Results 1 to 5 of 34
Thread: Desert Island Discs
November 1st, 2013 09:44 PM #1Senior Member
- Join Date
- Apr 2012
Desert Island Discs
I thought this would be a cool idea to get to know each other a little (and for musical inspiration). If you don't know already, Desert Island Discs is a long-running British radio programme where famous guests are asked to choose their eight favourite/most meaningful pieces of music, a luxury item and a book that they would take with them if they were a castaway on a desert island. It's one of my favourite things to listen to and I'm curious as to what others would pick!
So, pick eight of your most favourite songs, a good book and a luxury item (which must be inanimate and can't be used to escape!) You're automatically provided with the Complete Works of Shakespeare and the Bible (or other holy book). You're also supposed to say which of your eight songs is your absolute favourite, but I get that this is very hard for some people
I look forward to seeing what you guys choose
November 1st, 2013 10:03 PM #3
Okay, this is really hard. Honestly, I'd probably just take my favourite Bob Dylan album, which is Blood On The Tracks. This is all without a great deal of thought...
1. Like A Rolling Stone - Bob Dylan
2. Red Right Hand - Nick Cave
3. Money For Nothing - Dire Straits
4. Under Pressure - Queen/David Bowie
5. Short Skirt Long Jacket - Cake
6. Graceland - Paul Simon
7. Intergalactic - Beastie Boys
8. Push It - Salt n Pepa
Book: To Kill A Mockingbird by Harper Lee
Luxury item: Lip balmFirst baby due on September 7, 2015!
Audrey - Beatrice - Clara - Daphne - Jane - Margaret - Susannah - Violet
August - Barnaby - Edward - Frederick - Henry - Rupert - Theodore - Walter
November 1st, 2013 10:07 PM #5Senior Member
- Join Date
- Jul 2012
- London, England
I take this waaaay too seriously (Husband and I both, we do this all the time!) so I will need to think and get back to you. I just wanted to say; what a cool idea for a thread!!![FONT=Palatino Linotype][CENTER]My darling Marian Illyria Aphrodite, March 2013 & Little Bunny (a girl!) due 9th of February 2014[/CENTER][/FONT]
November 1st, 2013 10:51 PM #7
1. The Day You Come - Powderfinger
2. Chemical Heart - Grinspoon
3. No Man's Land - Something For Kate
4. Dark Side Of Love - Birds Of Tokyo
5. Buttons - Josh Pyke
6. Stranger Things Have Happened - Foo Fighters
7. Landscape - Florence + The Machine
8. What You Want - John Butler Trio
Book: Harry Potter (I'm sure I could get all 7 in one book?)
Luxury item: my knitting bag. Fully stocked, of course.Mother to Evelyn Heather and Callum Richard
Currently loving: Annabel, Hamish, Bethany, Liam, Violet, Lachlan, Isla, Lennon, Amelie, Callum, Claire, Reuben, Fiona, Rowan, Aurora, Connor, Ever
November 1st, 2013 11:37 PM #9
An inanimate luxury item? Phooey. I would have brought my husband
Music is going to be so so so so difficult...I have such a huge collection, and it's such a deep passion of mine! Let's see...I'll need songs that I never get tired of, and representations of several different genres so I have something for each mood...and at least one of them has to be Evanescence.
1. Lithium OR My Heart is Broken by Evvies - I know it's cheating, but I literally CANNOT choose. It would be a close my eyes, snatch one at the last minute, and let fate decide kind of thing
2. Boadicea by Enya
3. Kamikaze by Owl City
4. Whispers in the Dark by Skillet
5. Amaranth by Nightwish
....now I'm getting stuck....uhm...
6. Fairyland by Angelzoom - to keep the magic alive
7. Grand Banks Newfoundland by James Galway and Phil Coulter - because I need an instrumental and this is unearthly
Eep, the last one! This is a traumatizing experience O.o
8. When I'm Sleeping by Ashes of Eve....I'd probably wish later that I had chosen something more hardcore, but I feel like I'd need the dreamworld.
Ugh, and I've still left out whole genres...oh well.
Book - The Raging Quiet, by Sherryl Jordan. No contest. I've read it upwards of 25 times and each time it's like visiting a beloved friend.
Luxury Item - Is there a size limit on this? Because if not, I'm going to say my bed. Seriously. We call it the Cloud Bed, it was a wedding present from the grandparents, and it is the biggest, softest, fluffiest thing in the entire world. I am way more happy than I should be to come home to it every day!Zion Nathaniel ~ Solomon Fable ~ Balthazar Wolf ~ Malachi Sparrow nn Kai ~ Tobias Rowan ~ Caspian _____
Alice Willow ~ Ophelia Wren ~ Juliet Snow ~ Lucia Pearl ~ Eve Wisteria nn Evie ~ Cosima Rose ~ River Seraphine ~ Elowen Briar
Narnia Rose, Astoria nn Story, Illyria, Serafina, Soraya, Faerydae
Orion Melchior North, Tobias Loki, Edmund, Frost, Oberon, Kenshin, Remiel, Atreyu