Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Short on Girls!

Short on Girls!

Hi Berries,

We have a list of boys' names we love. We're so pleased with the names on our boys' list, we have no idea how we'll ever choose just one. But we have only a few girls' names we really like. We'd like to put a few more on the list and maybe find something to commit to (with most of our girls' names, we have very short flings). Please help! We aren't really bold namers like some here; we tend toward somewhat more traditional names, though with some notable exceptions. I feel like I've looked at every name in existence at this point, but sometimes having someone else make the suggestion can make a difference.

I tend to really dislike girls' names that begin with G. I really prefer names whose formal version would well-fit a president or a Supreme Court justice and which lend themselves to nn that will sound good over the loudspeakers at sporting events. Most names that end with an "er" sound or an "s" will not work well with our last name. We would prefer names that are compatible with mn Ruth. We live in the Midwest and would like to avoid names that are popular in this region, especially. We're not nature-y people at all; our idea of nature is the trees that line a park with tennis courts and sidewalks.

While there are no guarantees about the sort of child one will have, we're expecting a daughter who will be bright and precocious, funny, athletic, and quite the handful. She'll almost certainly have brown hair and wide eyes (brown or blue, most likely).

For guidance:

Here are names we really like that are on our list already:

Maeve
    Beatrice
    Matilda
    Arabella
    Eleanor

Some names that cycle on and off the list:

Ariella
    Catherine
    Eloise
    Estella

Names that have been on the list but we're *pretty sure* we've removed permanently:

Arielle
    Arianna
    Nora
    Sadie
    Marina
    Portia
    Sabina
    Enid
    Persephone

Some names we really like but are too popular (both generally and around here) for our comfort:

Abigail
    Hannah
    Amelia
    Elizabeth
    Charlotte

Anyone who has actually read all this and reached the bottom, thank you! I'm looking forward to suggestions, both fresh and freshly considered!
    #1 on the way!
    Why yes, I probably should be working!

Benjamin * Sebastian * Ezra * Edmund * Henry * Hugo * Cormac * Andrew * Winston * Levi * Zev * Theodore

Arabella * Aviva * Ariella * Maeve * Matilda * Eleanor * Catherine * Charlotte * Beatrice

I can understand why you're having problems, I am too. I think it has to do with the fact that I spend more time and effort on my boy's names and girls just seem to be an afterthought. Anyhow, here are my fresh suggestions!
    Avelyn "Ava/Avie"
    Georgina "Gia/Gina"
    Fiona "Fia"
    Edith "Edie"
    Elaine "Ella"
    Leonore "Leah"
    Evelyn "Eva/Evie"

I fancy these: Twila Posey, Odette Francesca, Orlaith Glimmer, Fianna Ruby, Indie Nell

Ouen Amos, Cillian Ambrose, Oswin Maverick, Casimir Orlando, Oscar Phineas  

Quote Originally Posted by oiseau View Post
    I can understand why you're having problems, I am too. I think it has to do with the fact that I spend more time and effort on my boy's names and girls just seem to be an afterthought. Anyhow, here are my fresh suggestions!
    Avelyn "Ava/Avie"
    Georgina "Gia/Gina"
    Fiona "Fia"
    Edith "Edie"
    Elaine "Ella"
    Leonore "Leah"
    Evelyn "Eva/Evie"
    Thanks, Oiseau! Evelyn is a name we've kicked around from time to time, never quite liking it enough to put it on the list, but I'm going to put it on our re-consideration list now! Husband doesn't want anything with root Avi because he hates birds; it's practically a phobia. I knew a Georgina growing up, and she was the most odious girl alive. We have living relatives named Edith and Elaine. I can't here Fiona without thinking Apple. Leonore is a name we like; it has a sound similar to Eleanor. We always end up saying that for a similar sound, we'd rather have the history and prestige of Eleanor. But I hadn't really thought of nn Leah before, so I'll put that on our consideration list as well!

Thank you so much.

Any other ideas anyone?
    #1 on the way!
    Why yes, I probably should be working!

Benjamin * Sebastian * Ezra * Edmund * Henry * Hugo * Cormac * Andrew * Winston * Levi * Zev * Theodore

Arabella * Aviva * Ariella * Maeve * Matilda * Eleanor * Catherine * Charlotte * Beatrice

Expecting #1 June 2015
    My Teddy Bear (aka my puppy): Rufus (4-24-13)
    Maeve-Keira-Gwen-Freya-Anna-Eve-Adeline-Claire-Arianne-Lila-Elsa-Cosima-Elowen-Lena-Anya-Faye-Corinne-Piper-Violet-Cleo-Nina-Zara

Rhys-Cillian-Ronan-Declan-Griffin-Finn-Sean-Owen-Miles-Lorcan-Graham-Kai-Jack-Ian-Cullen-Emmett-Lucas-Cormac-Archer-George-Alexander

GP: Perseus-Hamish-Mason-Shep-Cassian-Asa-Lavender-Elula-Winter-Mireille-Ophelie-Azalea

...if my husbands has no vote, then....
    Endora & Lorelei / Dexter & Gideon
    ...we are newlyweds and not trying...yet...