Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

thoughts on Ivory?

My sister is considering this name for her daughter and I'm torn. I really want to be supportive of the name she likes but i just have a big meh reaction to her choices lately. Especially Ivory.

What do you guys think? When i first heard it, my immediate thoughts were about white supremacy and elephant poaching. But i mentioned that to a friend who insisted Ivory was delicate and vintage and lace-like. For her it brought up images of vintage wallpaper and cameo necklaces.

So...what do you guys think? Can Ivory work? Am i being too judgy? Help me love Ivory.
    I hope to be a mom one day. For now I enjoy being a name lover.

My apologies for any typos; i post from my mobile phone.

I'm on your side. Ivory sounds pretty (it's very similar to Ivy) but it doesn't bring up positive images for me. Whenever I hear the name Ivory, I hear the song Ebony and Ivory playing in my head. It's definitely not a favorite of mine.
    -Athena

Top Girls: Under Construction

Top Boys: Under Construction

Yeah, I'm on your side, too. Just reading the title of your post (before I read what you had to say), I immediately thought - ugh, elephant poaching and white supremacy!! Not positive images to be associated with a name. Or the expression "tickling the ivories." Ew, weird. Oh, and isn't there a soap called Ivory? If she likes Ivory, why not suggest Ivy or Iris? Both vintage-y, both unique, both "thing" names (in this case, plants rather than elephant tusks...). Or if she likes the white theme, what about Bianca? Sounds vintage-y and unique, and no elephant poaching involved. Or Emory, Ellery? It has a similar sound to Ivory. Or if she's into the 'v' sound, how about Ever? Really, anything but Ivory would probably be a step up.

I will answer as an Ebony. It sounds great in theory but I always get Ebony and Ivory sung to me and its always one line. Its considered lower class and trashy in the US and UK and I'm sure Ivory would too. I do love my name and an Ivory could always go by Ivy.
    ☆Isobel★Eloise☆Matilda★Alice☆Eleanor★ Amelia☆ Elena★Mirabel☆ Felicity★Phoebe ☆Eilidh ★Rosalia☆Roisin★Azalea☆Elsa★Arabella☆ Genevieve★Elodie☆Ruby★Charlotte☆
    ★☆★
    ☆Eamon★Tiago☆Cooper★Jack☆Jago★Flynn☆ Archer★Lincoln☆Asher★Alfie☆Taylor★Baxter ☆Finnian★Lawson☆Jasper★Lewis ★Oscar☆Fletcher★Caspian☆Miller★
    babynameobsessed.worpress.com

I agree with you. Also, I think of Ivory brand soap. I don't think it is usable.
    Mom to Emberlee Shea. Expecting #2 Aug 2014.