Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sorcha pronunciation

Question to the Berries!

I am a huge fan of the name, Sorcha, but when I researched it on Nameberry, I learned that its pronunciation is not what I expected. I had always thought that it would be pronounced like its alternate, Sorsha, but discovered that the "c" actually has a hard sound.

"A popular Irish name virtually unknown here — with a pronunciation that's far from obvious. It's basically SOR-ca, but with a little hiccup between the 'r' and the 'c' that's near-impossible for the English speaker to reproduce. Other phonetic pronunciations given are sir-eh-ka, sur-aka and surk-ha."

I far prefer the Sorcha spelling to the Sorsha spelling, but also far prefer the soft "s" pronunciation to the hard "c" pronunciation. My fear in using Sorcha, but pronouncing it with the "s" sound is that I'll appear uneducated or that a future daughter might think poorly of the choice.

What do you think, is it foolish to consciously mispronounce a name?

Surr-ik-ah and Sor-sha are both legitimate pronunciations of the same name. Sorsha is somewhat more Anglicised, Surr-ik-ah is more authentic, but they are both widely accepted

Mama to Amelie Clara (2008) & Daisy Madeline (2013).

Lucy, Ivy, Maya, Clara Rosabel, Victoria, Alice, Molly, Juliet, Annabel, Sofia.
    Charlie, Arthur, William, Isaac, Noah, Finn, Vincent, Alexander, Zachary, Oscar.

SURR-uh-kuh (sorry, not very good at spelling out pronunciations) is technically the correct pronunciation but I've heard that it is SOR-ka in the north of Ireland but I'm not certain. I know it looks like a good anglicisation of Soairse but it's not pronounced the same. Although, in countries other than Ireland people would probably pronounce it Sor-sha so it would probably be fine.
    Just an 18 year old weirdly obssessed with names, no babies in the near future

Aila Anwen Arianwen Aveline Calla Caoimhe Cosima Fionnuala Hazel Hestia Josephine Rowan
    Alaric Asa Evander Ezra Jasper Leander Lucas Orion Perseus Ruairi

Sorcha and Saoirse are different names - Sorcha is the Irish for Sarah and Saoirse is the Irish word for freedom.

Mama to Amelie Clara (2008) & Daisy Madeline (2013).

Lucy, Ivy, Maya, Clara Rosabel, Victoria, Alice, Molly, Juliet, Annabel, Sofia.
    Charlie, Arthur, William, Isaac, Noah, Finn, Vincent, Alexander, Zachary, Oscar.

i have no knowledge of irish names so if i saw this name on paper i would be inclined to pronounce it sor-sha. and i rather like it!