Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Lyra, the liar?

Unhappy Lyra, the liar?

I really like Lyra; but I worry people will think of liar before they think of lyre or lyre bird. Is it a problem?
    Jessica Emily Faith
    Living in the land of Oz...
    Ronan: For the sake of spicy, little boys wearing plaid shirts, running around in kneeless jeans, playing in the mud and being mischievous.
    Combo Considerations:
    ★Adela Meret ★ James Logan★ Jessie Pearl ★Everett Michael★ Winnie Noelle★ Elias Henry

They won't! At least not from my experience. The only problem I have, is that I live in Denmark and I don't like the way the pronounce my name the Danish way.
    Proud Auntie/cousin to;
    Noah (29-5-10), Silke (23-8-11), Sophia (18-11-11), Victoria (13-8-13) & little Alex (18-12-14)

Loved names
    Henry Oliver | Laurel Maria | Ianto Lior | Bobbie Frances | Cecil Oswald |

The lyre and the constellation. Not the liar. I love Lyra..
    Cynthia/Luna
    twenty-something name nerd. infj

Seraphina Juliette Estelle. Evangeline Laetitia Odette. Catalina Ariadne Helen. Valentina Bellatrix Yvaine
    Violetta Catherine Lenore. Isabelle Faustina Clare. Rosalind Anna Belphoebe
    Clementine Audrey Rowena. Helena Edelweiss. Talitha Caroline. Vanessa Rose Aphrodite

Peregrine Lysander James. Gavriel Alexander Callum. James Luca Auberon. Caspian Frederic Levi
    Perseus Arthur Flynn. Cassius Jason Ambrose. Damien Alexei Orion

That put me off using the name for our last baby. DP loved it, but all I could hear was liar, though I love the mythology and imagry of the name, the sound just didn't work for me.
    Mum to Mousie, Foo, Bumptious and Pudding.

That's somewhat a concern of mine, too, but we're definitely using it as a middle name because it's meaningful to us. We're using it to name future-child after Lyra from His Dark Materials, which is the first thing I think of when I hear Lyra. I don't think the "liar" issue is going to be a big one--it only came to mind for me when I started over-thinking things. It's such a beautiful name that people are going to notice that before they associate it with "liar!"

Expecting Baby Bear #1
    it's a GIRL!
    Rosalie Lyra
    due January 2016

Genevieve - Eloise - Rosalie - Cecelia - Adelaide - Felicity
    and
    Theodore - Oliver - Henry - Myles - Silas - Atticus