Names Searched Right Now:

Favorite Quotes about Names

What are your favorite quotes about names? Do you have some poetic ones, funny ones, thought-provoking ones? Please share!

Here are some of mine:

We wish our names eternally to live;
    Wild dream! which ne'er had haunted human thought,
    Had not our natures been eternal too.

-- Edward Young, from Night Thoughts

Everyone I know with an unusual name loves it. It's only the losers named Dave that think having an unusual name is bad, and who cares what they think. They're named Dave. -- Penn Jillette, on naming his daughter "Moxie."

A girl's name ending in 'a' – that always suggests a 'C' cup. -- the character Jubal Harshaw in Stranger in a Strange Land, by Robert A. Heinlein.

To name oneself is the first act of both the poet and the revolutionary. -- Erica Jong

My favourites:

'What's your name," Coraline asked the cat. 'Look, I'm Coraline. Okay?'
    'Cats don't have names,' it said.
    'No?' said Coraline.
    'No,' said the cat. 'Now you people have names. That's because you don't know who you are. We know who we are, so we don't need names.'
    - Neil Gaiman, Coraline

"Names are still magic; even Sharon, Karen, Darren and Warren are magic to somebody somewhere. In the fairy stories, naming is knowledge. When i know your name, I can call your name, and when I call your name, you'll come to me." - Jeanette Winterson, Lighthousekeeping
    [FONT=Palatino Linotype][CENTER]My darling Marian Illyria Aphrodite, March 2013 & Little Bunny (a girl!) due 9th of February 2014[/CENTER][/FONT]

A great idea for a post, Nephele! Here are are few quotes I love.

From our ancestors come our names, but from our virtues our honors.
    - A Proverb

A good name is rather to be chosen than great riches.
    - The Bible

Nicknames stick to people, and the most ridiculous are the most adhesive. ~Thomas C. Haliburton

The one thing I want to leave my children is an honorable name.
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Words have meaning and names have power.
    - Author Unknown
    All the best,
    Mischa.

The only one i have, that made me cackle like mad when i heard it, is not uplifting or thoughtful, so i apologize.

"Why name your daughter Megan?? Are you stocking up for a bitch shortage?" -Shirley, from the TV show Community
    I hope to be a mom one day. For now I enjoy being a name lover.

My apologies for any typos; i post from my mobile phone.