Names Searched Right Now:

View Poll Results: Which 60's Names Seem Usable Now?

Voters
34. You may not vote on this poll
  • Susan/Suzanne/Susie/Sue

3 8.82%
  • Karen/Kelly

0 0%
  • Debbie/Debra

0 0%
  • Lynn/Lori/Laurie

0 0%
  • Louann/LeeAnn

0 0%
  • Carolyn/Marilyn

9 26.47%
  • Melissa/Missy

6 17.65%
  • Paula

0 0%
  • Michelle

3 8.82%
  • Julie

13 38.24%
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Talkin' 'Bout My Generation!

I am trying to make peace with my generation's girl names. I was born in 1962 and the girls I went to school with were generally named:

Debbie/Debra
    Missy/Melissa
    Suzie/Suzanne/Susan
    Kelly
    Karen
    Paula
    Carolyn
    Tina
    Marilyn
    Jennifer
    Lori
    Lisa
    Michelle
    Gina
    Julie
    Cindy
    Yvonne
    Louann/LeeAnn
    Lynn

etc.

I am wondering which of these names seem usable now. I appreciate the name Deborah, though not Debbie. And generally I could modify the 60's name to a form I like (Caroline for Carolyn, Julia for Julie, Louisa for Louann), but I still feel the original names are as flat as Kansas.

Thoughts? I am open to hearing if people really like these names too - maybe it will help me see them more positively.

PS I did it again. I forgot to mark multiple answers, sorry. Not sure how to change that, or if I can.
    Last edited by lesliemarion; December 4th, 2013 at 12:32 AM.

I actually really like Julie. I go back and forth on whether I like it better than Julia or not. To me, it just sounds like a really friendly and pretty name.

Suzanne is my sister's middle name, and I honored her with Susannah in the middle for my daughter. I definitely prefer Susannah to any of the other forms, but Suzanne is charming.

Yvonne reminds me of the glamorous Yvonne DeCarlo, which keeps it in the usable realm for me.

The others, I don't like, but don't hate, either - with the exception of Missy (Melissa isn't awful, but Missy makes the feminist in me angry).

Didn't

Quote Originally Posted by esrever88 View Post
    I actually really like Julie. I go back and forth on whether I like it better than Julia or not. To me, it just sounds like a really friendly and pretty name.

Suzanne is my sister's middle name, and I honored her with Susannah in the middle for my daughter. I definitely prefer Susannah to any of the other forms, but Suzanne is charming.

Yvonne reminds me of the glamorous Yvonne DeCarlo, which keeps it in the usable realm for me.

The others, I don't like, but don't hate, either - with the exception of Missy (Melissa isn't awful, but Missy makes the feminist in me angry).
    mean to sound like I hate these names, but generally I just do not see their appeal. I know many lovely women and friends with these names and all three Julies I have known have been friendly and pretty. I'm rethinking Julie now!

My name is Erin. I am 22 years old and I have loved baby names since I was 10.

Girl names: Juliet Grace, Madeline Hope, Stella Bridget, Emilia Ruby, Clara ?, Fiona Lily, Bridget Amelia, Lydia Charlotte, Eliza Phoebe, Tabitha ?

Boy names: Jonathan Rhys, Roman Isaiah, Joel ?, Liam Anthony, Dawson Cole, Leeland Gabriel, Greyson Jeremiah, Wesley ?, Quinn ?, Griffin Miles,

I have a soft spot for Michelle. And Marilyn, maybe because it's my grandmother's name. And Suzie is pretty cute. I know a little Susannah who goes by Suzie.
    Lee, blackbird.

Audrey/Marian/Joss/Natalie
    Julian/James/Robin/Christopher