Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Jessica in the UK

I have a question for the UK Berries on this forum. Why do you guys think Jessica is so popular in the UK? I just found out it's number three!!
    How long has it been popular for? Does this name feel dated to you, or it that only a US thing (although I'm in Belgium, and the few Jessica's I know are all at least 20).
    Do you know a lot of little Jessica's? Do their parents call them by their full name? What are their siblings' names?

I am just completely fascinated by Jessica's current popularity in England... Especially because the top 100 overall feels a lot 'fresher' to me than the US top 100 (Amelia, Isla, Ruby, Poppy, Freya, Scarlett, Daisy, Lola, Maisie, Alice, Matilda, Eliza, Eleanor, Harriet, Zara, Ivy,... to name but a few names popular on Nameberry, and perhaps on the rise in the States, but not quite popular yet)

So, enlighten me, please!

Quote Originally Posted by annabelle View Post
    (although I'm in Belgium, and the few Jessica's I know are all at least 20).
    Yep, the one Jessica I know is twenty six. I too am surprised at it's continuing popularity. It's been used for too long to be dated to one time period though. I'd consider it a classic here.
    ~Boys~

Jory Leander Atticus, August Eli Benedict, Casimir Mordecai Stewart,
    Edmond John Meirion, Horatio Ethell Emery, Bram William Jasper,
    Julian Remy Charles, Vasiliy Lochlan Michael.

~Girls~

Aira Rose ___, Eleni Fiorella Charlotte, Sylvia Sayuri Noor,
    Merit Eleanora Adelaide, Clover Elodie Seraphine, Bridie Scarlett Viola,
    Marguerite Cecilia Iris, Eilidh Clara Valentine.

Sorry to anyone who read TSI. First draft was terrible. Second drafting now.

Jessica's a Shakespeare name, so it's more of a classic than a "dated" name here. I've been surprised at how high it's ranked before as well because I never meet any. The youngest Jessica I know of is 15 I think, she's the daughter of a friend of my husband's. There's a Jessica in my goddaughter's class, she's five. But it's not one of the names I hear a lot.
    [FONT=Palatino Linotype][CENTER]My darling Marian Illyria Aphrodite, March 2013 & Little Bunny (a girl!) due 9th of February 2014[/CENTER][/FONT]

My guess is that the popularity has to do with Olympian Jessica Ennis (as charlieandperry1 states above). It's a pretty Shakespearean name but to me it's "dated" like Melissa, Jennifer, Lisa, Heather and Michelle. It's overuse in North America (starting in the 1970's to the 1990's until it began to slip in the 2000's) gives it an "past expiry date" for me. It just doesn't sound "fresh" anymore.
    All the best,
    Mischa.

To be honest, I'm British, and I really don't get it. Whilst it doesn't feel super early 80s to me, it seems very late 80s/early 90s (think it may have risen to popularity later here than in the US), as I went to school with lots of Jessicas and I'm 22. Very surprised it's still so high in the charts, I've not come across any little Jessicas since I was also little!

I do think, though, that it's more classic than some otherwise comparable names like Georgina, Jade or Megan. Jess Ennis is definitely a wonderful namesake, too!

Annora Juliet, Elspeth, Verity, Zelda, Josephine, Marianne, Rosemary Constance
    Edmund Henry, Wesley, Jonah, Gilbert, August, Winston, Hugh Theodore