Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Angry New fave girl name stolen by an upcoming movie!

I'd officially fallen in love with the name Serena (nickname Seri) for a hypothetical future daughter. Husband liked Seri. So far, so good.

This was after a long argument with myself/DH over whether Sarah (nn Sairy) is usable for us; I think our 7 y.o. daughter would have some kind of identity crisis because she wants to be called Sarah. With Seri/Serena we could sort of get around that problem and still use a name we both love.

Anyway, I was just Googling the name Serena to make sure I hadn't missed any of the associations (tennis player Ms. Williams; Gossip Girl, Bewitched character; Sailor Moon, etc., none of which are a huge deal to me) and apparently there is a new movie coming out this September. "Serena" is the name of the movie. It's about a woman who can't have children and tries to kill her husband's illegitimate child and baby-mama.

Gosh dang it.

Would you still use it? Wait and see how well-known the movie becomes? Force yourself to fall in love with Seraphine or Seraphina (reminds me of Aquafina bottled water) or Seri as a stand-alone name? Use the classic Sarah w/ Sairy as a nickname and hope it doesn't bum out Elise? Cross it off the list entirely?

If it matters, this hypothetical child would/will be our last baby.
    Mom to James Daniel (10) William Joseph (9), Elise Marie (7), and Zachary Allan (1)
    http://letterstoauntkay.blogspot.com/

TTC #5
    Serena (Seri), Audrey, Rose, Naomi, Diana, Kate, Adele, Georgia, Lucy, Linnea, Clara
    Thomas Christopher, Henry, Orin, Arthur, Samuel

DH's "approved" list:
    Seri, Naomi, Amy, Diana, Lucy, Kate/Katie/Katherine, Audrey
    Thomas ("maybe")

I would still use the name. One movie is not a good enough reason to rule out a lifetimes worth of a nice name. Especially since it seems to be a standalone movie, not part of a popular mega series or anything, I'd bet the movie is forgotten about 4 months after it comes out anyways...
    Expecting #1 in June 2015!

@asche, I really hope you're right. Please let it be a forgettable movie. It's got Bradley Cooper and Jennifer Lawrence, though...
    Mom to James Daniel (10) William Joseph (9), Elise Marie (7), and Zachary Allan (1)
    http://letterstoauntkay.blogspot.com/

TTC #5
    Serena (Seri), Audrey, Rose, Naomi, Diana, Kate, Adele, Georgia, Lucy, Linnea, Clara
    Thomas Christopher, Henry, Orin, Arthur, Samuel

DH's "approved" list:
    Seri, Naomi, Amy, Diana, Lucy, Kate/Katie/Katherine, Audrey
    Thomas ("maybe")

Yes, I'd use it. If we eliminated all the names in the world used in movies, popular or not, we'd have a very small list to pick from. Serena is a nice name with a history and association that extends far past this movie.

listography.com/JessicaRoseSays

Alexander Owen ~ Patrick Thomas ~ Jeremy Shea ~ Nolan Jack ~ Conor Arlo ~ Evan Daniel ~ Samuel Mark
    Nora ~ Claire ~ Stella ~ Maura ~ Madeleine ~ Violet ~ Victoria ~ Ava ~ Gabrielle ~ Leah ~ Soleil

Really, I don't think this is at all a big deal. This doesn't sound like it's going to be some sort of seminal film, it'll probably do OK in the cinema with those actors and some people will see it, but it's very unlikely to be the sort of thing that's going to turn Serena into a one-strong-association name even if some people do remember it by the time you are potentially naming a daughter. I mean, it's not like people are going to be all: "Oh, did you name her after that crazy woman in the film from last year?" because obviously the answer would be no. Cross the bridge when you come to it, but I wouldn't worry in the slightest.
    Emil - Ingimar - Kjartan - Matthías - Óskar - Róbert

Elísabet - Elva - Rósa - Sólveig - Svala - Ylfa