Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Biggest Pet Peeve

My biggest naming pet peeve is when parents literally recycle names they've given to previous children, and giving them to newborns. I understand entirely if it's honouring a sibling, however in the UK birth announcements posted on britishbabynames.com for this past week, there were three sets that consisted of repeated siblings:

Elizabeth Jane Sheila (Mary Isabelle Charlotte & Arabella Jane Hilda)
    Florence Imogen Ann (Imogen & Toby)
    Freya Mary (Eloise Mary)

I don't know if it's just me or more people find this annoying, but I feel like a child shouldn't have to share a name with their sibling (unless it's extenuating circumstances, I looked it up for these, and they do not fall into that category as far as I can tell).
    "But while some of the brightest of our celestial bodies are actually extinct now, their energy long since cooled, but miraculously, because they float in the heavens so far away from us now, their beautiful light will continue to shine on us forever, and the glow will be so bright, it'll warm your heart, it'll make your eyes glisten, and it'll make you think to yourselves, what a concept"

That is annoying. It's like they forgot they already used that name on one of their previous children! Just as bad as the inexplicable English tradition of recycling your OWN name on your kid and tacking a 'Junior' at the end of it! Gah.

Quote Originally Posted by perrygirl View Post
    That is annoying. It's like they forgot they already used that name on one of their previous children! Just as bad as the inexplicable English tradition of recycling your OWN name on your kid and tacking a 'Junior' at the end of it! Gah.
    Oh I hate the junior idea! I'd use my future husband's name/my name as a middle name, but never as a first. Unless my husband's middle name was like, one of my absolute favourites like Walter or Darcy or Adam, then my son might get that as a first name.
    "But while some of the brightest of our celestial bodies are actually extinct now, their energy long since cooled, but miraculously, because they float in the heavens so far away from us now, their beautiful light will continue to shine on us forever, and the glow will be so bright, it'll warm your heart, it'll make your eyes glisten, and it'll make you think to yourselves, what a concept"

I am not sure why parents do this either. I have also known people to have a first name that is either the same as or very similar to their surname, like David Davis.

Maebry Eloise o Piers Lachlan
    Emma ? o Lily ? o Grace ?
    Charlie Hawthorne o Jack Wilder o Finn Archer
    -------------- o -------------- o ---------------

heart my son

Quote Originally Posted by lovemysweeties View Post
    I am not sure why parents do this either. I have also known people to have a first name that is either the same as or very similar to their surname, like David Davis.
    I actually know a William McWilliams, and of course there's American Idol winner Phillip Phillips. His parents seemingly dropped the ball on that one.