Names Searched Right Now:

Situs Inversus... anyone??

Our doctor rang earlier today to say that he'd been looking at the results and pictures from our last scan and he said he's 99% sure that twin B (Frederick) has situs inversus. He explained that basically, this means his internal organs are all on the opposite sides to normal. Now whilst this came as a bit of a shock, he reassured us that since the baby had situs inversus with dextrocardia (his heart is also on the opposite side), it shouldn't cause him any problems later. He also said that since there is no previous history of this condition in our family, it has probably occurred here because our boys are identical mirror twins.

I think I'm mostly over the initial shock, and I'm very relieved that it shouldn't cause any long-term problems, but I was wondering...

Does anyone know anything about situs inversus,
    or mirror twins for that matter?
    Mummy to two little princes born 16/1/14
    A: Arthur Florian Edward Wright
    B: Frederick "Freddie" Robin Jude Wright

Alasdair † Conan † Gregor † Henry † Hugo † Jasper † Lionel † Phineas † Reuben † Sebastian † Zachary*
    Lyra ‡ Florence ‡ Hermione ‡ Eleanor ‡ Isla ‡ Martha ‡ Emelia ‡ Julia ‡ Helena ‡ Eliza ‡ Iris*

*See my whole lists here: Boys, Girls

I'm currently in school for radiologic technology, and I see this in my patients from time to time. It really isn't as uncommon as one might think. As long all the organs are there and functioning, there should not be any complications.
    19 year old name lover
    Currently obsessed with Charlotte Eve & Jude Oliver
    United States

My cousins are Identical Mirror Image twins. And they are in their 50s and grandmothers now.
    From my understanding, as long as Everything is mirrored, then everything should be in complete working order. I think Frederick will be just fine. It's great that you know now though... in case anything comes up in the future.

Good luck!
    Mom to:
    Weston Christopher, July 2008
    Keegan Nathaniel,
    Dec. 12, 2013
    Sebastian Miller,
    Dec. 12, 2013

Current loves:
    ~ Emerson ~ Eden ~ Rosalind ~ Caroline ~ Matilda ~ Gemma ~

~ Landon ~ Kellan ~ Asher ~ Griffin ~ Archer ~ Edison ~ Holden ~ Harrison ~ Elliot ~

@jennifer94 - That's reassuring. Thankyou for your help. Doctor said there would be complications if his heart wasn't also mirrored, but it seems as though it is - so there shouldn't be. I've been researching, and it seems like it isn't as strange sounding as I first though it was!

@grecianern - Thankyou! Yes, I am glad that I know. Hopefully everything will be fine. It also seems as though you have more twins in the family!
    Mummy to two little princes born 16/1/14
    A: Arthur Florian Edward Wright
    B: Frederick "Freddie" Robin Jude Wright

Alasdair † Conan † Gregor † Henry † Hugo † Jasper † Lionel † Phineas † Reuben † Sebastian † Zachary*
    Lyra ‡ Florence ‡ Hermione ‡ Eleanor ‡ Isla ‡ Martha ‡ Emelia ‡ Julia ‡ Helena ‡ Eliza ‡ Iris*

*See my whole lists here: Boys, Girls