Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Your Beloved Stars of the Silver Screen

Hello Berries, everyone has their favourite actors and actresses of the cinema. Who are those "special" ones that hold special significance for you? Did your admiration for them make you like their names even more? Feel free to share your favourite screen stars and any reason why they held or still hold a special place in your heart. My faves are below (although I'm sure I forgot some of them). The ones that are long gone are still sincerely missed. All of them are "one-of-a-kind" that I fear we'll never see again.

Male Screen Stars

Sir Laurence Olivier - I love his polished British accent and the depth and scope of his Shakespearean roles. He's the main reason I love the name Laurence so much.

Cary Grant - my favourite comedic actor. His adopted stage name was more suitable for his image than the original Archibald Leach. Sometimes he was funny, other times he was quite goofy but whatever role he played, he always was the one I couldn't take my eyes off. He just looked so "likeable".

Peter OToole - one of the most beautiful men to ever grace the screen. He's piercing blues and blond hair against the desert sand in the film, Lawrence of Arabia, left such an unforgettable impression on me. I like the name Peter as well as that of Peter's real-life son, Lorcan O'Toole. How cool is that one?

Omar Sharif - Even though he was Egyptian, he WAS Dr. Zhivago. After all of these years, just hearing "Lara's Theme" still gives me shivers up my spine. Omar is one of my favourite Arabic/Muslim names and I lay the blaim with this exotic, gap-toothed actor. It's all his fault!

Sean Connery - the BEST James Bond (in my humble opinion). This suave man never lost his Scottish brogue. Although 007 was probably his most iconic role, my favourite role of his was in "The Man Who Would Be King". He was cool and confident. And it showed. I prefer his original name of Thomas (nn Tam) more than Sean.

Gary Cooper and Gregory Peck - I put these two actors together because for me they represent a certain image in my mind: the tough but good guy, the all-around American boy, men who lived by a code of conduct. Both were larger than life. I like the name Gregory more than Gary.

Montgomery Clift and James Dean - these two men had a lot in common. Both played angst-ridden characters very well and were tortured souls in real life. Both died tragically young. I often wonder what other magical performances they would have given the world if they had lived longer. Montgomery is kind of posh but James and Dean are fine names.

Sidney Poitier - a classy and noble man, a trailblazer for other actors of colour. I do like Sidney for a boy because he gives the name a certain panache.

Female Screen Stars

Greta Garbo, Ingrid Bergman and Liv Ullman - I was heavily into Scandinavian actresses when I was a child (and Swedish hockey players). Maybe it was the accents or their cool Nordic beauty. I love all of their first names.

Audrey Hepburn - no one looked like her, talked like her or dressed like her. My love for her grew when she devoted the last years of her life as a UNICEF ambassador helping others. She WAS a star and one classy lady in real-life. When I hear her name, it reminds me of her elegant beauty and her courage in the face of her death.

Simone Signoret - Born Henriette Charlotte Simone Kaminker, this French actress was the star of the films "A Ship of Fools" and "Room at the Top". I remember her cat eyes, full lips and Gallic accent were exotically mesmerizing. Simone was sultry and sassy. She was like an uncut diamond - a little rough around the edges but ever so precious. The name Simone suited her to perfection.

Romy Schneider - The Austrian actress was born Rosemarie Magdalena Albach into a family of actors. One of the most breathtakingly beautiful woman ever to grace the motion pictures, she sparkled. She was a radiant and luminour beauty in her portrayal of Empress Elizabeth of Austria and the "Sissi" trilogy. Her tragic death at 43 means that she will always remain "forever youthful". I find most Rose names quite appealing and Romy is one of my favourite nicknames. I owe the attraction to her!
    All the best,
    Mischa.

I have many favourites!

My all time favourite actress is Rachel McAdams. I think she's the most flawless, stunning, graceful, elegant, glamorous woman on the planet. I definitely have a girl crush on her. She's so believable in every role she plays, and you can tell she puts her heart into it. Its just effortless with her, not forced. She's so likeable and friendly looking. I just love every thing about her!

I think Jennifer Lawrence is also amazing, and I don't think she's at her peak yet. I can see her being a Hollywood legend in 40-50 years.

Other honourable mentions go to Lucille Ball, Bette Davis, Jennifer Anniston, Julie Walters and Maggie Smith.

My favourite actor is Ryan Gosling. He's just perfection personified for me. He seems like such a deep soul. I also love Sam Claflin, Jake Gyllenhall, Joshua Hutcherson, George Clooney, Ben Affleck, and Matthew Grey Gubler.

Mama to Amelie Clara (2008) & Daisy Madeline (2013).

Alice Tallulah, Polly Matilda, Rosalie Faye, Lucy Annabel, Maya Lillian, Hazel Kate, Eva Blossom, Juliet Lila, Ivy Camille.
    Charles Joshua "Charlie", Theodore Samuel "Teddy", Elliott Daniel, Noah Zachary, James Oscar, Arthur Philip, Rowan Isaac.

Mischa; I agree with all your choices. And I was so excited to see Liv Ullman on your list, she's one of my favourites and so underrated. She's so funny and a true beauty, she's still so gorgeous.

I'm a sucker for real actors. I don't like the "stars" as much. And I like the *real* ones, greys and lines and beautiful worn skin... they just makes movies feel more realistic.

Gary Oldman; long time love! He makes the best movies. I can't get into it because... too much. But he's incredible, truly terrific, wonderfully worn, grey, real and still shiny.

Alan Rickman; the voice, the voice! My kingdom for this voice. I love him, he's brilliant in a thousand ways.

Christopher Lee & Christopher Plummer; yes, I'm putting them together for three reasons: one) I'd dump my husband any day if I had a shot with one of these two (kidding! almost...?), two) they've got the fabulous Christopher name and three) wow, are they making men younger than 80 seem like little boys! And they're darn good actors too. I love everything I see with these two. They're magnetic.

Jeremy Irons; my first true movie love! I fell in love when I was little and my love has never wavered. He's just scrumptious! Such a fabulous actor. Daring, emotional, captivating.

Viggo Mortensen; J'adore!!!!!!! He's terrific. I usually feel weird using the word artist about actors, but man, he's an artist. A remarkably fine actor. And I'll stop there... or this might get weird.

Mads Mikkelsen; another uniquely gifted and brilliant actor, and one that's shamefully overlooked outside of Europe, or maybe even Scandinavia. He's so haunting, daring and funny. I never laugh as hard as when I see Adam's Æbler.

Daniel Day-Lewis; shape shifter and weirdo. He's gifted. I don't really love his movies, but I watch them because he fascinates and thrills me.

Robert Downey Jr & Jude Law; Breaking my own rule. Movie stars. Well, Jude's an actor first, he's just blessed with perfection. I love these two together - so adorable! Robert is crazy which I love, he's hilarious and wild. Jude's lovely. I think he's a very overlooked actor to, I think he's really good but his looks and personal life might have gotten a bit in the way of things...

Kate Winslet; I've seen all her movies and she's not let me down yet. A terrific actress, and so beautiful and admirable. She's the most enchanting woman I can think of.

Cate Blanchett; and Cate too. She's wonderful, and so much fun. She's got that real twinkle.

Emma Thompson; Oh, Emma! Real, beautiful, moving Emma. That scene in Love Actually when she realises her husband is having an affair... heart breaking. She's wonderful.

Helena Bonham Carter; sometimes she goes to far to the weird, but I love her always. I enjoy her most when she pulls back a little though, she was utterly delightful in King's Speech, without all the crazy. The craziness sometimes comes between her and the acting, it's harder to recognise it. But in KS she was all natural and good. So so so good. The academy should be ashamed not awarding that performance with a golden nude dude.

Julie Christie; when I was little, I wanted to be Julie Christie in Darling. Then yeeeears later I saw Away From Her, and I remembered her brilliance. Julie Christie's classy and shiny like a diamond.

Glenn Close & Meryl Streep & Julianne Moore; I don't have anything to say except that they're all perfect. I love these three.

Vivien Leigh; frail, funny, sweet, strong, beautiful, smart and troubled. Vivien Leigh was amazing and captivating, she's (in my opinion) one of the best actors that's ever been. Remarkable. I've always felt connected to her, and when I was diagnosed with bipolar disorder I felt it even stronger...

Elizabeth Taylor: okay, a full blown star. I've been madly in love with Liz since I was very little and saw Giant. She's magical, with those eyes, that hair and her (unhealthy) love affairs with jewellery and dashing mr Richard Burton.

Rita Hayworth; just beautiful. And Gilda's a big love of mine. She was perfect.
    [FONT=Palatino Linotype][CENTER]My darling Marian Illyria Aphrodite, March 2013 & Little Bunny (a girl!) due 9th of February 2014[/CENTER][/FONT]

Ottilie- Emma Thompson in Sense and Sensibility when she tells Marianne she's not the only one who has suffered. Beautiful!

Kate Winslet- love her to pieces
    Maggie Smith
    Vivien Leigh- Gone With the Wind is on TV right now. Reminded once again.
    Ewan McGregor
    Bette Middler

Oh there's a lot, but I'm leaving the house right now.... I'll be back.
    My Zoe ... My life
    9/12/14

I think it's kind of funny Mischa started off naming legendary stars such as Cary Grant and Laurence Olivier and then the next person chimed in with Jennifer Lawrence and Rachel McAdams lol.

Audrey Hepburn - Absolutely top of my list. I adore her and every film she's ever been in. She's so beautiful and perfect and I love her voice. Even when she's supposedly American (in Breakfast At Tiffany's) she's still so elegantly European!

Gwyneth Paltrow - I know a lot of people find her annoying, but I don't understand why. I think she's gorgeous and I love her as an actress.

Meg Ryan - Classic romantic comedy star. Not exactly known for her dramatic acting qualities, but she makes me happy! I think she's so funny. My favourite films of hers are French Kiss and When Harry Met Sally.

Colin Firth - Pretty much just because he's Mr Darcy! But I do love Mr Firth in everything else. He's just so damn sexy!

Jack Nicholson - A more modern classic star. He's just awesome. Mr Cool.

Alan Rickman - I'm with you, Ottilie. That voice! "I'm going to count to three. There will not be a four." Okay, maybe Die Hard isn't his greatest film, but that's probably my favourite quote of his lol.

I'm sure I've forgotten some favourites. I'll get back to you if I think of any more!
    Audrey - Beatrice - Clara - Daphne - Flora - Jane - Mabel - Susannah

Arthur - Barnaby - Edward - Frederick - Henry - Rupert - Theodore - Walter