Names Searched Right Now:
Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
    I think your list is brave, interesting and wonderful!

In particular, I like the following to match with 'Ulysses':

Sky
    Sage
    Arwen
    Elysium (I've always loved this for a name, I think it is perfect)
    Godiva
    Vivaldi (My oh my, I had never thought of this, but do love the four seasons, and the name has a lovely sound ... what a great idea)
    Eden

The other names I personally either don't think match very well, or are not as interesting or versatile as these names.
    In terms of other suggestions, Ulysses makes me think of adventure on the high seas, so I went looking for women adventurer names:

Stanhope (Lady Hester Stanhope is pretty wonderful)
    Chalmers (Harriet Chalmers Adams, founder and first president of the Society of Woman Geographers; jungle photographer; war correspondent)
    Freya / Stark (Freya Stark... both names a bit trendy right now though!)
    Bly (could be Blythe, nn Bly?) (Nellie Bly)
    Valentina (Valentina Tereshkova - first woman in space)
    Baret (Jeanne Baret, first woman to circumnavigate the globe)
    There are so many others, but their names don't stand out to me as likely pairs with Ulysses...
    Last edited by themonarch; December 2nd, 2013 at 02:26 AM. Reason: Forgot to mention I like Sky as a sibling for Ulysses

Thanx for your lovely post TheMonach

I'm so heartened to see Godiva & Vivaldi make your shortlist too !! I absolutely adore these names. And I love the Four Seasons. My partner also loves Elysium.

Also, I love your women adventurer name suggestions - ingenius idea...

In particular, I warm to Stanhope, Hester, Harriet, Freya, Bly, Valentina...they might make great middle names too...

However, atm I'm totally captivated by the name Godiva...and I'm relieved not everyone finds it objectionable (well, it's certainly not the most pretty or lyrical name that's for sure lol). Will road -test it to see if it's a passing captivation or true love...

As for sibsets, Godiva might not fit Ulysses...but Godiva is such an evocative name...so, if it's not a first name, it might be one of three middle names (yes, very OTT but I just can't limit myself to one middle name at this stage...).

Cheers xxx
    Ulysses | Seabrooke | Lyon | Falcon | Lucius Artorius | Bardyllis | Chivalry | Varro | Auberon

Godiva Pearl | Emerald | Bathsheba Richenza | Pandora |Alaska | Eve | Rain | Ivy | Luna | Persimmon | India Rose | Isabeau | Oceane | Liberty | Hazelbrooke | Vivaldi | Merrivale | Winter | Demelza | Laudine Ferelith Wynter Hazel Rose | Juniper | Olivia | Violet | Odette Leda Snow | Utopia | Laudes

GP: Isis | Ostara | Bellatrix

Are you being serious when you say you'd actually love to be called Antiquity or Kitten? I try to be open minded with naming, and I think you should name your children whatever you want, but they seem literally ridiculous. Ones I'd avoid for utter silliness...
    Ferelith
    Utopia
    Antiquity
    Evan Robert York
    Earendil
    Sky Violet
    Elysium
    Godiva
    Kitten
    Feather
    Quintessence
    Chartreuse
    Vivaldi
    Debussy

I like India, Saffron, Lotus, Lavender, Hermione and Rhonwen best. They seem the most 'uplifting/boho' to me anyway. You might like...

Zinnia
    Iris
    Raven
    Clemency
    Briar
    Allegra
    Ambrosia
    Celeste
    Magnolia
    Sophronia
    Tuesday
    Pansy
    Tamsin
    Kismet
    Amity
    Rhiannon
    Malaika
    Melusine
    Orinthia
    Last edited by oliviasarah; December 2nd, 2013 at 07:29 AM.
    Jemima Rosemary - Eilidh Briar - Fenella Beatrix ✿ Alec Huw - Emmett Nicholas - Rufus Caspian
    Billie, Magdalena, Imogen, Octavia, Ailbhe, Jessa, Raphaela, Agnes, Imogen, Amelia, Medora, Lettice, Annabella.
    Dylan, Breccan, Rhett, Oscar, Ingram, Harrison, William, Vincent, Wolfie, Keaton.

✿✿✿

Traveller at heart and dreaming of future babes, but mostly I'm just an expat teenage girl from England...http://bigsistercomplex.tumblr.com/

I am going to whole heartedly agree with Nameberry that Godiva has "Baggage no child should have to carry". Its like naming you child Hershey.

Also while Elysium is an interesting mythological place... As a given name for an actual human child it's problematic. The -ium ending makes it sound like a chemical or drug. Think magnesium. If you love the name I'd recommend Elysia.

I'm pretty open-minded about names; I work in what most people would call a conservative profession, but the names I'm surrounded by are not 'conservative', perhaps partly because I work in a very multicultural and cosmopolitan city. For me, Godiva is a gem of a name; it's English (I have a weakness for English names), it's well known but underused, it has a great meaning; and Lady Godiva is a great hero in Anglo-Saxon legend (and putting the legend to one side, she and her husband were great benefactors in real life). Not to mention there are stunning paintings and sculptures of her in galleries around the world.

Plus, Ivy is an easy nickname.

I must say, I almost always disagree with those negative comments in the NB database. I'm always surprised by them because they often seem shortsighted to me; maybe because I'm not in the US.
    Last edited by themonarch; December 2nd, 2013 at 06:44 PM.