Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Which Spelling?

Which Spelling?

Hi Berries!
    Which spelling is better, Amelia or Emilia? I would want to use the nn Milly, but I feel like I could use it with both spellings. Which spelling do you prefer?
    Thanks!
    Just another teenberry and writer, a lover of names
    Current Favorites:
    | Zoe | Selene | Thalia | Persephone | Ariadne | Lilia | Natalia | Nicoletta | Jane | Alice |

| Dimitri | Augustus | Jude | Nico | Tobias | Samuel | Orion | Leo | James | Jason |

Pondering:
    | Artemis | Cassandra | Cleo | Elizabeth | Miriam | Susannah | Sylvia | Thaddeus |

GP:
    | Thisbe | Cassiopeia | Briseis | Mercy | Lachlan | Emerson | Callum | Owen |

Have a fabulous day!

Emilia, Emilia, Emilia! I've grown to the place where I can accept Amelia, but I LOVE Emilia--find it so much more streamlined and timeless and sweet. Amelia has always been musty and icky for me. Amelia's a family name, but if I ever honor her, it'll be with the Emilia spelling. I adore it to pieces.

I prefer Amelia Emilia looks odd to me, plus it WILL be mistaken as Amelia.
    ~Emily

Ladies...
    Annabel, Carlotta, Tamar, Jubilee, Lorelei, Lola, Josie, Alice, Indira, Claire, Liliosa, Vivienne, Ella, Abigail, Ivy

Gents...
    Jameson, Samuel, Archer, Dominic, Barnaby, Paul, Henry, Oliver, Jadon, Isaac, Harrison, Lawson, Ezra, Rhys

"The most beautiful voice in the world is that of an educated Southern woman."
    (Stolen from @tabby)

Your choice depends partly upon pronunciation and partly upon whether you wish to consider the names' origins.

Amelia is prn ah-MEE-lee-ə. Origin: An English variant of the Germanic Amalia, which is derived from amal (work). Alternatively, it may be a variant of Emilia (rival).

Emilia is prn eh-MEE-lee-ə. Origin: Feminine form of Emil, derived from the Latin Aemilius, an old Roman family name probably derived from aemulus (rival, trying to equal or excel, emulating) There are some who thing Emilio is of Germanic origin and derive it from the element amal (work).

I personally prefer Emilia, but that's just me.

They're two completely different names. Personally, I'd go with Amelia because it's more recognizable. Emilia was on my list with my first daughter and everyone kept thinking I was saying Amelia.
    Current favorites:
    Cora . Louisa . Lydia . Mary

My Adoption Journey