Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Ophelia

Ophelia

Just curious about how people feel about Ophelia. It is definitely a favorite fantasy name, but could it ever be acceptable on a modern little girl?

Well, as it is my favourite girl name and I simply adore it, I have to say yes.
    I think it's absolutely beautiful and doesn't at all belong in the GP category. I think as soon as someone meets an Ophelia, they'll get a new, better association with the name than they had before (if they had one).
    If I could ever use it on a child in the future, I would in a heartbeat.
    The "bullying-factor" (which people talk about quite a lot) isn't really that big either as people who know who "Ophelia" is, are usually out of the "teasing-stage" and if not, they're idiots and would bully the kid no matter which name they have.
    Polly

currently loving

Ophelia | Leonor | Penelope

Flora is back!

August | Caspar | Elliott | Oscar | Theo

I think it's a very pretty name. Unfortunately the negative association with the play (which doesn't worry me when it comes to bullying, but with my child not liking that association when they grow older), and the potential teasing of 'I-feel-ya' makes me hesitate. It's one of those names I would love to see on someone else's child but would never give to my own.
    Delicious autumn! My very soul is wedded to it, and if I were a bird I would fly about the earth seeking the successive autumns. ~George Eliot

I just think of a girl bullied until she goes mad and kills herself. I feel the same about most of the girl names from Shakespeare's tragedies. It's a pretty name, but I like Odelia better, which is almost the exact same name. It means "I will praise the Lord" or "wealth".

I also like these similar names:

Ophelie
    Ophira -- gold
    Odelette -- song
    Last edited by dantea; November 2nd, 2013 at 02:51 PM.
    Mother, Hellenic Pagan Priestess, and Resident Greek name expert ^_^ Call me Dantea or Remy

http://covertocoverediting.webs.com/ -- Editing services available for cheap.

Proud Mama to:
    Persephone Elysia Willow -- June 5th 2013
    TTC #2 by Christmas 2014

Honestly, Ophelia sounds like an old lady name. Not good for a modern girl at all.
    --Carla
    Mommy to Eva Lily Catherine, b. 1/31/2014