Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

What is the male equivalent of Elisabeth?

Something utterly classic, a bit softer than the traditional spelling (Elizabeth), but also with a bit of international flair (Elisabeth is the French and German form of Elizabeth).

I've been trying to find a combo for months for Boaz "Beau", and I don't want something BORING, but anything traditional and completely classic seems a bit boring. I want something pretty normal, because Boaz is pretty out there, but not bore-you-to-death boring. I've tossed around Boaz Frederick, Boaz Benjamin, Boaz Atticus, etc., in the past, but I feel like they're all not quite right. I feel like I need something softer, to combat that harsh "Z" ending, but also something pretty mainstream, to balance out Boaz's quirky unusualness. I'm always seem to opt for Elisabeth on my girls' list for those combos that nothing ever seems right with, and they seem perfect. What would Elisabeth's male alternative be?

(Note: I'm not looking for a male sound-alike version of Elisabeth. Just something that shares a lot of the same characteristics.)

Also, since Boaz is so obviously Hebrew/Biblical, I'm hoping to avoid another Biblical middle, although I have seriously tossed around Noah and Peter as second middles...

Thanks, ladies!
    Ashley
    twenty-something namenerd and aspiring novelist

Isabelle + Arianne + Olivia + Violet + Charlotte + Emmeline + Eleni + Grace + Audrey + Eva + Catherine + Tess + Zoe
    Caleb + Everett + Jack + Avery + Samuel + Zane + Brody + Declan + Caspar + Grant + Rory + Thomas + Peter

i love Boaz and could see it paired with
    Boaz Charles
    Boaz Henry
    Boaz Marshall
    Boaz Ulysses

avoid anything starting with J to prevent those dreaded initials
    TTC #1

Favorites right now:

Kathryn (Ryn) Mae

Brooks (Brooksie) Flynn

Well, I guess that leaves out Boaz Eli, which popped into my head after reading your post. Others I can think of:
    Maybe Elias?
    I'm thinking Davis.
    I like Milan in the middle spot there.
    Michael--don't know if that's too Hebrew for what you're looking for, but it does sound nice.
    I don't know why, but I'm thinking Rhodri?
    Fitzwilliam.
    Horatio.
    Whitney.
    Wiley/Wylie.
    Wystan.
    Maybe Winston?

Anyway, good luck!

When I think of Elizabeth I think of these points:

1. Traditional.
    2. Translates into lots of languages.
    3. A shed load of nicknames.

The boy name equivalent that springs to mind is William as it fulfils all three categories. Perhaps Willem?
    ~Boys~

Jory Leander Atticus, August Eli Benedict, Casimir Mordecai Stewart,
    Edmond John Meirion, Horatio Ethell Emery, Bram William Jasper,
    Julian Remy Charles, Vasiliy Lochlan Michael.

~Girls~

Aira Rose ___, Eleni Fiorella Charlotte, Sylvia Sayuri Noor,
    Merit Eleanora Adelaide, Clover Elodie Seraphine, Bridie Scarlett Viola,
    Marguerite Cecilia Iris, Eilidh Clara Valentine.

Sorry to anyone who read TSI. First draft was terrible. Second drafting now.