Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Lightbulb Girls' names that intrigue me. Your thoughts?

Agatha | Apollonia | Cornelia | Guinevere | Henrietta | Josephine | Lavinia | Minerva | Parthenia | Thomasina | Winifred

V i n t a g e | C h a r m

Archibald | Augustus | Barnabas | Bartholomew | Cornelius | Ebenezer | Hezekiah | Ignatius | Leonidas | Sylvester | Tiberius

A - Abyssinia - Starts with Abyss? Pass.
    Alphonsine - NMS
    Apollonia - This makes me think of horses (which terrify me).. Appaloosa? I don't like it.
    Arrietty - I'm not crazy about it. I think of the Movie 'The Secret World of Arrietty'.

B - Bathsheba - Not sure why but I want to say "TAKE A BATH, SHEBA!"
    Benedicta - This is much too masculine for my taste.
    Buttercup - This I like, but it is a bit cheesy. I think of the Princess Bride.

C - Cassiopeia - I prefer Cassandra (I mean, it's most likely going to be shortened to Cassie anyway).
    Clarity - I don't hate this, but I think I prefer just Claire.
    Corliss - I prefer Coral.
    Cornelia - I love Cornelia. It was on our MN list for our first daughter.
    Cressida - Pretty & underused.

E - Eglantine - No, not a fan of the Egg sound.
    Esmeralda - Love this! Wonderful.

F - Fig - I prefer almost any other fruit/tree/herb name. Fig to me seems just silly.
    Forsythia - This is interesting, very strong sounding.

H - Hephzibah - I like the Zib part, but the full name is so Old Testament.
    Hortense - NO. Sounds like Whore Tents.

I - Iphigenia - This is kind of cool, I like the -genia part best, I think I prefer Eugenia.

L - Ludmila - I'm definitely not a fan. I am picturing Ludo from Labyrinth.

M - Mariposa - I just think of the clothing store (they used to be everywhere here, they sold very cheap tacky clubware type clothes)
    Minerva - I'm down with Minerva.

P - Parthenia - NMS
    Primavera - No good, I think of Pasta Primavera.

R - Rhapsody - WHAT? No. Definitely not.
    Rosalba - There are so many Rose names, there's no need for this.

S - Serendipity - Seren is cute. Serendipity is silly.

T - Thomasina - NMS. It seems like you're trying REALLY hard to 'take back' traditional boys' names.

V - Verbena - I do like this.

Z - Zephyrine - Zephyr is a cool word, but this name isn't working for me.
    Zoraida - I prefer Zora. This looks made up.
    New username is @ truenature

Replying with the ones I can be positive about:

A -
    Apollonia - the most usable. And Polly is cute as a NN.

C -
    Clarity - Sweet, light, appealing. I like all of the -ity virtue names, Felicity/Amity/Verity/Liberty. I must admit I prefer Clare or Claire though.
    Cornelia - Crusty, clunky, and somehow still appealing. I think of it as a very strong name. Like Augusta, I picture it on a beautiful older woman with gray hair and a spine of steel. You wouldn't a Cornelia around.
    Cressida - British eccentric, kind of cool.

E -
    Esmeralda - a long-term love of mine, I can't be objective. Yes, it's odd and eccentric, but I love it.

H -
    Hephzibah - I like Biblical clunk. I do slightly prefer the variation with a hard p rather than a ph - Hepzibah. Yes, I'll put my hand up as the person who likes Hephzibah. (But I love Keziah, Ruchama, and other clunky Biblical obscurities more)

I - Iphigenia
    I like it but I'd never really use it. I find it even more unwieldy than Immanuela or Imogenia or Iolanthe.

M -
    Mariposa - I heart this one. I must admit it's on my own list. I love that it means butterfly, and I love Mari and Posy as nickname options.
    Minerva - I adore this one too. It's on my own list.

R -
    Rhapsody - I don't hate it, but I love Madrigal more, for a similar musical meaning.
    Rosalba - I think this is one of the middling-pretty Rose names. I rank Rosemary, Rosemarie, and Rosamund above it, and Rosalie, Rosabel, and Roseanna below it.

T -
    Thomasina - Not bad, but a little frilly. I Thomasin/Tamasin/Tamsin I think, which are also feminizations of Thomasina.

Z -
    Zephyrine - I adore this. There's an antique rose variety called Zephirine Drouhin, and that's where I fell in love with the name, it's a romantic, old-fashioned, heavily scented rose. I like the mythological connotation too. A winner.

Quote Originally Posted by katieydenberg View Post
    A - Abyssinia - Starts with Abyss? Pass.

B - Bathsheba - Not sure why but I want to say "TAKE A BATH, SHEBA!"

E - Eglantine - No, not a fan of the Egg sound.

H - Hortense - NO. Sounds like Whore Tents.

P - Primavera - No good, I think of Pasta Primavera.

R - Rhapsody - WHAT? No. Definitely not.
    Rosalba - There are so many Rose names, there's no need for this.

T - Thomasina - NMS. It seems like you're trying REALLY hard to 'take back' traditional boys' names.
    Katie, I love that you have strong opinions about names and aren't afraid to express them. The way you go about it is no less than entertaining. These particular responses made me laugh.
    Agatha | Apollonia | Cornelia | Guinevere | Henrietta | Josephine | Lavinia | Minerva | Parthenia | Thomasina | Winifred

Archibald | Augustus | Barnabas | Bartholomew | Cornelius | Ebenezer | Hezekiah | Ignatius | Leonidas | Sylvester | Tiberius

Quote Originally Posted by stripedsocks View Post
    C - Cornelia - Crusty, clunky, and somehow still appealing. I think of it as a very strong name. You wouldn't (push) a Cornelia around.

E - Esmeralda - a long-term love of mine, I can't be objective. Yes, it's odd and eccentric, but I love it.

H - Hephzibah - I like Biblical clunk. Yes, I'll put my hand up as the person who likes Hephzibah.

I - Iphigenia - I find it even more unwieldy than Immanuela or Imogenia or Iolanthe.

M - Mariposa - I heart this one. I must admit it's on my own list.
    Minerva - I adore this one too. It's on my own list.

T - Thomasina - Not bad, but a little frilly.

Z - Zephyrine - I adore this. There's an antique rose variety called Zephirine Drouhin, and that's where I fell in love with the name, it's a romantic, old-fashioned, heavily scented rose. I like the mythological connotation too. A winner.
    Striped Socks, who on Nameberry wouldn't love you? You're the next best thing to discussing names with a best friend or a sister. Crusty ... clunky ... odd ... eccentric ... unwieldy. You've just described my ideal set of names.