Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Baby Names and Resumes

Okay, so I seem to be reading in a lot of posts lately that picking a name that is too **insert adjective here** will hold your child back professionally, and I just read this positively lovely article which mentions names with regard to jobs (Starre Vartan - Top 7 reasons to give your child a 'weird' name)

Any thoughts?
    Sequoia Orion born November 2014
    Other favorites: Cytheria, Arcadia, Seraphina, Caspian, Gideon

First, we probably all agree there's a difference between unique names and made-up, kr8tive faux-names. Let's just set the latter aside for now.

With a really unique (but real!) name, there's no guarantee that someone looking at a resume will recognize it as such; he/she might lump it in with the kr8tive names. Beyond that concern, there's probably a difference in the way different employers view a really unique name. Writer or artist? Probably not much of a problem. Lawyer or stockbroker? Totally different story.
    #1 on the way!
    Why yes, I probably should be working!

Benjamin * Sebastian * Ezra * Edmund * Henry * Hugo * Cormac * Andrew * Winston * Levi * Zev * Theodore

Arabella * Aviva * Ariella * Maeve * Matilda * Eleanor * Catherine * Charlotte * Beatrice

My name is Amity, I am a pharmacist. Do I think my name has held me back? A definitive NO. Au contraire, as this article points out. It is more like being Madonna or Oprah. There was a guy in my graduating class who also has a unique name, and my supervisor recently asked if I knew him...basically feeling out for whether our company should consider hiring him. Had his name been Jon, for example, I might have had to think harder about whether I knew him, but unique names are easier to recognize and put with a face. So in fairly small career circles, it helps people know/remember who you are and make it easier for colleagues to put in a good word for you.
    Personal Favorites: Mira Cairdeas and Darrow Paine

Best Wishes To All

I agree with Freya, it also depends on who's looking at your resume. I think people with very weird or cutesy names will definitely have a harder time in life, not just with jobs. Take Tinkerbell or Luscious for example, they probably have some very awkward introductions. But rare legit names, on the other hand, can really stand out in a good way.
    http://www.onceuponatimebabynames.com/
    http://www.babynames.com/namelist/9772380 (please vote!)

Due December 13, 2014 (12/13/14) It's a boy!
    Zorina, Faustine, Castalia, Vasilisa, Indrina, Calluna, Anaxandra, Hildana, Selenia, Lisandra, Satyana
    ... Alaric, Silvan, Alistair, Stellan, Rainer, Evander or Evren, Caspian, Soren, Theron, Sander, Sven

I disagree with Freya. After all, if employee is interesting into speaking with you, there's a chance he will hire you if you make good impression and an interview is whole lot better chance of getting job than giving resume.
    Doubt he will want to waste time on someone he is not interested.

After all, if someone has relatively good education and experience, he will be hired no matter of his name or profession.
    Tristan Gilbert°Robin Amaury°Leon Percival°Edmund Theoderic°Finn Beowulf°Magnus Oberon°Thorin Elliot°Edric Maximilian°Emil Orlando°Roscoe Lucius
    Freya Marigold°Belle Seraphina°Leda Cassiopeia°Briony Rosaline°Charlotte Romilly°Lotus Dorothea°Aurora Nimue°Cecily Eliska°Mabel Celestina°Gaia Melisende
    girl & boy