Names Searched Right Now:

View Poll Results: Please select one of the following:

Voters
54. You may not vote on this poll
  • Christian Antony Fitzwilliam

42 77.78%
  • Kit Antony Fitzwilliam

11 20.37%
  • Neither of the above, reconsider your naming taste and values now before it is forever too late.

1 1.85%
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Christian - 'Too Christian'?

The title says it all really - is Christian too 'Christian', as it were? I am, in fact, a practising Christian but feel uncomfortable 'promoting' my religion in this way - the name honours family in addition to my faith (and I love the name, so that helps too!), but Christian has never seemed overtly, well, Christian until someone mentioned it to me the other day: it sounds ridiculous admitting it now, but it was just a name before, I never saw it as an adjective.

Any potential Christian would go by Kit practically all of the time, but I'm a fan of a formal name for the birth certificate.

Also, I'm English and flow doesn't matter. (not that those two things are related, I just thought it might be helpful to have some background)

GIRLS: Carlotta Miriam BenedikteMarguerite Airlie SusannahElisabet Ruth Frederica

Car Baby Tuppence Zosia Mabel---------------------------------------------Recent Fancies: Hamish Idris February & Vivian Tamsin Blythe

I voted for Kit.

I actually like the full name Christian a bit more, but with two longer middle names, I think Kit looks and sounds better. Both combos are lovely though As for it being too Christian- I didn't even realise the religion thing was a problem until I started frequenting name sites! Christian is a great name -it's somewhere on my long list- and, like you, I don't really connect it to Christianity/the adjective. It's a name in it's own right to me. You can't go wrong with a Christian

I personally know several Christians and never thought anything about it being too religious.

I actually had a friend named Christian who was firmly atheist as well as his parents. He got a kick out of it and said it never bothered him.

I think it has so much popular use as a name that not everyone would immediately think religious overload when hearing it. The only way I could see it being too much is if Christian had siblings Faith, Grace, and Trinity.
    If you love it, definitely keep it on your list. Especially if it means a lot to you.

I don't immediately think of the religious connotations, so no, I don't think its "too Christian". I don't think many other people will make the connection either, especially if you intend for him to be known mostly as Kit.
    Not expecting, just a girl with an interest in etymology.

Favourite Girls: http://nameberry.com/userlist/view/42001
    Favourite Boys: http://nameberry.com/userlist/view/47207

Favourite Combos
    Ivy Adelaide/Lyra Evangeline/Poppy Matilda/Eliza Genevieve/Wallis Katherine/Sydney Beatrix
    Harrison ?/James Anthony/Hugo Benjamin/Rory Alexander/Malachy George

Christian Antony Fitzwilliam is so handsome! I love that someone's considering using Fitzwilliam, even as a middle. Christian and Antony are one of Prince Andrew's and Prince Edward's middle names respectively, so it feels rather royal. The whole name gives me a 19th century English noble kind of feel. I grew up in a very Christian household (my father's a clergyman) but still wouldn't think of Christianity if someone introduced themselves as Christian. Kit is a sweet nickname but I prefer fuller names on the birth certificate.
    ~Love names, literature, royals and horses~ <3

Favourite names:
    Girls: Azalea, Cordelia, Elizabeth, Rosalind, Portia, Felicity, Juliet, Scarlett
    Boys: Fitzwilliam, Sebastian, Percival, Prospero, Orlando, Darcy