Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Newly approved Danish names

Here in Denmark, we have a hell of a system to go through when wanting to name children something unique. We basically have a list of pre-approved names that can be used and if the name you like isn't on the list it can basically take years to have it approved (especially with names that are more commonly being used as last names like Mærsk, Fjord etc.) Anyway, every year whenever someone apply to use a name and it gets approved, the name gets added to the list of approved names, and I thought it might be fun to post some of the names that were among the approved last year (I had a laugh myself):

BOYS:
    - Awesome (doesn't really need much of an explanation)
    - Barca (for hardcore Barca-fans, non?)
    - Blær ("at blære sig" means to show off, plus, bonus info, "en blære" is a bladder)
    - Cello (... yeah)
    - Cobra (though I'd never use it myself, it does sound quite fancy in Danish)
    - Dreng (meaning "boy" in Danish, it's kinda up there with the surprisingly old Danish name, Bror, which means "brother" and is rising up very fast, especially here in Copenhagen)
    - Faktor (clearly something for the immense X-Factor fan)
    - Haj (meaning "shark" in Danish, and the Danish word for hi is "hej", so the poor little boy named Haj will be facing a lot of Hej Haj's, poor thing)
    - Fru (meaning "Mrs.", why would anyone?)
    - Jazz (taking an unexpected turn down the celebrity baby name-lane)
    - Jura (to "læse jura" is to go to law school)
    - Kritte (I don't even know where to start with this one)
    - Laban (usually used as an affectionate word like saying "little bandit, you")
    - Ludo ("Ludo's over there playing Ludo with Backgammon", no obviously I'm kidding, Backgammon isn't an approved name ... yet)
    - Lurifax (basically same meaning as Laban)
    - Nam (meaning "yummy" in Danish)
    - Memo (oh dear god, in Danish we pronounce it kinda like Nemo)
    - Niks (meaning "nope" in Danish)
    - Offer (meaning both "victim" and "sacrifice" in Danish, I legitimately can't think of a reason why ANYONE would name their child that)
    - Og (meaning "and" in Danish)
    - Skak (meaning "chess" in Danish, the twin brother of Ludo?)
    - Skat (meaning "darling" or "love" in Danish, I bet that's gonna create a couple of awkward moments)
    - Sok (meaning "sock" in Danish)
    - Syver (meaning "seventh" in Danish, wouldn't it be the coolest thing if this little boy is actually the seventh sibling?)
    - Tung (meaning "heavy" in Danish and then you can say "ham der er tung" meaning [rough translation] that guy is stupid)

GIRLS:
    - Aloha (not as bad as the others)
    - Altan (meaning "balcony" in Danish)
    - Badr (something babies say when they spit out food they don't like, kinda like "ew")
    - Befri (meaning "free" in Danish as in 'Free Willy')
    - Charme (meaning "charm" in Danish)
    - Cirkel (don't need much of an explanation either, the Danish word for "circle", I'm actually surprised this just got approved, we have A LOT of Cirkelines who are named after this cartoon)
    - Dyne (meaning "duvet" in Danish)
    - Engel (meaning "angel" in Danish, now I understand why Angel is used because it's actually a pretty common name in Spanish-speaking countries, but Engel ... really?)
    - Europa (meaning "Europe" in Danish, I would suggest Parlamentet [meaning "parliament"] for an eventual brother or sister)
    - Fe (meaning "fairy" in Danish)
    - Fri (meaning "free" in Danish, but you can also "fri" meaning proposing)
    - Fryd (meaning "delight" in Danish, but you can also "fryde dig" meaning rejoicing over something)
    - Gift (meaning "poison" in Danish, but you can also "være gift" meaning being married, this is a horrible name for a Dane, oh dear god)
    - Gin (and Tonic for a younger sibling, perhaps?)
    - Gul (meaning "yellow" in Danish)
    - Glød (meaning "glow" in Danish)
    - Håb (meaning "hope" in Danish, clearly just someone who decided to be smart and translate Hope into Danish)
    - Musling (meaning "sea shell" in Danish, but it is also often used as an affectionate name like "baby")
    - Ninja (I'm actually pretty sure this is being pronounced Nin- as in Nina and -ja as in jah, or whatever)
    - Nitte (meaning "rivet" in Danish, but "en nitte" can also mean a nobody)
    - Ny (meaning "new" in Danish)
    - Ok (twin sister to Og, perhaps?)
    - Panda (poor girl)
    - Sommer (meaning "summer" in Danish, fittingly they could name siblings Forår ["spring"], Efterår ["autumn"] and Vinter ["winter"])
    Zelia • Twenty • Film, history and royalty connoisseur • I have a personal blog and one about royalty
    Exporting beautiful old Danish names, exotic Greenlandic names and Greenlandic sibling names
    Henry Ásgeirr Edmund • Amaury Charles Fyodor "Theo" • Alexander Adelin Lórien "Sasha" • Asa Edouard Ivik
    Cosima Ingrid Zenobia "Mimi" • Matilda Ivalo Galadriel "Tilda" • Gaia Margaret Undómiel • Asta Catherine Françoise "Shazza"

Oh boy, Lurifax made me laugh! My mum used to call me this when I was little. I think Fru, Kritte, Blær, Niks, Offer, Sok (why???), Dyne, Gift and Nitte are the worst ones.

I really like Fryd, Fe, Sommer and Syver (I know one by this name actually!). Musling is cute as a button.
    [FONT=Palatino Linotype][CENTER]My darling Marian Illyria Aphrodite, March 2013 & Little Bunny (a girl!) due 9th of February 2014[/CENTER][/FONT]

Lurifax is adorable as a nickname (I was Laban myself, haha) but I'm not so sure I would enjoy being Lurifax Nielsen. Sok is just ... that's just horrible. I also think Badr is bad, I don't even know how to pronounce it - it's a sound more than a word! And don't even get me started on Fru - for a boy!

Fryd sounds like a name from the Norse mythology when you say it in English, I like that one too.
    Zelia • Twenty • Film, history and royalty connoisseur • I have a personal blog and one about royalty
    Exporting beautiful old Danish names, exotic Greenlandic names and Greenlandic sibling names
    Henry Ásgeirr Edmund • Amaury Charles Fyodor "Theo" • Alexander Adelin Lórien "Sasha" • Asa Edouard Ivik
    Cosima Ingrid Zenobia "Mimi" • Matilda Ivalo Galadriel "Tilda" • Gaia Margaret Undómiel • Asta Catherine Françoise "Shazza"

Lurifax Nielsen might not sound so good, no. Badr is bad! Just awful... why would anyone do that? I've just had a big Danish phase (we went to Copenhagen and bought baby clothes and furniture for the baby's room) and after that I've watched an endless amount of Danish movies and tv shows. So now I hear Mads Mikkelsen and Sofie Gråbøl saying these names in my head...
    [FONT=Palatino Linotype][CENTER]My darling Marian Illyria Aphrodite, March 2013 & Little Bunny (a girl!) due 9th of February 2014[/CENTER][/FONT]

That is so rad, I hope you had a good time here
    And you know, hearing names (and just anything really) in the sound of Mads and Sofie is not bad at all, especially not with Mads - I could listen to his voice all day.