Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: How Long...?

How Long...?

I'm just wondering how long it took you all to conceive. My OH and I have been trying for 3 1/2 months (not long at all considering 2 perfectly healthy people have a 20% of getting pregnant every month). But every month that passes with no BFP I get more and more discouraged. :/ Especially since so many people I know are pregnant or just had babies that weren't planned.

I worry that I'm not capable of getting pregnant. I had a semi-serious medical issue that went undiscovered for nearly a year and it can cause infertility the longer it goes untreated, but the doctor said the only way we'll know is if we try. I feel like I'm doing mostly everything right. I track my cycles, I know when I'm ovulating, I'm eating healthier. The only thing I haven't done is quit smoking. I know I need to but that's easier said then done. And on my OH's part he smokes and chews and doesn't eat the greatest but other than that we're both healthy.

I guess I just need some reassurance that not everyone just copulates and gets knocked up right away. LOL

Chey 👋
    In love with B. 💏
    EDD October 8th, 2014 💝

Top Choices:
    Wyatt William
    Still working on a girls name

I understand about the smoking. Although I knew I should quit, I never really wanted to quit until we started trying to have a baby. One day I just had to say to myself "Okay, that is just about enough of that," and stubbed out my cigarette.

If you'll allow me a little advice, even though I am sure you've heard it all! Lozenges helped me with the initial cravings, which were fierce and serious cravings. Unlearning habits was the next hard step, and many times I just wanted to screw it. But I had to tell myself that it wouldn't feel this way forever. And it doesn't. I also had a stop smoking app on my phone that calculated how much money I was saving and the number of cigarettes I've saved myself from. (I smoked about five packs a week, so I have saved over $1,000 since January, when I quit) The app also lets you know when you've reached health milestones, like cilia regrowth. You have to give yourself these little victories.

My husband quit a couple years before I did with Chantix. I have had people swear by it. If he still smoked, it would have been tougher for me.

To answer your question, it took us six months (intentional, timed, the whole thing) but everyone is so different. Do not be discouraged!
    Last edited by r_j; November 4th, 2013 at 01:28 PM.
    Mom to baby Leo

It is hard since most of my family and friends smoke so the temptation is always there. I do have plans to start trying to quit soon though, so I appreciate all the advice.

Chey 👋
    In love with B. 💏
    EDD October 8th, 2014 💝

Top Choices:
    Wyatt William
    Still working on a girls name

Our first daughter was a surprise, and we only had unprotected sex one time before I got pregnant. This time around, we just found out we are pregnant after 4 months of trying. It was hard actually trying to get pregnant and waiting and waiting to see if it worked. I know that 4 months isn't that long, but we wanted to keep to a timeline so 4 months was a long time for us. It was very discouraging getting negative results, but keep trying! It will happen for you, too!
    Proud Mommy to Maeby Alana born 8/6/10
    Expecting Girl #2 Saela Eliza due 7/12/14

You REALLY need to quit smoking! Seriously. Not only is it bad for your health, it's bad for your baby's health (once you're pregnant), and it really inhibits your fertility. Stopping smoking might be just what you need to get pregnant. Same goes for your husband (smoking affects male fertility too).

My husband and I have been trying for eight months now. We conceived last month, but miscarried. My doctor has told me seven months is average and plenty of healthy couples can take up to a year to fall pregnant. If it's longer than a year, you're considered as having fertility problems. Three months really isn't long, but I know it feels like an eternity. Just keep reminding yourself that's it's really normal to take a several months to conceive. People who conceive within the first few months of trying are just really lucky. In the meantime, you can always join in the conversation on the TTC thread.
    Alice - Beatrix - Clara - Daphne - Flora - Harriet - Mabel - Susannah

Albert - Barnaby - Edward - Frederick - Henry - Rupert - Theodore - Walter