Names Searched Right Now:

View Poll Results: Bellatrix or Ginevra?

Voters
53. You may not vote on this poll
  • Bellatrix (nn Bea)

15 28.30%
  • Ginevra (nn Ginny)

38 71.70%
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Two names, one decision - Ginevra or Bellatrix?

I am a hopeless namer, and I'm really fretting now. Bellatrix, as I've said before is my husband's favourite, Ginevra is mine, although we like both.

Bellatrix (nn Bea) - I like this because of the star association, the nn and strangely enough because of Bellatrix's character in HP. To me, she's strong and determined and I like that, and the meaning of female warrior. She might have been a bit crazy, but I actually loved her character and Helena Bonham-Carter.

Ginevra (nn Ginny) - I love Ginny's character, the vintage feel to the name and that it's not too popular. It symbolises strength, love and loyalty to me through her character and I love the nn.

Please vote, and suggest middle names, any from my signature really or any other HP associated ones you think might go. I really will try to make this my last post before she's born!
    ♥little baby girl born 24/11/13♥
    Awaiting name!

Favourite names
    ♀ - Ginevra, Bellatrix, Hermione, Luna, Andromeda, Lily, Fleur, Rowen, Juniper, Sienna, Aoife, Elowen, Amelie, Georgiana, Lavinia
    ♂ - Jude, Otto, Arthur, Lysander, Noah, Henry, Elijah, Theo/Theodore, George

Ginevra, definitely. As much as I also enjoyed Helena Bonham-Carter's performance, Bellatrix may be TOO attached to the film.

When I think of Bellatrix, I see: most prominently a crazy-eyed woman with tons of black curls screaming, "I killed Sirius Black! I killed Sirius Black!", but once I get past that, I see a starry sky in July- warmth and wonder and the occasional firefly.

When I think of Ginevra, I see: well, I see two things. Firstly, I think of a little red-haired girl in a forest- all greens and browns and reds, freckles and a little button nose that's pink from autumn winds. I also see a stately but quirky older woman in a large Victorian home, with jewels around her neck and on all ten fingers.

Hope this helps!
    | Arabella Monet | Henrietta Plum | Isolde Noor | Agatha Ruby | Marian Primrose |
    | Emma Berlin | Cressida Lilac | Jessamine Lark | Vivienne Snow | Ireland Eve |

Bellatrix is even worse in the books than in the movies in my opinion. Trying to set aside my strong feeling that it would be horrific to name a child after a callous murderer. I like Ginny because it feels fresher to me.
    Mom to... Augustine Mark "Augie", India Marie "Indie", Theodore Odell "Teddy" and Philippa Lee "Pippa"

Of the two I definitely prefer Ginevra (nn Ginny).

If you don't mind the double 'a' sound I love Ginevra Luna.

Otherwise, Ginevra Lily.
    Victor | Ephraim | Phineas | Alfred | Rupert

Trudy | Marceline | Ramona | Cicely | Winifred

Just when I start leading towards a name, more people prefer the other choice. I think I like Bellatrix because of the nn too, and even though I've grown up with Harry Potter, I can get past the negativity.

I do love Ginevra, and Ginny, but is there any alternative nicknames?
    ♥little baby girl born 24/11/13♥
    Awaiting name!

Favourite names
    ♀ - Ginevra, Bellatrix, Hermione, Luna, Andromeda, Lily, Fleur, Rowen, Juniper, Sienna, Aoife, Elowen, Amelie, Georgiana, Lavinia
    ♂ - Jude, Otto, Arthur, Lysander, Noah, Henry, Elijah, Theo/Theodore, George