Names Searched Right Now:
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Astoria?

Oregon, USA
    I also think of Astoria, OR which is pronounced eh-STOR-ee-uh.

I like place names, so this works for me and it sounds lovely.
    Sequoia Orion born November 2014
    Considerations for our next child's name: Cytheria, Caspian, Seraphina, Arcadia, Venture
    Middles: Beatrix, Dwyn, Jupiter, Violet, Zephyr, River

I personally really like Astoria for the same reasons and love that story could be a go-to nn. Also, not being American personally I would not at all associate the name with a neighborhood in New York nor a small town in Oregon or even a hotel. I think the name has a great sound and look to it and as for meaning nameberry has it's definition listed as "place name", but online on other name websites indicate that Astoria might mean "like a hawk" or "quail".

I think Astoria is pretty.
    Cecily Beatrice, Charlotte Ravenna, Aurora Valkyrie, Rosalyn Amoret, Melody Seraphina, Rosamund Madeline

Robin Lysander, Edmund Ludwig, Magnus Roland, Thorin Gaspar, Percy Beowulf, Erik Wesley, Tristan Emil

So what I'm getting is it looks pretty, is a place name, the nn Story might not go over well with everyone (what does), and a character in Harry Potter. I agree it looks pretty and I find the pronunciation pretty straight forward. I was raised in the South and recently went to NYC for the first time a year ago so I never knew it was a neighborhood in Queens and I'm not sure if that's a turn off or not. However, I'm okay with it being a "small Scandinavian town in Northwestern Oregon near the mouth of the Columbia River." - oboeplayer1 I love little place names like these.
    Thanks everyone!

I'd pronounce it A-STORE-ee-yah, 'a' as in 'apple', if that helps. I love it, very formal and classy. And the nickname Story is great!