Results 6 to 10 of 34
Thread: Desert Island Discs
November 2nd, 2013 01:35 AM #6
1. The Galway Girl by Steve Earle
2. I'm Gonna Be (500 Miles) by The Proclaimers
3. Gang of Rhythm by Walk Off The Earth
4. All I Want Is You by Barry Louis Polisar
5. Moves Like Jagger by Maroon 5
6. Elle Me Dit by MIKA
7. You Make All My Dreams Come True by The World & Band
8. Shooting Stars & Fairy Tales by Mrs Greenbird
(Basically all my happy dance songs)
Book: Daughter of the Forest by Juliet Marillier
Luxury Item: My pillowIngrid | Kit | Esclarmonde | Alistair | Susanna | Emun
November 2nd, 2013 11:21 AM #8Senior Member
- Join Date
- Jul 2012
- London, England
This was very hard.
My eight songs. I could've filled the list with Tori Amos songs and been happy, but I tried to be a bit more diverse than that. I've chosen songs based on voice more than anything else.
1. Pandora's Aquarium by Tori Amos. The ending song on my favourite album, From the Choirgirl Hotel. Pandora's Aquarium is light and dark at the same time, it's liquid, shimmering and delicious. Tori's voice is at her best, from high to low and everything in between. The piano is front and centre. It's of deep personal significance to me, and makes me happy even though it's pretty melancholic.
2. Winter by Tori Amos. If I have to be stranded on an island without my daughter, I need this song. I sing this to Dita every evening. It's her song. It's a song of the relationship between a parent and a child. Deeply moving, and the song that made me fall in love with Tori Amos 20 years ago.
3. Cripple and the Starfish by Antony and the Johnsons. His voice is pure magic, like strands of silver caught in a glass jar. This song is deeply upsetting and haunting, but his voice is clear as a silver bell and the lyrics are to die for. In a violent way.
4. You Left Me a Song by Heather Nova. Hers is the most beautiful voice in the whole wide world ever. Her lyrics are poetry. This is my favourite, and it's my Husband song as well, so double tick!
5. Wuthering Heights by Kate Bush. My sister and I used to dance to this when we were little so it brings me plenty of childhood memories. It's one of my favorite songs by Kate, and since I won't bring Wuthering Heghts as my book, this is a good substitute.
6. Re:stacks by Bon Iver. Love Justin Vernon. This song is sweet, haunting and simple. "Your love will be safe with me", those are words I'd like to listen to on a desert island. It's one of the lovesongs that reminds me most of Husband, and if I'm going to be without him... I need this one.
7. Greek Song by Rufus Wainwright. Because I'd need some sweet happiness, and this song is the happiest, summeriest, most joyous delight I can think of. Feels like a holiday in Greece.
8. Lust by Tori Amos. I need a magical song. This is all gorgeous, gossamer light running through forests of lost love music. And her voice is so beautiful and haunting, echoing in this one. And I love the lyrics, amazing marriage song.
Book: I'm torn between a really, really good story and poetry. I think I'd go with The Collected Works of Alfred, Lord Tennyson though, I never get tired of reading poetry and his collect works cover almost everything I love.
Luxury Item: An endless supply of wine (bottles, and I'd like them to arrive in cardboard boxes)! Allegrini Amarone, labels custom made for me with photos of my daughter and husband, and sweet childhood ones. I'd also like my arsenal of weapons, but I guess I could make my own bow and arrows, and hunting sticks. Rocks could be knives. Yeah, I'm going with the wine. The desert island would feel better after some vino.
Last edited by ottilie; November 2nd, 2013 at 11:39 AM.[FONT=Palatino Linotype][CENTER]My darling Marian Illyria Aphrodite, March 2013 & Little Bunny (a girl!) due 9th of February 2014[/CENTER][/FONT]
November 2nd, 2013 03:21 PM #10
This was really hard!! Okay:
No particular order on the songs, just as they came to my head-
1) Banana Pancakes- Jack Johnson (my dads special song for me)
2) Bubbly- Colbie Calliet (my oldest favorite)
3) everything has changed- Taylor Swift (just love this one)
4) Jitterbug- Harry Connick Jr. (Vivid memories of dancing and singing to this with my dad as a kid)
5) Running outta moonlight -Randy Houser (needed some country on the list)
6) she's county- Jason aldean ( see above, also needed some faster songs)
7) drops of Jupiter- train ( I love to sing to this, and singing would make the island feel a little better)
8) don't know why I didn't call- no idea (I spend every summer at my aunts cabin, and she plays her iPod 24/7, and this is the most played song on it. So many memories have this as the background music).
Book: dispite the username, to kill a mockingbird will always be my favorite book.
Luxury item: my volleyball, signed by my team
Last edited by thefaultinourstars; November 3rd, 2013 at 01:26 AM.
Clara Lily, Rose Madeleine, Belle (need mn), Tessa Charlotte. Lucy, Emma, Elsa, Maggie, Lena, Lily, Leah, Lila, Ella, Aria, Annabel, Ivy, Charlotte, Elizabeth, Talia
Seth Alexander, James (need mn), William Samuel. Luke, Caleb, Leo, Liam, Samuel, Jacob.
Loving life, God, my family, my friends, books, writing, the ocean and volleyball!
"The most wasted of days is one without laughter" - E. E. Cummings
November 2nd, 2013 05:11 PM #12
1. Wuthering Heights - Kate Bush
2. The Quiet Things That No One Ever Knows - Brand New
3. In Dreams - Roy Orbison
4. Welcome to the Black Parade - My Chemical Romance
5. Dancing in the Dark - Bruce Springsteen
6. Promises - Def Leppard
7. The Boys Are Back - Dropkick Murphys
8. Is This Love - Alison Moyet
Book: The Bible
Luxury Item: My bed!♥ Margaret Mary ♥
20. Name nerd. College sophomore. Identical twin.
★ Elza Josephine ★ Harriet Corliss ★ Ida Rosemary ★ Mary Jessamine ★ Rose Christabel ★ Sarah Margaret ★
★ Asher Benedict ★ Gabriel August ★ James Fletcher ★ John Constantine ★ Noah Alexander ★ Samuel Ernest ★
November 2nd, 2013 05:27 PM #14
This is such a good thread idea! I always find this really difficult, but I'll have a think - meanwhile, am loving everyone else's answers!