cora Phoebe Gwen Catherine

I really like the idea of Adeline nn Ada, I think it's just lovely. Adeline Rosemary is just beautiful.

One question though: how do you pronounce Adeline? I pronounce it as -LEEN at the end, as it was my great-aunt's name and that's how hers was pronounced, but I know that a lot of people pronounce it -LYN. I think Ade-LEEN and Josephine are too close, but not Ade-LYN and Josephine.
    My furry darlings ~ Bodie the border terrier & Portia and Penny the guinea pigs

Amabel ~ Beryl ~ Bryony ~ Cecily ~ Charis ~ Clara ~ Dinah ~ Flora ~ Georgiana ~ Ophelia ~ Rosamund ~ Sylvie ~ Tabitha ~ Tamsin ~ Violet

Arthur ~ Barnaby ~ Basil ~ Bertie ~ Darcy ~ Elliot ~ Felix ~ Fraser ~ Frederick ~ Henry ~ Monty ~ Rowan ~ Rupert ~ Theodore ~ Tristan

Quote Originally Posted by hanniekitt View Post
    I really like the idea of Adeline nn Ada, I think it's just lovely. Adeline Rosemary is just beautiful.

One question though: how do you pronounce Adeline? I pronounce it as -LEEN at the end, as it was my great-aunt's name and that's how hers was pronounced, but I know that a lot of people pronounce it -LYN. I think Ade-LEEN and Josephine are too close, but not Ade-LYN and Josephine.
    I pronounce Adeline ADD-uh-LINE (like Caroline), so yes, the ending is different than in Jospehine (EEN).

Thanks ladies! I'm glad you like Adeline Rosemary and that Ada seems to work with Adeline (I will have to contemplate the Adda spelling, not sure how I feel about it).

Anyone else??