Names Searched Right Now:

View Poll Results: Please select one of the following:

Voters
54. You may not vote on this poll
  • Christian Antony Fitzwilliam

42 77.78%
  • Kit Antony Fitzwilliam

11 20.37%
  • Neither of the above, reconsider your naming taste and values now before it is forever too late.

1 1.85%
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Christian - 'Too Christian'?

The title says it all really - is Christian too 'Christian', as it were? I am, in fact, a practising Christian but feel uncomfortable 'promoting' my religion in this way - the name honours family in addition to my faith (and I love the name, so that helps too!), but Christian has never seemed overtly, well, Christian until someone mentioned it to me the other day: it sounds ridiculous admitting it now, but it was just a name before, I never saw it as an adjective.

Any potential Christian would go by Kit practically all of the time, but I'm a fan of a formal name for the birth certificate.

Also, I'm English and flow doesn't matter. (not that those two things are related, I just thought it might be helpful to have some background)

I voted for Kit.

I actually like the full name Christian a bit more, but with two longer middle names, I think Kit looks and sounds better. Both combos are lovely though As for it being too Christian- I didn't even realise the religion thing was a problem until I started frequenting name sites! Christian is a great name -it's somewhere on my long list- and, like you, I don't really connect it to Christianity/the adjective. It's a name in it's own right to me. You can't go wrong with a Christian

I personally know several Christians and never thought anything about it being too religious.

I actually had a friend named Christian who was firmly atheist as well as his parents. He got a kick out of it and said it never bothered him.

I think it has so much popular use as a name that not everyone would immediately think religious overload when hearing it. The only way I could see it being too much is if Christian had siblings Faith, Grace, and Trinity.
    If you love it, definitely keep it on your list. Especially if it means a lot to you.

I don't immediately think of the religious connotations, so no, I don't think its "too Christian". I don't think many other people will make the connection either, especially if you intend for him to be known mostly as Kit.
    Not expecting but hopefully one day that will change.

Favourite Combos
    Ivy Adelaide/Lyra Evangeline/Eliza Genevieve
    Hugo Benjamin/James Anthony/Rory Alexander

Other Favourites
    Octavia, Astrid, Estella, Hestia, Wallis, Sheridan
    Rafferty, Malachy, Jasper, Harrison, Sidney, Killian

Christian Antony Fitzwilliam is so handsome! I love that someone's considering using Fitzwilliam, even as a middle. Christian and Antony are one of Prince Andrew's and Prince Edward's middle names respectively, so it feels rather royal. The whole name gives me a 19th century English noble kind of feel. I grew up in a very Christian household (my father's a clergyman) but still wouldn't think of Christianity if someone introduced themselves as Christian. Kit is a sweet nickname but I prefer fuller names on the birth certificate.
    ~Love names, literature, royals and horses~ <3

Favourite names:
    Girls: Azalea, Cordelia, Elizabeth, Rosalind, Scarlett, Portia, Felicity, Juliet
    Boys: Fitzwilliam, Sebastian, Percival, Prospero, Orlando, Darcy