Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Choose your new best friends' names

I have the naming misfortune of being born in the early 60's and growing up with girls named Debbie, Lynn, Susan, Melissa, Missy, Cindy, Paula, Suzie, Tina, Laurie, Kelly, and Heidi. I mean no offense when I say that to me this era was a vast wasteland of names.

I work with varying ages of women but a super-abundance of them are named Linda, Carol, Mary, Janet, Jenny, Danielle, Kathy, Nancy, Patty, and JoAnne.

I love my friends deeply, but they all have names of this era/type.

Even my relatives too.

So I do have this fantasy of meeting a bunch of new to me people who are named lovely names.

Here is my fantasy friend list. Do you have one and if so, please share!

My Top Seven:

1) A flowery name such as Azalea, Forsythia, Gardenia, Zinnia, or Marigold
    2) A grande dame name such as Agatha, Leonora, Theodora, Lavinia, or Tallulah
    3) A merry, cheery name like Polly, Mamie, Birdie, Bonnie, or Dolly
    4) A wild-sounding name like Ghislaine, Zephirine, Zamora, Xanthe, or Zoe
    5) An old-fahioned and nostalgic name like Mabel, Anne, Flora, Dorothy, or Marian
    6) An Anglophile's dream name like Harriet, Jemima, Faustina, Ianthe, or Primrose
    7) Eluned! I want a friend named Eluned. Maybe I should advertise?
    Last edited by lesliemarion; November 24th, 2013 at 04:31 PM.

I have always like the name

Liam as well as Declan and other Irish names.

Personally, I prefer many of the names you grew up with to the names you listed. Yes, they were popular, but in about 40 years, someone will be posting this very thing with her friends' names being Emma, Ella, Isabel, and Charlotte. I like names like Susan and Melissa (though I'd never personally use them myself) while names like Agatha, Birdie, and Tallulah come across harsh and unattractive to me (and very old-ladyish).

So, if I was choosing names for my best friends, they would be more in-line with the names your best friends had. LOL. My best friends throughout school were Jennifers, Heathers, Emilys, and Robins.

A few decades make a big difference!

Quote Originally Posted by gabriela View Post
    Personally, I prefer many of the names you grew up with to the names you listed. Yes, they were popular, but in about 40 years, someone will be posting this very thing with her friends' names being Emma, Ella, Isabel, and Charlotte. I like names like Susan and Melissa (though I'd never personally use them myself) while names like Agatha, Birdie, and Tallulah come across harsh and unattractive to me (and very old-ladyish).

So, if I was choosing names for my best friends, they would be more in-line with the names your best friends had. LOL. My best friends throughout school were Jennifers, Heathers, Emilys, and Robins.
    I probably was born too late and in the wrong country -- or maybe just in the wrong country. I love the names they use in England and Scotland etc.

Funny too in that I don't like Emma, Ella, Isabel, or Charlotte either b/c I teach too many of them...

From your list I love:

Gardenia
    Marigold
    Agatha
    Polly
    Birdie
    Bonnie
    Dolly
    Harriet
    Jemima
    Primrose

My fantasy friend names list would include this bohemian lot:

India Rose
    Saffron
    Evan (female)
    Robert (female)
    York (female)
    Violette
    Hortense
    Maxence (female)
    Sunrise
    Antiquity
    Dandelion
    Minx
    Binx
    Lynx
    Perpetua
    Sienna
    Halifax (female)
    Beauty
    Evergreen
    Wintergreen
    Bleu Belle
    Ruby Skye
    Eglantine
    Wisteria
    Persimmon

And last but not least, Viggo Mortensen!!

PS That was fun
    Last edited by oceansunrise; November 25th, 2013 at 01:46 AM.
    Ulysses/ Godiva

Seabrook | Lyon | Falcon | Lucius Artorius | Bardyllis | Chivalry | Whiskey | Varro | Auberon | Sovereign

Winter Rose | Emerald | Autumn Grace | Hazel | Maebry | Ulyssia | Pandora Rose | Alaska | Summer Eve | Charlett | Ivy | Asfodelle | Marquesa | Titania | India Ruby | Ulissa | Isabeau | Liberty | Vivaldi | Ferelith | Juniper | Violet | Odette Leda Snow | Utopia | Hero | Hermione