Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Girls Names That Make You Think of Winter? :-)

My mind works in odd ways, but I like to classify names by what season they make me think of (ie; Florence makes me think of flowers blossoming in the spring, but Adeline makes me think of running through a meadow with a summery breeze blowing on you.), and right now, I'm looking towards my winter girls :-) For me, winter names are ones like;

Arianwen
    Ceridwen
    Mabel
    Philippa
    Geneva
    Beatrice
    Josephine
    Madeleine
    Primrose
    Penelope
    Aurelia
    Eugenia
    Euphemia
    Eleanor
    Bronwen
    Lucinda
    Agnes

etc, etc, etc.

These names make me think of ice skating, snow falling, sipping hot chocolate, decorating a Christmas tree, and wrapping Christmas presents.

Which names make you think of those things?

*I have posted this question on a few different forums to see what answers come back, I'm very intrigued by this.
    "While some of the brightest of our celestial bodies are actually extinct now, their energy long since cooled; miraculously, because they float in the heavens so far away from us now, their beautiful light will continue to shine on us forever, and the glow will be so bright, it'll warm your heart, it'll make your eyes glisten, and it'll make you think to yourselves; what a concept"

Nora/Norah gives me the impression of curling up by a fireplace with a mug of hot chocolate for some reason. Also, I think of snow when I think of Blythe.

Current loves:
    thomasina louise, percival hugh

. ∙ ˙ . ∙ ˙  ✶  . ∙ ˙ . ∙ ˙

♥  ❝Words have meaning and names have power.❞

Eudora - Casilda - Violetta - Odelia - Leocadia - Odette - Isolde - Valentine - Leopoldine - Isadora
    Eulalia - Aurelia - Marigold - Ariadne - Viola - Cosima - Philomena
    Averil - Caius - Casimir - Basil - Ignatius - Benedict - Thaddeus - Raphael - Leopold - Clement
    Cassian - Isidore - Wenceslaus - Balthasar - Arlo - Gilbert - Cornelius - Augustine - Carlisle

Quote Originally Posted by lawsonhaley View Post
    My mind works in odd ways, but I like to classify names by what season they make me think of (ie; Florence makes me think of flowers blossoming in the spring, but Adeline makes me think of running through a meadow with a summery breeze blowing on you.), and right now, I'm looking towards my winter girls :-) For me, winter names are ones like;

Arianwen
    Ceridwen
    Mabel
    Philippa
    Geneva
    Beatrice
    Josephine
    Madeleine
    Primrose
    Penelope
    Aurelia
    Eugenia
    Euphemia
    Eleanor
    Bronwen
    Lucinda
    Agnes

etc, etc, etc.

These names make me think of ice skating, snow falling, sipping hot chocolate, decorating a Christmas tree, and wrapping Christmas presents.

Which names make you think of those things?

*I have posted this question on a few different forums to see what answers come back, I'm very intrigued by this.
    Another name which makes me think of winter is Isolde!! You should consider adding this name. The name literally means 'ice ruler' she's so wickedly glamorous and intriguing.

My thoughts on your names...
    Arianwen - I like this name she's pretty and reminds me of Wales and the beautiful Mount. Snowdon. It's a Welsh classic that does feel very christmassy and looks lovely. I also like Ariadne which is similar.

Ceridwen - Another Welsh classic. I think Welsh classics automatically feel very winter inspired. Conjuring up images of Christmas, ice-skating, snow, hot chocolate, and wrapping Christmas presents. It's just very sweet. I love the potential nickname Ceri for Ceridwen. It's very sweet. I prefer it too Arianwen.

Mabel - For me this name doesn't feel very winter inspired. Mabel is actually the total opposite for me. Mabel feels very southern belle. Reminds me of beautiful ranch in the middle of rural Southern states of America, bright sunshine, and horse riding. Mabel feels like she should belong to a blonde girl whose very southern - a southern belle - it's doesn't conjure up that image.

Philippa - I've never liked this name. For me it's unattractive. I do like the nickname Pippa though. Also she doesn't really conjure up any images for me. I don't understand how this name makes you think of winter. I don't really think of anything to be perfectly honest.

Geneva - Lovely choice. Geneva has a great sound, feels really soft but still feels spirited. She's sweet and effortless. Furthermore Geneva touches the place name trend but in a quiet way which makes it more appealing. This name does feel very wintry and dramatic. It's lovely and I love the Evie nickname.

Beatrice - This name again feel very wintry and dramatic. Similarly like with Geneva. For me Beatrice and Geneva aren't a friendly winter they don't conjure up images of Christmas trees and presents under the tree. Instead Beatrice and Geneva remind me of frozen landscapes, elegant ice skaters, log fires, and crisp winter air.

Josephine - For me Josephine is a gorgeous choice but she doesn't conjure up images of winter. Josephine feels more autumnal, she doesn't feel wintry. Josephine is a lovely name!

Madeleine - A lovely name but to be honest Madeleine feels fresh and spring like. Madeleine is a great name, I adore the French vibe of this choice and how the name feels very chic. But she feels open, spirited and fresh like a new beginning thus conjuring images of Spring. She has a beat in her step caused by the Maddie nickname.

Primrose - I understand why this name conjures images of winter but due to her name meaning 'first rose' I automatically think of spring time. The flowers blooming and opening. Your escaping harshness of winter and the cold bite of the air and welcoming a fresher times ahead full of new beginnings and nature blooming.

Penelope - Lovely name but I really don't believe that this name is seasonally attached to any form of weather or season. For me Penelope conjures up images of mythology, Greece and the sea but not seasons. So I don't see the wintry appeal.

Aurelia - Again I really don't find this name very wintry. For me Aurelia feels fresh and golden. She reminds me of bright sunshine - a burning sun - heat, ice cream, warm beaches, and a bright blue ocean. Aurelia feels exotic like she's bathed in permanent sun, always exposed to heat. She's the opposite of wintry in my mind especially as her meaning is 'golden'.

Eugenia - Not keen on this name and really don't see the seasonal reference!! Apologises.

Euphemia - This name features in my family history. I do like this name everyone referred to Euphemia as 'Effie' which is an adorable nickname. I don't see the seasonal references to winter with this combination. Just because she's very elegant, soft (like snow) but has an icy frost like exterior. She feels very grand, like you'd find her set in a novel in a Victorian winter landscape.

Eleanor - Yes she does feel wintry. She's a strong name, a strong classic which works for any child with her range of nicknames from Elle to Lena. Eleanor is such a pretty choice. One of my favourites! She does feel wintry she reminds me of jack frost, winter landscapes and burning log fires. She's lovely.

Bronwen - Similarly with the other Welsh classics mentioned she does feel wintry!!

Lucinda - I hate lucy names but yes Lucinda does feel like a little christmas cherub name.

Agnes - Again not keen and don't understand the winter references you attach to this name.

Other suggestions:
    Belle
    Ivy
    Holly
    Juliet
    Amaryllis
    Mary
    Anastasia
    Clementine
    Wilhelmina
    Clara
    Eloise
    Rosemary

: )
    Last edited by tori101; November 12th, 2013 at 06:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tori101 View Post

Mabel - For me this name doesn't feel very winter inspired. Mabel is actually the total opposite for me. Mabel feels very southern belle. Reminds me of beautiful ranch in the middle of rural Southern states of America, bright sunshine, and horse riding. Mabel feels like she should belong to a blonde girl whose very southern - a southern belle - it's doesn't conjure up that image.

Philippa - I've never liked this name. For me it's unattractive. I do like the nickname Pippa though. Also she doesn't really conjure up any images for me. I don't understand how this name makes you think of winter. I don't really think of anything to be perfectly honest.

Josephine - For me Josephine is a gorgeous choice but she doesn't conjure up images of winter. Josephine feels more autumnal, she doesn't feel wintry. Josephine is a lovely name!

Madeleine - A lovely name but to be honest Madeleine feels fresh and spring like. Madeleine is a great name, I adore the French vibe of this choice and how the name feels very chic. But she feels open, spirited and fresh like a new beginning thus conjuring images of Spring. She has a beat in her step caused by the Maddie nickname.

Penelope - Lovely name but I really don't believe that this name is seasonally attached to any form of weather or season. For me Penelope conjures up images of mythology, Greece and the sea but not seasons. So I don't see the wintry appeal.

Aurelia - Again I really don't find this name very wintry. For me Aurelia feels fresh and golden. She reminds me of bright sunshine - a burning sun - heat, ice cream, warm beaches, and a bright blue ocean. Aurelia feels exotic like she's bathed in permanent sun, always exposed to heat. She's the opposite of wintry in my mind especially as her meaning is 'golden'.

Agnes - Again not keen and don't understand the winter references you attach to this name.

I think it all depends on the person's mindset :-) To me, anything with a 'bel/belle' ending is wintry to me.

Mabel reminds me of a Victorian little girl running to the window to watch snowflakes falling, then rushing to get her coat on and run outside to catch the falling flakes on her tongue.

Philippa makes me think of dancers getting ready to perform in the Nutcracker. Philippa reminds me of someone who might portray Clara in the play, so she'd be working tirelessly to perfect her dance routines.

Josephine is the feminization of Joseph, who was a very important biblical character in regards to Christmas, as he was Jesus' father. Joseph and Josephine both conjure up ideas of going to church on Christmas Eve for mass, then retiring home for hot chocolate while sitting beside a fireplace, anxiously awaiting to open the Christmas presents under the tree.

Madeleine reminds me of a dark haired little girl standing by the Christmas tree while her dad helps her put on her winter coat, hat, scarf and mittens, then the two of them running outside to build a snowman together.

Penelope is similar to Philippa for me, figure skaters, ballerinas, and, considering my favourite Christmas movie growing up was the Nutcracker (the Barbie edition, but it still counts), ballerinas are something I link to winter.

Aurelia does mean gold/golden, but, that actually made me think of the line from the song, The 12 Days of Christmas, '5 golden rings'.

Agnes is similar to Mabel for me. I picture a sweet little girl, scurrying around outside, trying to catch the falling snowflakes on her tongue.

Amaryllis is really growing on me, I like it :-) Blythe, Juliet, Clara & Eloise are wonderful as well :-) (Clementine is sadly a forever vetoed name for me).
    "While some of the brightest of our celestial bodies are actually extinct now, their energy long since cooled; miraculously, because they float in the heavens so far away from us now, their beautiful light will continue to shine on us forever, and the glow will be so bright, it'll warm your heart, it'll make your eyes glisten, and it'll make you think to yourselves; what a concept"