Names Searched Right Now:
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Ophelia

Beautiful name! Rich, rounded, voluptuous vowels! Literary allusion! I like it!

-- Nephele

I like Ophelia! I would give her the nickname Opie. There's a young girl with a fashion blog and her name is Ophelia Horton. The name fits her pretty well and works as a modern name.

I am wholeheartedly in the Ophelia camp. Far from just being another Juliet who killed herself over a lost love, Ophelia has resilience, tenacity, and power all her own. She played a subtle and dangerous game with those flowers of hers...on the surface she was just a crazy girl flinging around bouquets of weeds, but with the symbolism of those flowers, she was accusing the king and queen of treachery and adultery in front of the whole court. She's a different kind of heroine, fragile but brave and defiant in her own way....her story resonates deeply with me.

The name itself is soft and ethereal and beautiful, like mermaid hair and white chiffon, all gossamer and wreaths of fog. I love how insubstantial and romantic it is. Is it modern? No. But there's an elusive timeless quality to the name. It could work on anyone.
    Zion Nathaniel ~ Solomon Fable ~ Balthazar Wolf ~ Malachi Sparrow nn Kai ~ Tobias Rowan ~ Endymion _____ nn Ender ~ Caspian _____
    Alice Willow ~ Ophelia Wren ~ Lucia Pearl ~ Eve Wisteria nn Evie ~ Cosima Rose ~ River _____

GPs
    Narnia Rose, Luna Seraphine, Astoria nn Story, Illyria, Serafina, Soraya, Faerydae
    Orion Melchior North, Tobias Loki, Edmund, Frost, Oberon, Kenshin, Remiel, Atreyu

Agree with Sessha. It's beautiful, and I've always had a fondness for the character. And just because someone has a mental illness it doesn't mean she's weak...

It's shooting up the charts in England, I believe it's ranked just below #400. I hear the name quite often, and I don't see it as old lady at all. It's beautiful, haunting and dramatic.
    [FONT=Palatino Linotype][CENTER]My darling Marian Illyria Aphrodite, March 2013 & Little Bunny (a girl!) due 9th of February 2014[/CENTER][/FONT]

It sounds beautiful, but I can't stand the character at all. I've only read the play once and admit there's a lot I don't get, but I hate how Ophelia listens to her father and Laertes whatever they say and doesn't stand up for herself, Hamlet or their relationship.

That being said, I love the idea of naming a child after a beloved character.
    ~Love names, literature, royals and horses~ <3

Favourite names:
    Girls: Azalea, Cordelia, Elizabeth, Rosalind, Portia, Felicity, Juliet, Scarlett
    Boys: Fitzwilliam, Sebastian, Percival, Prospero, Orlando, Darcy