Names Searched Right Now:
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    I'm not finding out!! (or, as I like to joke, we'll find out EVENTUALLY, but not before the birth). It's our first baby. Yeah, I know what you mean about it feeling slightly hypothetical. When we were discussing finding out or not, I kind of wanted to and my husband kind of didn't...then by the night before the ultrasound we had sort of switched positions, and somehow we ended up with NOT finding out. I'm glad we did! But I wonder if my husband especially--who isn't feeling every little kick and flutter--has a harder time connecting with this unknown human being that we still refer to as "it".

As for names, I think it just requires the same discipline that naming a baby whose sex is known requires. If it's super important to you to have a name that flows well, or is unique, or has meaning, or whatever, yeah you'll have to put the work in, just like people who do know the sex. And you'll have to put in twice the amount of work, because you'll need one for each. But I know plenty of people who are just like "Oh, I like this name, you too? Ok cool that's what we'll go with" and that works just fine too. We are planning to narrow our list down to about 3 boy names and 3 girl names, and see what fits best when we finally get to meet our baby! Personally, I have a list about 70 strong for each, but when I bring names up to my husband, he usually says, "eh, they're OK." This is a problem that couples have whether they know the sex or not!

So congrats to you for doing it the "hard way," and from what I've heard, you and I won't regret it =) I work with a lot of grandparent-aged adults, and so many of them are absolutely delighted when I tell them we're not finding out beforehand (other than the sweet old grandmas who want to make me baby blankets!). And for the adults I work with who are my own generation, the ones who have waited also tell me "oh, it's the best, I wouldn't have done it any other way!!" The kids I work with have a field day with guessing. It's fun for everyone!
    Current favorites: Olive, Louise/Louisa, Magdalene/Madeline, Phillipa, Talitha, Mallory, Blythe, Eliza, Mercy, Talia; Calvin, Charles, Gideon, Abram, Jude, Reuben, George, Reid, Clark, Holden.

I'm kind of neutral. I could go either way because the gender wouldn't matter to me as long as I have a healthy baby.

Since this thread isn't about names I'm moving it to a more appropriate sub forum.

ETA:

Oops! Sorry I missed your last sentence. Moved back to Baby Names.
    Last edited by ikfly; November 8th, 2013 at 01:48 PM.
    Dany (Also known as Athena Danielle)
    Ice Cream!

Rosemary Gloria ~ Lilith Seraphine ~ Alaric Matthew ~ Henry Marcellus ~ Sebastian Rhys

I don't know what I would choose if/when I am pregnant. I think it would be cool to be surprised, but at the same time, I'm quite an impatient person, so I think I'd wanna know. As for worrying about not connecting with the baby if you do not know the gender - personally, I don't think it affects how you bond with the baby, but if you don't like calling the baby "it", you could come up with a gender-neutral cutesy moniker like Munchkin, Peanut, Bubba etc... and you never know, it might stick after birth too!
    ~ Sophie ~
    22 year old Britberry, science geek and name nerd

| Arthur | Barnaby | Chester | Dashiell | Edmund | Francis | George | Henry | Jethro | Lionel | Malcolm |
    | Nathaniel | Oliver | Phineas | Quentin | Rupert | Sebastian | Tobias | Vincent | Walter |

| Anneliese | Beatrix | Cordelia | Dorothy | Elspeth | Fiona | Gretel | Harriet | Jemima | Katherine |
    | Linnea | Margot | Nell | Olive | Prudence | Ramona | Sylvie | Tess | Vivienne | Willa |

I was Team Green, and I would do so again with a future pregnancy. The surprise and anticipation was absolutely wonderful.

Mama to Amelie Clara (2008) & Daisy Madeline (2013).

Alice Tallulah, Polly Matilda, Rosalie Faye, Lucy Annabel, Maya Lillian, Hazel Kate, Eva Blossom, Juliet Lila, Ivy Camille.
    Charles Joshua "Charlie", Theodore Samuel "Teddy", Elliott Daniel, Noah Zachary, James Oscar, Arthur Philip, Rowan Isaac.

My first pregnancy and there was never any doubt that my husband and I wanted to know. Prior to finding out, we were arguing over names and my husband said we can talk about it after we find out so at least we only have to discuss one lot of names! Especially since his view of picking names is having me read out a long list and just saying yes, no or maybe. Of course we've now ended up having a name of each sex just in case the 3 ultrasounds are wrong but it seemed to help us concentrate on finding a girl's name and we were much more relaxed when looking at boys' names since it was highly unlikely. In fact we had a boy's name picked out before we finalised our girl's name.

It's been nice to talk to the baby and refer to her as 'her'. We did have a nickname for the baby prior to finding out (Stormy short for Stormageddon Dark Lord of All and a Doctor Who reference). Since we've only settled on a name in the last week, we've been trying to practise it although we keep slipping!

Next baby, I'm definitely finding out the sex again!
    Proud mother to Hermione (born Feb 2014)! Thanks for everyone's input!

The girls: Amelia, Aurelia, Elodie, Hermione, Minerva, Oriana, Ophelia, Persephone

The boys: Asher, Bastian, Caspar, Caspian, Dashiell, Evander, Jasper, Oscar