Names Searched Right Now:
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    I personally, tend to not like naming girls boys names or boys girls names. Some are nice though for sure. I like feminine or spunky on girls and manly or soft on boys for my choices. Examples for girls: Olivia or Piper. Examples for boys: Fletcher or Noah. That's just my opinion

@dantea - I totally have a running list, too! It currently includes Leslie (more unisex - a 25 yr. old), Arin (a 4 yr. old - kinda unisex but kinda girly), Vivian (an older gentleman), One of my exes went by Ashley (his MN), Shannon (in his 20s), A few Lindseys my age, a few Kellys in their 40s and 50s. I would love to meet a little boy Willow

I agree that this thread is asking for trouble - if you want to name your son a particular name it might be better just to get a general feel for that specific instance, rather than generalizing.

I simply have the following to say on the subject of teasing and names:

Yes, having a teaseworthy name sucks when you'e growing up sometimes (trust me when I say my last name is pretty awful and I know what it is like to be teased about your name your whole entire life even into adulthood). But guess what? It gives you an amazing gift - you learn not to take yourself too seriously, and you learn how immature and insecure some people are when that is all they can think of to say to you. You learn to have pride in your identity, name and all. These are the lessons I plan to pass on to my children if they get teased about their names (or even if they don't), because I believe that if you choose a name you find beautiful and meaningful, it can't be a bad choice, and eventually your child will take pride in that, because they know their name is infused with love.
    Baby Sequoia Orion due October 2014!
    Other favorites: Cytheria, Arcadia, Seraphina, Caspian, Gideon

I have met adult men named Morgan, Bailey, Lindsay & Llewellen (not sure of the spelling on that one!) and all of them were confident & successful people that never mentioned bullying as something that influenced their life.

I think that today it's likely our kids will go to school with girls called Lincoln & Ellison, but they will also be around boys called Morgan and Elliot, girls named Fatima and Freja, boys named Bear and Behzad. Us moms just remember our 1990s suburban classrooms and fear name bullying, but there is so much more beautiful diversity in naming today. I think it's a matter of how much more multicultural and blended families are today AND that people approach naming (for better or for worse) as a means of self expression. Some people cringe at a girl called Micah or a boy called Evelyn or a girl called Sailor or Wynn or Poet, ect, but it's not going to stop it from happening.

I am not a big fan of unisex names or boy names on girls or surname names, but I do adore Alison on a girl. I also love Allie as a nickname for Alexander, so I don't cringe at softer names on boys. And with the popularity of Elijah and Luca, it seems I'm not alone.

So I guess, I am not shocked by either idea. However a girl called Brutus and a boy called Christina would raise my eyebrow!

Quote Originally Posted by iamamiam View Post
    There are plenty among us, especially those in the normal-childbearing-age crowd, who dislike traditionally boy names on girls. The premise that nobody seems to bat an eyelash anymore at traditionally boys names on girls is false. Plenty of us are just tired of talking about it and find it a suspect topic for trolls, so we just ignore threads like these. Will I disrespect children with these names? No, of course not. But I do find them silly and will think their parents have terrible naming taste, same as names with cre8tive spellings.
    Exactly this.
    The 3 Princesses in my life...

Elizabeth Hope
    Annabelle Cadence
    Madeleine Pearl

Quote Originally Posted by moonkai View Post

Yes, having a teaseworthy name sucks when you'e growing up sometimes (trust me when I say my last name is pretty awful and I know what it is like to be teased about your name your whole entire life even into adulthood). But guess what? It gives you an amazing gift - you learn not to take yourself too seriously, and you learn how immature and insecure some people are when that is all they can think of to say to you. You learn to have pride in your identity, name and all. These are the lessons I plan to pass on to my children if they get teased about their names (or even if they don't), because I believe that if you choose a name you find beautiful and meaningful, it can't be a bad choice, and eventually your child will take pride in that, because they know their name is infused with love.

Right on! I grew up with a tease-worthy last name myself