Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Your Baby Girl Turns 50? Names that Span a Lifetime

I love to play with names. However, I am past my childbearing years so I am blissfully free to contemplate Cadwallader, groove on Gertrude, and favor Forsythia without any naming danger to real children.

But for those lucky folks who are actually pregnant or will become so, the name game includes a crucial requirement: finding a name which will take your girl from the cradle to old age.

Folks always talk about the "Supreme Court" test - whether the name they contemplate would work on a Supreme Court judge - but I think so few of us (male or female) will actually hold that position that we just need to find names that work well at all of life's different stages: babyhood, childhood, adolescence, 20-30 somethings, middle-age, old age.

Anyway, I have been thinking that if I were expecting now that I would do an age analysis of any names about which I felt serious. Anyone who wants to share theirs, it would be fun to hear.

I find most of the names I would actually name a girl work at any age. For example, Geneva, Cordelia, or Jemima. While some hate these names, the nicknames offer variety: Ginnie, Gen, Neva --- Cora, Delia, De, or even the loathed Cory or Cordy --- Jem, Mima, Mamie, Jemma/Gemma, Jewel.

Others -- my fantasy names or future animal names - do not fare so well with the decade test. Forsythia for example. Unless she lived in England, I think Forsythia might have a hard time. The name is bigger than a baby or even a little girl unless she went by Flossie which I adore, but probably reminds most Americans of dental floss. Hygienic, but not usually honored with a nickname.

Forsythia might fly for a teen, though in Northern California where I live, Azalea would fare better as more people know the latter shrub. If she were a four syllable girl who loved to read and garden, cool, but if she were more rough and tumble she would want a nickname/name to reflect it. Not sure what her first name could offer her there.

And as she entered her career and the majority of her life, how would Forsythia fare? She might be fine with her name or bemoan being named for an English winter shrub. She might long to have been named Debbie or Karen or some other name I can't stand. She might come into her name only in her dotage (as many people look straight through older people regardless of their names).

Or she might just be grateful she wasn't named Bloodrayne or Persephone (now there are some presidential classics!)
    Last edited by lesliemarion; November 25th, 2013 at 11:53 PM.

The adult name

matters most.

A baby girl can grow into Margot fine.

I agree that adulthood is the most important stage of life to name for as the hypothetical or literal children we name will spend most of their lives as adults. Having said that there are certain names that despite finding them utterly darling I simply cannot rationalize giving to a human yet still others which might fit into the category of too cutesy or bizarre which I feel more comfortable with because they are more established.

Take Ruby and Poppy for instance. One is a lovely red gemstone and the other is a lovely often red flower. Each has two syllables ending in y and yet I would sooner say that poppy is a name that doesn't age well vs. ruby, a name I'm more familiar with.

Interesting topic!

Honestly, I can't stand the whole ''Can you imagine a 43 year old lawyer named Poppy?'' questions people seem to jump on constantly unless said name is an Western orthodox classic (especially poor Poppy who seems to bear the brunt of it despite being massively popular in the UK).

Names grow with people. I know a gorgeous, successful woman in her 30s named Domino - unusual, 'silly' even, but I've never once thought her name is too babyish for her. I know women called Lola, Pixie, Flossie, Asia, Pippa and Scout in the same situation. They 'pull off' their names perfectly well (although I hate that phrase - I sort of scoff when people talk about people being able to 'pull off' their names, because people ALWAYS pull off their names by the nature of having them)

The ''Supreme Court'' or career test is another story I do not wish to go into.
    close to my heart / future darlings
    Rufus - Emmett - Hugh - Amadeus - Wilfrid - Eoghan - Alec
    Estella - Una - Jemima - Eilidh - Lettice - Billie - Raphaela

olivia; ''somewhat of an enigma'' and finally seventeen. (http://bigsistercomplex.tumblr.com/)

Yes, yes I can picture _____ on someone that is an attorney, the President, a doctor, a mayor, a banker, a dentist. I have heard all types of names on people in these fields and every other field. Yes, I can picture a grandma and grandpa ________. A name does not make a person. Elizabeth and Alexander can be attorneys, artists, stay at home parents, a manager at McDonalds, trash collectors, librarians, work construction, teachers, bankers, scuba instructors, chemists, (even people that commit crime and end up in prison).

Besides the point, who says any of us would want these careers (President, Prime Minister, lawyer, doctor, supreme judge) or wish them on our children? There are endless amounts of careers and jobs out there.
    Last edited by lovemysweeties; November 26th, 2013 at 08:25 AM.
    Maebry Eloise o Avia Juniper o Indie Rose Clementine
    Piers Lachlan o Roan August o Gray Everett
    -------------- o -------------- o ---------------

heart my son