Names Searched Right Now:
Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast
    LET ME TELL YOU-
    I volunteer at a preschool weekly and I've got some weird peeves.

#1- when people take a word or phrase, butcher the spelling, and put it on the birth certificate, children I've met are-
    Aunestie (honesty)
    Yu'Shel'Prai (you shall pray! No lie, I swear)
    Hevynleigh (heavenly)
    Kamrah (camera)

#2 again with the obscure words-
    Frank Zappa, for example, did this.
    Dweezil Zappa
    Moon Unit Zappa
    Diva Zappa
    Ahmet Zappa
    WHY?!

And the Junior thing. Not happening.
    Girls Top 10:
    Sonnet, Penelope, Evangeline, Maisie, Lexington, Fable, Cricket, Sailor, Seraphina, Thea

Boys Top 10:
    Hendrix, Roarke, Castle, Stellan, Cohen, Maximum, Calvary, Atticus, Hawk, Canaan

Guilty Pleasure-
    Boy: Kohl, Falcon, Myles, Flynnigan, Brave
    Girl: Tigerlily, Larkspur, Tinleigh, Emerson, Maddox

teenberry, equestrian, second youngest of 9 girls
    FurMommy to Bleu the yorkie!

@Dantea I am only 14 and I know a male Ebony its weird at first but you get used to it. What I was saying is that sure it was originally a boys name but it is more popular for girls and people need to realise that.
    ☆Isobel★Eloise☆Matilda★Alice☆Eleanor★ Amelia☆ Elena★Mirabel☆ Felicity★Phoebe ☆Eilidh ★Rosalia☆Roisin★Azalea☆Elsa★Arabella☆ Genevieve★Elodie☆Ruby★Charlotte☆
    ★☆★
    ☆Eamon★Tiago☆Cooper★Jack☆Jago★Flynn☆ Archer★Lincoln☆Asher★Alfie☆Taylor★Baxter ☆Finnian★Lawson☆Jasper★Lewis ★Oscar☆Fletcher★Caspian☆Miller★
    babynameobsessed.worpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by emiliana View Post
    @Dantea I am only 14 and I know a male Ebony its weird at first but you get used to it. What I was saying is that sure it was originally a boys name but it is more popular for girls and people need to realise that.
    I am guilty of that - one of my top boys names is Darcy, but I also love Ashley, Addison, Taylor & Mackenzie for a boy. I don't see how it's that big of a deal though - Haley was originally all boy in the spelling I was given, but it eventually mainstreamed into girls. In other countries though, some of the unisex names are all boy, like in England;

Mackenzie is 375th for a boy, with 112 births, and is 1428 for a girl, with 22 births
    Addison is 515th for a boy, with 72 births, but is 556th for a girl with 76 births (so pretty even split there)
    Ashley is 216th for a boy, with 248 births, and is 600th for a girl with 70 births.
    Taylor is 93rd for a boy with 677 births and is 213 for a girl with 236 births

The only one I like that is more common for girls there is Darcy, but even then, it doesn't remotely bother me. If someone asks if it's a girls' name, I'll simply retort with 'ever heard of Pride and Prejudice?', because that's where the name came from for me. Plus that, there are quite a few North American NHL (Hockey) players who are named Darcy, and are in fact men.

BTW: you have Taylor on your list....Taylor is primarily for girls in America&Canada.
    Last edited by lawsonhaley; December 2nd, 2013 at 08:00 AM.

Florence, Edith, Doris, Alice, Elsie, Lillian, Violet, Mabel, Ada, Evelyn
    Eva, Edna, Minnie, Martha, Amelia, Phoebe, Sylvia, Hazel, Agatha, Beatrice

Matthew, Ernest, Louis, Christopher, Andrew, Albert, George, Joshua, James, Harry
    Freddie, Henry, Adam, Teddy, Daniel, Percy, Mark, Walter, Stanley, Liam

when you've been fighting for it all your life, you've been struggling every day and night,
    it's how a superhero learns to fly

I don't mind girl names on boys or the other way around. For boys I'm a fan of Darcy, Lark, Ashley, Mackenzie, and Allison/Ellison.

BUT, don't shun me NB, I love Leighton, Lennox, Reese, Piper, Emerson, and Maddox (Maddie) on girls.

My own name is Mattie and people say that's a boy name. I always reply that it's a nick name for Matilda, but that I only use that for formal settings.
    Last edited by blueyorkie; December 2nd, 2013 at 11:32 AM.
    Girls Top 10:
    Sonnet, Penelope, Evangeline, Maisie, Lexington, Fable, Cricket, Sailor, Seraphina, Thea

Boys Top 10:
    Hendrix, Roarke, Castle, Stellan, Cohen, Maximum, Calvary, Atticus, Hawk, Canaan

Guilty Pleasure-
    Boy: Kohl, Falcon, Myles, Flynnigan, Brave
    Girl: Tigerlily, Larkspur, Tinleigh, Emerson, Maddox

teenberry, equestrian, second youngest of 9 girls
    FurMommy to Bleu the yorkie!

My biggest pet peeve is probably when people give no thought to their surname when naming their child (especially when it's a boy...but for either sex). Rhyming, last/first sounds, bad initials, doesn't sound good, etc. Bl@ke Cook is one that annoys me. Or Shelly Kelly.

Another annoyance for me is themes within sibsets. All virtues, or surnames, or all names begin with 'Br', etc. I do pay attention to the way a sibset 'goes' together in terms of naming style (although I don't think it's a deal breaker), but when names become too matchy I shudder. (Hope, Love, and Faith, for example)

Ditching a favorite name because it's too popular can sometimes bother me, although those statistics listed by a pp don't exactly tell real life. My stepsons are in Pre-K and 4th Grade, and I see SO many little girls named Maddie in their classes, playgroups and daycare. Ava, Ella, Aidan and Landon are others that are seen everywhere. Maybe not all in the one single class, but in the grade as a whole. Thinking back to my classrooms as a child, how many kids were named Michael, Joshua, Jessica? I knew several of each of those. It's when someone says 'Harper' or 'Jonah' is too popular that I will start to roll my eyes. It's like when someone stops listening to their favorite band because their songs are now on the radio.

A lot of people on NB talk about "boys names on girls", even though many of them are rooted as unisex. Not just because it's one of my favorite names, Rowan is a great example. As far as this name can be traced back it's been used on both boys and girls. I cringe a little every time I hear "that's a boys name"...because it's both. Also, I am personally all about breaking both masculine and feminine gender roles..and names are no exception.
    Last edited by aggielou; December 2nd, 2013 at 06:03 PM.

Agatha Louise - 'Aggie'
    Proud Step-Mom To
    Maddox Owen | Ryker Matthew
    Expecting First Biological Child - Little Girl - June 2014

Abram | Abel | Breccan | Brooks | Foster | Killian | Macsen | Milo | Silas
    Aurelia | Ever | Eloise | Madigan | Maeva | Noa | Romilly | Rowan | Wren