Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

I Love All of One Direction's Names - Should I Be Ashamed?

I happen to be a huge One Direction fan (at one point it was the full on obsession, I've liked them since they were formed, and 15-16 year olds sometimes have tendencies to go overboard with that apparently...) and one odd thing I love about them (likely not odd for a namenerd, but odd for the average teenager), and I have loved since I heard about them, is their names.

Yes, I love the names Zayn, Louis William (Lou-ee), Harry Edward, Niall James and Liam James.

Would I use them on a son? - Definitely Louis, would like to use Harry (maybe as a nn for Harrison) and Edward. I love Liam, William, James, Niall & Zayn, but probably wouldn't use them unless my husband like, desperately wanted them, which I doubt would happen.

I've seen on other forums before, where people have actually listed Liam James, Harry Edward and Niall James/Louis William in a poll or thread before, and they were basically torn apart for it. I believe even one user was called 'sad' and 'pathetic', all because she liked One Direction's names.

If I love all 5 first names and 3 middle names, does that make me sad/pathetic? Should I be ashamed of liking all of them at the age of 18, or is using boyband member names as ideas for a future child a 15 and under thing to do?
    Last edited by lawsonhaley; November 29th, 2013 at 05:59 PM.

♂: Neville | Matthew | Ernest | Alfie | Louis | Christopher | Harry | James | Albert | Andrew

♀: Doris | Eleanor | Violet | Lillian | Florence | Martha | Minnie | Agatha | Freya |

Should you be ashamed? No.

People like what they like. If the only reason you like a band is because it's popular or the only reason you hate something is because it's popular (like Twilight), I would consider that lame. But liking names because you like the people or characters they remind you of is a seriously common thing. Over half the names on my list are references to favorite characters in books or movies. Not only that, but most of the names you listed are "good" names. I'm not super keen on Zayn, but Niall, Liam, James, Edward, etc. are totally normal, certainly not unheard-of names most of which actually happen to fit with the rest of your list.

Shaming people for liking things is one of my pet peeves. We all have our tastes, we all have our fandoms, and we all have things or people that we are inspired by. Hating on people for their preferences has always seemed petty and stupid to me.

As for whether it's wise to fly your fangirl flag and add all of the exact name combos of the One Direction members to your lists? That is a decision you should make based on how well you deal with criticism. Because regardless of whether we think all the hate should go die in a fire, people are going to be like that, and there's nothing we can do to change them. You are only in control of your own responses to their actions. So if you think it's going to hurt your feelings every time someone makes fun of you for being a clear fan of the 1D boys based on your naming preferences, than I would suggest not adding them to your lists until the band is no longer popular. If you think that you have a thick enough skin to just let the haters hate and not worry about it, than more power to you! Let your fandom ring! <3
    Zion Nathaniel ~ Solomon Fable ~ Balthazar Wolf ~ Malachi Sparrow nn Kai ~ Tobias Rowan ~ Endymion _____ nn Ender ~ Caspian _____
    Alice Willow ~ Ophelia Wren ~ Lucia Pearl ~ Eve Wisteria nn Evie ~ Cosima Rose ~ River _____

GPs
    Narnia Rose, Luna Seraphine, Astoria nn Story, Illyria, Serafina, Soraya, Faerydae
    Orion Melchior North, Tobias Loki, Edmund, Frost, Oberon, Kenshin, Remiel, Atreyu

No. You shouldn't be ashamed.

(Personally, I think that both the names Harry and Edward aren't too attractive to me. Especially as a fn/mn combo. Harry Edward. Blech.)
    Maryjane Elizabeth

A teenberry author with a healthy obsession of names!
    Casimir Ozias, Mordecai {searching for middle} - Sandrina Noor, Antigone Plum, Cosima Patricia, Desdemona?

Quote Originally Posted by sleepysessha View Post
    Should you be ashamed? No.

People like what they like. If the only reason you like a band is because it's popular or the only reason you hate something is because it's popular (like Twilight), I would consider that lame. But liking names because you like the people or characters they remind you of is a seriously common thing. Over half the names on my list are references to favorite characters in books or movies. Not only that, but most of the names you listed are "good" names. I'm not super keen on Zayn, but Niall, Liam, James, Edward, etc. are totally normal, certainly not unheard-of names most of which actually happen to fit with the rest of your list.

Shaming people for liking things is one of my pet peeves. We all have our tastes, we all have our fandoms, and we all have things or people that we are inspired by. Hating on people for their preferences has always seemed petty and stupid to me.

As for whether it's wise to fly your fangirl flag and add all of the exact name combos of the One Direction members to your lists? That is a decision you should make based on how well you deal with criticism. Because regardless of whether we think all the hate should go die in a fire, people are going to be like that, and there's nothing we can do to change them. You are only in control of your own responses to their actions. So if you think it's going to hurt your feelings every time someone makes fun of you for being a clear fan of the 1D boys based on your naming preferences, than I would suggest not adding them to your lists until the band is no longer popular. If you think that you have a thick enough skin to just let the haters hate and not worry about it, than more power to you! Let your fandom ring! <3
    I actually started liking them because, when they came out, I was going through a lot of self-confidence issues, and they had done a version of You Are So Beautiful on X Factor. When I heard it, I instantly felt better. Since then, I've grown attached (and I have to admit, they're gorgeous guys, haha Louis is my favourite). I think I'd put Harry Edward OR Louis William on my list, but not both. Maybe Harrison Edward would be better. I've always been bullied for liking different things from the kids I grew up with (Jonas Brothers when I was 11-12, High School Musical at 13, One Direction from 15 to now, it's nothing new for me), but I too hate it. What's wrong with me being 18 years old and supporting a band of guys who are around my age (actually, they're all older than I am)? The answer should be 'absolutely nothing', but sadly, it's not, LOL. C'est la vie though.

♂: Neville | Matthew | Ernest | Alfie | Louis | Christopher | Harry | James | Albert | Andrew

♀: Doris | Eleanor | Violet | Lillian | Florence | Martha | Minnie | Agatha | Freya |

Definitely no shame from me. I know what it's like to feel guilt for nothing.
    All of their names are very beautiful and normal names. I like both Harry and Louis (although I pronounce Louis), which are family names for me. With the exception of Zayn ( I prefer the other spelling Zane) all of these are classic names that have been around a long time.
    In terms of using them, (in the USA) William is #4 and Liam #5 which makes Liam a little popular for my taste, but I have a relative named Liam less than a year old.

Good Luck, and don't let other people rain on your parade!
    Aspiring Writer. Loves books.

Also inspired by television.

Current Favorite Letters are B, C, F, and G.