Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

A game to explore name stereotypes

Do you know the game 20 questions? Well, it has an internet version, which you can play here. If you click "20 q name game", you will be able to access a version of 20 q. played with names.

The game is like this:
    - Think of a name. (Example: Brittany) You should have a clear image of what personality and physical appearance would a person have if it were named like this. (In Brittany's case, I imagine a girl in her later teens, black hair, black eyes)
    - The computer will then ask you questions in an attempt to guess which name you are thinking of. Some questions have only one possible answer (Does the name have only one syllable? If you are thinking of Brittany, no.), but most are up to your personal interpretation (Do they drive well? Do they talk too much?).
    - The computer will try to guess the name.

Let's try to play once thinking of the name Brittany. Here are questions and my answers:

29. I am guessing that it is Beyonce? Wrong.
    28. Are they married? No.
    27. Are they always on-the-go? Yes.
    26. Are they religious? Doubtful.
    25. Do they want to be famous? Yes.
    24. Are they bossy? No.
    23. I am guessing that it is Britney? Close.
    22. Are they artistic? Yes.
    21. Are they trouble? Sometimes.
    20. I am guessing that it is Jennifer? Close.
    19. I am guessing that it is Holli? Wrong.
    18. Are they a kid? No.
    17. I am guessing that it is Kaleigh? Wrong.
    16. Do they say the same thing over and over? Yes.
    15. Is it an old name? No.
    14. Are they a boob? No.
    13. Do they have a common name? Yes.
    12. Are they really smart? No.
    11. Do they like boys? Yes.
    10. Do they know a lot about computers? No.
    9. Do they wear glasses? No.
    8. Does their name have two syllables? Sometimes.
    7. Do they play piano? Doubtful.
    6. Do they know anything about sailing? No.
    5. Are they wild? No.
    4. Do they go to school? Sometimes.
    3. Do they color their hair? Yes.
    2. Are they moody? Sometimes.
    1. It is classified as First name.

The computer didn't get it, but it got really close as Britney is almost the same thing.

The best part of the game is that the database is constantly changing to reflect common knowledge. This means that if a lot of people answer "yes" to the question "are they blonde?" when thinking about Charlotte, the game will remember that the next time someone plays.

Try entering a name you like. At the end of the game it will show you how your perception differs from other people's.

Did you try the game? Was it able to guess what were you thinking of?
    Michelle
    Italian teenberry with synesthesia. Environmentally obsessed.

Clara - Hilary - Leah - Margot - Nina
    Archer - Calvin - Gordon - Leander - Oscar

I tried it with my daughters name, Persephone. It didn't even come close with guesses of Galini, Gianna, Kiana, Alexia, Khalan, and Caterina.
    Mother, Hellenic Pagan Priestess, and Resident Greek name expert ^_^ Call me Dantea or Remy

http://covertocoverediting.webs.com/ -- Editing services available for cheap.

Proud Mama to:
    Persephone Elysia Willow -- June 5th 2013
    TTC #2 by Christmas 2014

Can you post the link, please? I tried searching it on Google and didn't come up with anything like you were describing.

Where it says "you can play it here" up in the original post, click on the word HERE. It's a link.
    Mother, Hellenic Pagan Priestess, and Resident Greek name expert ^_^ Call me Dantea or Remy

http://covertocoverediting.webs.com/ -- Editing services available for cheap.

Proud Mama to:
    Persephone Elysia Willow -- June 5th 2013
    TTC #2 by Christmas 2014

I used the name Tara, I beat 20 questions. I don't know how asking if they look good in pink is an indication to the name. Any way the first guess was Aimee at question 20, then guessed Holly after asking if it was a popular name, then askesd if they would make a good pirate and guessed Brandi, then Katy.

The last lot of named it guessed are: Caitlin, Hattie, Alice, Lizzy, Rosie, Victor, Carey, Britta, Kirsty, Brie, Layla, Ivonne, Brody, Brittani. Gemma, Laine