Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Words, Not Names (Yet?)

I am punch drunk on words as well as names. Which means this is a pretty cool time to be alive and on nameberry, because more and more former "only" words are now used as names as well.

Many I already love, like Ruby, Linden, Marigold, Lilac, Clarity, Fenton. Stones, trees, flowers, shrubs, virtue words, surnames, and more.

A few I have begun to love recently, like Frost, Afternoon, Evening, Vesper.

Some I wish would go back to being words only like Craven, Strider, Drover, Striker (what I can't help but think of as assassin/thug words) and the (to me) consumer society words like Chase, Cash, Royce, and Diamond.

Sometimes though, emboldened by the wide naming horizon of today, I begin to fantasize about Words Which Are Only Words Now, but Who Knows in the Future...

Here are some of my favorites (OCD and nameberry blend like a fine Meritage).

Apothecary. Cornucopia. Chalcedony. Veranda. Vitality. Kite. Evinrude.

Pamplemousse. Mossops. Bruges. Palomino. Mapleton. Chesterfield. Davenport.

Frock. Luncheon. Crestfallen. Rhapsody. L'Heure Bleu. Bismarck. Thistle.

Maritime. Tidy. Pantry. Therapy. Jaunty. Priory. Frontispiece.

Marionberry. Gooseberry. Spinster. Library. Museum. Candelabra. Candolier.

Rhubarb. Blancmange. Nesselrode. Deglet Noor. Frango. Syllabub. Persimmon.

Cardamom. Corduroy. Lazuli. Ptarmigan. Pheasant. Nutmeg. Harvest.

What are some words you love and wouldn't mind seeing in the far blue yonder become names?

I love word names but I use them in stories so I can use them. Recently, I used Puzzle (boy), Halcyon (boy), Gentry (girl), Bodkin (boy), Sly (boy), Glory (girl), Honey (girl), Caprice (girl), Murmur (boy), Wilder (boy), Talon (boy), Darken (boy), Solace (girl) and Wolf (girl). In my book, people get renamed with word names when they pass certain milestones in their training and the words describe something about them. There's a cute scene where he's trying to name Wolf and goes through all of these as potentials for her name -- Rebel, Sage, Savvy, Salient, Nimble, Sprite, Thorn (he says "because you're such a thorn in my side"), Solo, Lonesome, Lone Wolf (that's where he figures it out). When she gets fussy, he says "Maybe I should call you Fussy or Finicky or Persnickety? Tell me I can call you Persnickety? It is so fun to say.”

Anyway, I love word names :P I've known people names:

Noble
    Valiant
    Justice
    Winsome -- It's super cute because he introduced himself to me like "Winsome. As in charming and handsome." *crooked smile*
    Whimsy
    Wilder Hawthorne
    (Elodie) Bramble
    Fable
    River
    Fox

And I like all of those. Words I wish could be names or that I like as names:

Boys:

Valiant -- used to love this name
    Finch
    Bravery
    True
    Poet
    River
    Bard
    Merit
    Kite
    Boone
    Lyric
    Fox
    Justice
    Sterling
    Atlas
    Adventure
    Bishop (but too religious -- i love it from Aliens)
    Blaze
    Hawthorne
    Cloud
    Cypress
    Crane
    Dare
    Equinox
    Jester -- though not a good image really...I like the similar Jesper which is a legit name
    Noble
    Quest
    Rush
    Swift
    Rune
    Quill
    Cloud
    Frost

Girls:

Reverie
    Willow
    Saga
    Mist
    Lithe
    Symphony
    Story
    Fable
    True
    Dulcet
    Sonnet
    Ethereal
    Whisper
    Memory
    Ember
    Bramble (i know a Wilder Hawthorne with sister Elodie Bramble)
    Cloud
    Clarity/Clarion
    Cypress
    Epiphany
    Fauna
    Imagine
    Lotus
    Merry
    Psyche

And on and on :P I started a thread forever ago you might like -- http://nameberry.com/nametalk/thread...ure-Word-Names

From yours, I like:

Kite
    Pamplemousse -- I don't like this but what is it? Is it furniture (judging by it's rank with Chesterfield and Davenport)
    Rhapsody
    Thistle -- isn't this just fun to say ^_^
    Jaunty -- In a book I'm reading, there's a character named Jonty ^_^
    Lazuli
    Mother, Hellenic Pagan Priestess, and Resident Greek name expert ^_^ Call me Dantea or Remy

http://covertocoverediting.webs.com/ -- Editing services available for cheap.

Proud Mama to:
    Persephone Elysia Willow -- June 5th 2013
    TTC #2 by Christmas 2014

@dantea - Pamplemousse is the French word for "grapefruit," actually. :P I love many of the names on your list; I briefly considered Cypress for my third and I have Clarity and Willow on my long list should I have another girl.

@lesliemarion - Some fascinating word-names on there! Vitality and Priory especially struck me. Nutmeg has a cute built-in nickname with Meg, but also the major potential for teasing with that other syllable... sad. :/

I've known a few people with word names in real life, and also a sibling pair with number names, strangely enough - the brother was named Seven, the sister Trillion (which she always wrote in scientific notation as 10 with the exponent 12). Their dad was a math teacher - a bit overly cute for me.

I really hope Rhubarb makes it into the naming world!
    Mom to Emberlee Shea. Expecting #2 Aug 2014.