Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thoughts about Eve

We're expecting next spring, and I'm trying to sell my husband on Eve for a girl. He's understandably worried about the negative associations (subservient, evil, destructive woman). I think the name has a life of its own apart from the Biblical context.

What's your initial reaction to Eve? Thanks for the thoughts!
    Mom to Luke Russell & James Reece

How serious those concerns are probably depends on how religious your community is. Even if Eve is a lovely name apart from the Bible, if you live in a community where most people's exposure to the name is limited to that one story you do have to consider the likely effect of that.

Do you like any of the names that are similar to Eve? Eden, Evelyn, Eva, etc?
    #1 on the way!
    Why yes, I probably should be working!

Benjamin * Sebastian * Ezra * Edmund * Henry * Hugo * Cormac * Andrew * Winston * Levi * Zev * Theodore

Arabella * Aviva * Ariella * Maeve * Matilda * Eleanor * Catherine * Charlotte * Beatrice

I love Eve! As a Christian, I have a positive association with the name, even with knowing about biblical Eve (who, despite her transgressions, I am rather fond of).

Have you suggested Eva to him?
    Current favorites:
    Cora . Louisa . Lydia . Mary

My Adoption Journey

We live in a liberal area of a conservative state, so I don't think it would be a major issue. Husband has nixed Evelyn and though I like Eva I worry it's too close to mega popular Ava. Glad to hear positive associations, casilda!
    Mom to Luke Russell & James Reece

I think Eve is a beautiful name, lovely in her simple femininity. I agree that she has a life separate from the Biblical context but that is probably the main reference people have of the name - until they meet your daughter .